How long does a guitar that stays in tune actually stay in tune?

Hey Cooper - that's interesting and makes sense to me. I think an issue is there's a lot of YouTube videos to sift through to learn the "right way" to string an LP for example. I can find 1/2 dozen to dozen consistent techniques, some outliers, and then all of them different from what Gibson says.

Still even better to go with GOTOHs maybe?? I really don't know, I'm a dumb caveman that wants to make noise lol

What do you think about this technique?

I use it but I'm not sure if it's really good enough.

Last edited:
Gotta agree. Have locking tuners on everything and it just works.
The only guitar I have with normal tuners is my gibson, but they will be replaced soon. Next on the list.

But the additional weight is the issue for a nearly neck overweighted SG. Addionally the strings can be damaged more easily if you use lighter locking tuner variants based on additional special key/screwdriver.

Last edited:
Never heard about it. Thanks, but stay ever in tune but bending is easily still possible, it that true?

That doesn't seems to be true ...
"So to answer your question, if string bending is important to you, avoid an Evertune. You'll spend more time dicking with it than it's worth."

Once it's setup properly you can do bends just like a regular guitar. You can set it to NOT do that, but I don't know anybody that does.

There's a lot of misconceptions about the bridge on the internet. Often by people who have no real world experience with it or people who simply don't understand how to use it. I can't speak to what random reddit users are doing with it, BUT, there are a plethora of players using it professionally. In the studio and on stages. All of them are bending and doing vibrato lol.

When I left the Netherlands for France in 1992 I left my fender Japan double fat strat in the attic of a friend who lived close to Rotterdam. I picked it up in 1998 and I swear it was still in tune....for 30 seconds, the time it took the rusted strings to break😉.
Actually the most influential parameter is temperature during live performances, after a break or between songs if I change guitars, it's safer to check tuning.

Once it's setup properly you can do bends just like a regular guitar. You can set it to NOT do that, but I don't know anybody that does.

There's a lot of misconceptions about the bridge on the internet. Often by people who have no real world experience with it or people who simply don't understand how to use it. I can't speak to what random reddit users are doing with it, BUT, there are a plethora of players using it professionally. In the studio and on stages. All of them are bending and doing vibrato lol.
You can bend the crap out of the strings, and it stays in tune! I play the role of "Angus" in an AC/DC tribute band, and that Evertune bridge works great for me, since I cannot afford my own guitar tech like Angus Young! I do a quick tune up before the show (it's usually in tune already) but I double check it to make sure it's perfect the the supplied guitar-shaped hex wrench, and I am good to go for the night!

(I do have 2 backup guitars in case I break a string, and sometimes we play "Jailbreak", where Angus detunes his low E string at the beginning, and I may or may not switch guitars for just that one song if I feel like doing that - sometimes I just do a pick-slide instead and keep playing my SG with the Evertune bridge)

Never heard about it. Thanks, but stay ever in tune but bending is easily still possible, it that true?

That doesn't seems to be true ...
"So to answer your question, if string bending is important to you, avoid an Evertune. You'll spend more time dicking with it than it's worth."

I don't have any trouble bending strings with my Evertune bridge. I had one added to my main SG, and I really love it! It is really easy to set up. Just keep tightening the tuning peg until it goes sharp, and then back it down to where it's in tune again. It's so easy! If it's good enough for Devon Townsend, it's good enough for me!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=evertune+bridge+string+bending+myth

technically, guitars are never fully in tune :) but with new strings worked in, it should stay in the ballpark for the day. Look at your guitar and investigate all the severe angle points for the string. (tuner slip, nut binding, saddle binding, bridge, trem not coming back to full reset) Outside of the strings being new and still stretching or your neck being loose. It's one of those.

Guitar is never in tune, it’s always a dynamic thing, fret a chord, one string goes flat etc, tune that string, another string goes sharp, do a bend, one string is flat

Basically its just a question of how out of tune it is at a given time.
Yeah and what some consider in tune other do not.

• All my guitars have tended to use double-locking systems or high-grade staggered locking tuners with a quality nut job, graphite, GraphTech nuts, etc.
  • I never change strings right before a gig. (At worst it'll be before the last rehearsal leading up to the gig.)
  • I never go more than 10 or so gigs or rehearsals without changing strings.
  • I stretch my strings pretty carefully and thoroughly when changing.
  • I give my guitars 30 minutes in the environment, then tune.
That’s pretty much how I do it as well. 95% of the time I take my main guitars out of their case they are still in tune during the life of the strings, even after long roadtrips to a gig. The other 5% is either environment (humidity or temp change) or ‘dead’ strings.

Locking tuners should be less than a one turn to take full advantage.
My OCD will never let that happen 🤣🤣

My methods have been working for me for as long as I can remember having locking tuners, don’t change what’s not broke…

Admittedly I probably used way too many wraps before I started using locking tuners, and didn’t understand how detrimental that was, tuning stability improved regardless and I’m happy.

What do you think about this technique?

I use it but I'm not sure if it's really good enough.

Yes. I do it this way. The tension holds the end of the string that was bent "backwards" when it passes out of the "meshanik" hole and over the "knick" in the string. Lots of new words in there the ex-GF's parents never used in general conversations, but I managed to learn a few.... ;)

Last edited:
My OCD will never let that happen 🤣🤣

My methods have been working for me for as long as I can remember having locking tuners, don’t change what’s not broke…

Admittedly I probably used way too many wraps before I started using locking tuners, and didn’t understand how detrimental that was, tuning stability improved regardless and I’m happy.
The big point of the locking tuners is to eliminate string slippage.

As soon as you make an overlap, that becomes possible.

They are designed to use no wraps...

Mine tend to stay in tune until the temperature changes, so it’s very dependent on the venue and the particular gig. Though I find that guitars with floating trems seem to be affected less by the temperature swings.

Back
Top Bottom