How hard do you try???

nicolasrivera

Fractal Fanatic
Yes, how hard or for how long do you guys really try to get a sound you like before asking for help!?

We all rely on our ears and most of us trust them, but from the abrupt peak of posts asking for help not one hour after FW11 was release, i wonder just how much do you spend with your unit and exploring all the options......

Yes, how hard or for how long do you guys really try to get a sound you like before asking for help!?

We all rely on our ears and most of us trust them, but from the abrupt peak of posts asking for help not one hour after FW11 was release, i wonder just how much do you spend with your unit and exploring all the options......

As I'm one of the help posts, I've been an Axe user since January 2012 and don't remember a time where I asked for help, today was my first. I've been using FW11 since about 5 minutes after it was released and just now posted a thread. I've spent extreme amounts of time dialing in my unit and other Fractalites as well.

I don't ask for help until I've become frustrated and to the point where I am no longer making progress.

Generally I've noticed most cries for help can be answered by simply reading the manual or release notes.

It is really good when you have a friend with an AXE FX II! Then you can collaborate on tones, even if your musical tastes are different. When my buddy and I first got ours (right around the same time), we were on the phone for hours every day talking about settings, and what works/what doesn't work. Now that we have them dialed in, I'm using the forum a little more for both inspiration, as well as 'tips from the pros'!

If someone asks for help and if I can be of service, I will try my best to help them out.... end of story.

We all rely on our ears and most of us trust them
Many of us don't trust our ears - that's the point! (Why else would there be places like TGP full of GAS posts, if it wasn't for this?)

I think you're being a little tough, especially on those who have less experience of modellers in general and the Axe in particular. The rabbit hole is all too easy to fall into (as I'm finding out) and I, like others, find that it is easy to lose one's aural reference points and end up chasing an unchaseable tone (if such a word exists, lol). Also, personally, I find the longer I spend working on a tone the more I get lost and a little frustrated. So, perhaps putting one's hand up early and admitting defeat seems a good option in this situation.

And, of course, the over-enthusiastic "FW11 just got the missus pregnant, won me the lottery, and made a cup of tea!!!" posts don't help the morale of those who aren't yet experiencing their own tonal nirvana. :mrgreen

it depends upon the nature of the tone prob...
I've only ever asked for help once [back in 6.0]
and that was after days and days of of frustration, wrestling with the tone and getting nowhere..

I'm not aiming anyone in particular, but i have done some reading and i found a lot of helpful information just going over all the firmware release notes since version 1, I understand that there are a lot of people that are just not tweakers at all, but there are some guidelines you have to understand in order to achieve tones.

There are many extremely helpful members here that will help in awesome ways, but some times the questions are so logical in their answer that i just wonder if the user really if at all read anything about the expensive unit it has bought.

I have learned so much from this forum on how to sculpt sound. I had no idea that reverb/delay will affect the tightness of the sound or that even moderate bass will cause flubbiness, etc. I just assumed the equipment I was using was not up to par. I can see how the frustration will come in if a particular sound was intended. Personally, I start with the defaults and tweak by ear until I am satisfied. I don't care to match a particular band's signature sound. The sky is the limit with the Axe. Thanks you so much Cliff and team!

I usually just begin complaining on this forum immedietly if I encounter the littlest annoyance (within seconds). Makes me feel better to hear myself complain. :)

Would someone please help me answer this question?

I take a lot of time tweaking my presets, way to much sometimes! I totally trust my ears since I've been mixing music for awhile! I don't usually like giving my presets to other people since their guitar pickups, power amps or speakers cab make a huge difference how the preset will sound.

Not you again! :)

I bet you are a happy guy these days no?

My comment actually was a joke. I've hardly ever posted unless I found issues that ended up being bugs, so I believe I've actually helped in the overall process of things.

Yes, I am very happy. I actually was pretty damn happy when 10 was released with AE1.9, but 11 is even better and AE 3.0 allows me to work the way I used to when I first purchased my Axe FX. No more complaints from me. Just don't forget about us Axe Edit guys! :)

I have no problem with asking for help. But I want to understand what the changes are and how the result is obtained. I don't like "quick fixes" I don't understand. I guess that's one of the reasons I like to make my own presets instead of relying on factory presets or presets from other users.

I have no problem with asking for help. But I want to understand what the changes are and how the result is obtained. I don't like "quick fixes" I don't understand. I guess that's one of the reasons I like to make my own presets instead of relying on factory presets or presets from other users.

Yup.

Depends on the person. I don't think nicholas is referring to guys like you Sean. There are guys that post lots of, umm, 'questions' that don't really want answers. They just want attention. It's pretty easy to spot if you look.

Possibly. Not necessarily, though. Sometimes the person may have no idea how to get there, and they ask broad....even astutely broad.....questions, but the minds of many are not top-down, and hence they have no connection with the questions asked.

Back
Top Bottom