How many amps do you actually use?

Friedman BE for gain
TX Star Lead for clean.

With new CLR's, I will revisit things of course. I've been using a matrix and mesa cab for awhile with out standing results, so I'm having fun with the honeymoon phase again.

I can't seem to get the same punch and spank out of other clean amps, as bad as that just sounded. I couldn't help typing it anyway :lol

I love some of the Dumble amps and some of the other boutique Marshall models, but I always drift back towards my Friedman patch settings. Instead, I tend to vary my tones with the woods in my guitars....Mahagony ,Alder, Maple, Korina, Rosewood, Etc...

When it comes down to it, you get lost fast with no anchor point and all of those amps. My guitars tend to stay more consistent than something with knobs and dials.

View attachment 18774 Clean posted on request. back soon with the gain...

Last edited:
think about this though....you are using a 3k dollar modeler and only using 3-5 amps....but many of those amps are in the 2-4k range per amp....so it's still a STEAL. Getting 6k to 20k worth of amps on stage with you at any given time...not counting fx...not counting cabs and speakers....
No doubt.. find your grove.... it's there,,,, add fingers, take your vintage and special guitars and suck it.
It will always be in the hands,,, sorry... Fractal has given you the tools,
so no excuses any longer. either you kick ass or,, practice a bit more.
I like to kick ass and rub against super model gals in the audience.
Uh huh!!!

Thanks Cliff!

Last edited:
Mostly use only two amps as my 'go to' amps: Shiva Clean (for clean) and Shiva Lead (for driven sound). I try some others models from time to time but keep coming back to those two. Personally I really don't need 200 amps.

My gotos are the Princeton Reverb, the Swart Atomic Space Tone and always, since the Gen 1 days, I've got to have a nice Plexi. Plexi 50 watt with a 4*12 loaded with Greenbacks is just made of win. Cornford MK II is amazing, too.

My newest love is the Komet Concorde.

Between all those amps, cabs, plus effects, you're looking a a ton of money in gear.

I do like that Fractal models lots of boutique gear, not just Fender, Marshall, Mesa.

Not to flame or anything but I wanted to point out this amusing contradiction in terms. Marshall and Fender are the exact opposite of "boutique" in the context of amplifiers.

I believe he means things like the Friedman and Badger models. Essentially small manufacturer takes on Marshall circuits.

I was always under the impression that the term meant as coming from the small makers themselves, without regard to the source of the design.

No it refers to the source. It's boutique versions of classic circuits. There are actually only 3 or 4 basic types of amps then multiple takes/flavors/versions of those.

I was always under the impression that the term meant as coming from the small makers themselves, without regard to the source of the design.

I love me an intellectual leather-neck! Good on ya, sir, and a Merry Christmas to you and yours! :)

A different one every day.
I look at it this way - it's as if I'm in a room with hundreds of amps.
Why would I only play on one or two?

To find, develope your own tone/sound...why the best bands / players dont play 20 amps
even they can effort?...nothing against the idea of trying all amps, dont get me wrong.

A different one every day.
I look at it this way - it's as if I'm in a room with hundreds of amps.
Why would I only play on one or two?

Three models and one real:

Double Verb (clean)
Buttery (mid gain)
Mk IIC+ (the real one in 4CM) (crunch)
USA Lead 2 (lead)

Also have a TS808 or Tube Drive in front of those when needed. I know it's a little weird to use the real IIC+ for crunch and a Mesa model for leads, but I have the model set for a smoother, more compressed sound than I'd use for a crunch tone.

Last edited:
To find, develope your own tone/sound...why the best bands / players dont play 20 amps
even they can effort?...nothing against the idea of trying all amps, dont get me wrong.
I do a lot of recording, tv shows, commercials etc. - Not boxed in to any one sound.

Back
Top Bottom