How long have you been playing guitar (or bass, or whatever).

How long have you been playing guitar??

• Less than 1 year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-5 years

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 5 - 15 years

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Since Moses wore short pants (over 15 years)

Votes: 88 84.6%

• Total voters
I got my first guitar back in 1991, a Marina Concord Version, kind of cool with a Kahler Spyder FR tremolo, but played it only for one year and a half since then I started the University and there was no time for guitar playing, and afterwards I started to work full time, ladies and all their complications ..... so it stood in its bag until 2007, when I decided to retake it and by then I was already 33. Since then I have tried to play consistently but 45 / 60 mins a day is my max aspiration at the moment.

But it is my moment, and I love it.

Well, this is difficult because I bought my first guitar (Martin D12-20 - great starter guitar) in 1989, but I did not "play" it in any acceptable sense of the word ;~)) I made noise with it on and off until about 2006 when I learned to play more than 3 chords, which was incredibly easier to do on a 6 string electric, whooda thunk it!! Been a musician for 50+ years! Still suck!!!

44 years, but only 43 seriously!

(That’s how we would always say it back in the day, like, “How long have you been playing guitar?” Answer would be like “3 years, but only 2 seriously”

Since I was 14, so 20 years. There are 15 year olds at Guitar Center that can play me under the table but luckily my penchant for alt-metal doesn't require anything that difficult to pull off.

I now need to put my reading glasses on to read the comments. Lol. Received my first guitar for my 15th birthday in 1985. I remember asking my parents for a guitar since I was around 9 or 10 years old. I don’t think they could afford to buy me one at that time.

About 51 years, off and on, since finding my Dad's old no-name Sears Roebuck parlor guitar in my Granddad's attic at age 12. Never quite moved beyond the intermediate stage, and backslid to hobbyist stage many times, forgetting what I'd previously learned. Today, just hoping to dial in some nice tones and keep my chops up.

About 51 years, off and on, since finding my Dad's old no-name Sears Roebuck parlor guitar in my Granddad's attic at age 12. Never quite moved beyond the intermediate stage, and backslid to hobbyist stage many times, forgetting what I'd previously learned. Today, just hoping to dial in some nice tones and keep my chops up.
I learned on a $25 Montgomery Wards Airline guitar which of course had horrendous action. Must have really wanted to learn badly not to give up playing that thing. Decades later I was playing a guitar in a music store and the guy next to me says "Damn dude, why do you fret so hard?" I didn't know I did, but I immediately knew why.

I learned on a $25 Montgomery Wards Airline guitar which of course had horrendous action. Must have really wanted to learn badly not to give up playing that thing. Decades later I was playing a guitar in a music store and the guy next to me says "Damn dude, why do you fret so hard?" I didn't know I did, but I immediately knew why.
Yup. My Dad's old guitar had sat in Granddad's attic for several decades, in a chipboard case. That thing had bellied, the neck bowed, and the strings were thicker than fence wire. I think the first song I ever learned to play was the lead intro melody to "Secret Agent Man." The guitar action was like yours...about a quarter-inch off the fretboard...

Eventually, I gradually learned to play on a nylon string and then, a couple years later, a Yamaha FG-160 my Dad bought for me one Xmas. My Dad encouraged my acoustic practice (But..."Stop playing those da*n minor chords, son!) but didn't want me playing an electric.

I needed to try my wings and eventually bought a Gibson SG ($400) and Peavey Classic 50W ($200) plus strap and coily cord for $670 from my pre-college savings back in 1976. So when Dad was away at work, I'd grab my SG and hammer away at it.

I think I must have fretted about as hard as you did (Pete Townshend grip/style) and was all sloppy for many years, picking up songs via vinyl and Dad's old HeathKit basement stereo. That's how you learned back then..couldn't afford lessons and forget about the internet, that was years away in the early-90s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom