How loud should the fan be?

I've never heard the fan in my 3. Maybe it's because my pc is louder. Inconsequential anyway. It's not being tracked and playback is way louder. For me at least.

I've never heard the fan in my 3. Maybe it's because my pc is louder. Inconsequential anyway. It's not being tracked and playback is way louder. For me at least.
I never heard it either until I built a silent PC. Now I do. It's not loud, but it's noticeable in the absence of any other sound.

Mine growls ,only bugs me when playing near it quietly. The sound on mine from air movement is tiny. it's motor ,fan vibration that is my prob....

It was noticeable above my PC. It is quite audible after I got a MacBook Air M1. It's just on the edge of being kind of annoying. When I am not playing, and the Axe-FX3 Mk2 is on as a sound card, I definitely notice it every time the fan turns off.

Pull the lid, and the fan rarely spins at 70 degrees farin . There is no active ventilation. The fan just moves hot chassis air around the cpu . Also the lid amplifies the fan noise. High voltage inside disclaimer ! Will be doing some form of silent fan upgrade. For loud playing this would be not needed. In my humble opinion...

Last edited:
To some degree what is "loud" depends entirely on one's hearing thresholds, as well as the frequency range of the noise. As some of you guys know, I'm an audiologist for my day job, so I test hearing (and some other diagonistic stuff of the ears and balance system) and I get plenty of folks in who's auditory thresholds start about 30-40 dB and nose dive from there, maybe not even being able to perceive 3 or 4 kHz until its at like 70+ dB

Those guys aren't going to hear any "hiss" from an amp or monitor speaker, aren't going to hear any fan noise etc. They also don't hear the beep of the microwave, have no idea what a soft spoken female waitress or cashier asks them etc etc. Its all kind of relative as far as hearing levels go, but also what people can get used to. Some people's brain is really good at "tuning out" a certain noise where they just aren't really aware of it, even if its fairly loud. Other people have kind of the opposite issue, misophonia, and certain sounds, while not very loud, just drive them crazy and produce a lot of emotional distress, which can turn to physical distress.

I don't have misophonia over fan noise, but I have had monitor speakers before who's "hiss" was just too distracting to me, didn't want to me around them doing anything because I felt like I couldn't not hear it, if that makes sense...

Point basically being, aware of sound and physical intensity levels of sound don't have to go hand and in. Think of it this way, people who live near a train track sleep through the train, even though the thing can be like 80 or 90dB, physically loud and its totally cool. At the same time, a very soft sound, barely audible, like 20 dB can be very annoying/disturbing/et al, if its like the sound of your parents have sex in the next room. Very soft, but you darn well probably don't want to be hearing that!

Auditory perception is an interesting field, but it keeps my job fun. Vision in comparison is pretty boring, 20/20 is the same for everyone. No one wants to have glasses that make things just a little fuzzy etc.
For guys that can't here the fan in a quiet setting , go get tested for hearing loss. Not a flame just a concern.

You could check out post #133 and #146. Doesn't cost much and easy enough to try. I just have the fan resting on the silicone rivets. I don't hear it at all unless putting my ear up to the case. It's what worked for me. My 3 never moves(or gets turned off) ;)

A lot of infos, Time to upgrade mine MK I to noctua, is it 12 V? NF-A8 ULN seems to be the most silent one.

1632024738121.png

Back
Top Bottom