How good are the Matrix FR212 Passive Cab?

rsf1977_again

Power User
How do the Matrix FR212 Passive Cabs stack up to CLRs and similar FRFR cabs? They seem like a really good option for guys like me who want a backline FRFR solution, but I dont ever hear anyone really talking about them.

Matrix FR212 Passive Cabs Info

fr212_copy_1.jpg

I've only played the early prototype version of this cab. It sounded MASSIVE! I've not played the full version and don't own one as I decided to go the Amp/Cab route live, however with the recent advances in amp/cab modelling and seriously considering giving FRFR another try. I was speaking to Matrix about heading down to the showroom to have a play and this was right up there on the list. I'll feedback if/when I get down there.

Very happy with mine. Clear and articulate with clean to high gain and if you need it can be massive. Loads of bottom end which is tight and punchy. Was thinking of having two but one is plenty for me. Not too heavy either yet solid and very well built. Cracking cab. I was concerned as it's not cheap but glad I went for it.

well that's good. Since the modelling is becoming more and more "amazing" I'm thinking of taking the FRFR route. I'd probably replace my two 4x12s with two Matrix FR212s. I'd imagine it would sound amazing especially things like stereo verb

I heard them while they were displayed at the Amp Show a while back.
The Matrix people seemed very nice and the speakers and amps sounded great.
For me it seemed like everything I could ask for.
The amps they had them attached to blasted and they still were very clear and accurate.
Loud and Clear and Really Loud. Everyone was smiling and crying and laughing at the same time. Something about "it hurts so good". :)

I can totally recommend. I got the Q12s a first which are great but not a spunchy on the low end as I like cos of the style of music I play. \i want a brown sound that hits you in the chest. I feel that I have got there with the FR212. Am keeping at least one of my q12s so I can still have a stereo rig. Cant decide whether to keep the other Q12 to make a virtual 4 x 12 or sell as one Q12 with the Fr212 is enough to be honest. Am using a matrix 800fx as well.

Back
Top Bottom