How "FRFR" is your hearing?

I can hear up to 18khz at moderate volume, although it sounds significantly quieter than 17khz. I'm only 21 tho :/ I probably oughta invest in some earplugs!

No need to shout! :)

true, I might damage someone's hearing :lol

but I need to emphasize the point - once it's gone, it's gone and it ain't coming back!

@antcarrier - earplugs are cheap, and you can get reusable ones if you want. small price to save your hearing ;)

14K or so for me, at age 54, not bad considering.

I don't play or listen loud anymore, and haven't for years. I always wear foamies at concerts, and even then I think it's too loud sometimes. I was having trouble getting the foamies to seat right at the "Experience Hendrix" show a few weeks ago and thought I was going to have to leave, it hurt my ears so bad.

Oh well, you know what they say, "If it's too loud, you're too old". ;)

JWW

true, I might damage someone's hearing :lol

but I need to emphasize the point - once it's gone, it's gone and it ain't coming back!

@antcarrier - earplugs are cheap, and you can get reusable ones if you want. small price to save your hearing ;)

+1 Jon. I can't regain what is already lost. I had a professional hearing test 2 years ago. The audiologist tested me on a pair of Siemens "top of the line" appliances. There was not enough gain in hearing to justify the $5K for them. My recent "attenuation" is higher due to stopped up eustachion tubes, and tinnitus.
Great replies here guys. I am joyfully surprised to see so many of you guys can hear so well, I suspected otherwise.

At normal volume settings I can hear clearly up to 19kHz, also 20kHz but significantly quieter. If I turn up the volume, I definitely hear the 20kHz and maybe the 21kHz. I'm 32.

I can hear up to 18khz at moderate volume, although it sounds significantly quieter than 17khz. I'm only 21 tho :/ I probably oughta invest in some earplugs!

Same, I can hear 17khz pretty clearly and there's a significant volume drop off at 18khz (though I can still definitely hear it). 19khz is almost inaudible at standard volumes though. I'm 25 yrs old.

I've only recently started wearing ear plugs.. I haven't had any issues with tinnitus but I've definitely been a bit too cavalier with caring for my ears.

I do these tests with every new group of students I get to try to explain the relationships between pitch and frequency and some VERY basic stuff on the way that sound travels in different environments. This is far from high end acoustic theory or anything; we're mostly just troubleshooting gear, but you'd be surprised how many young technicians don't understand the basic stuff.

Anyway we've got a nice signal generator and a good set of old school JBL monitors in there. The guys younger than 25 tend to be in a lot of pain, guys that have been around artillery fire are shrugging their shoulders around 8kHz. I can still get up to 18kHz depending on how clear my sinus' are and I have to crank it up a bit, but more than anything I have to be in the exact line with the driver to 'hear' it. And it's not nice at all. It hurts actually. But a wavelength that short is extremely directional is my point.

And for those other old dudes on here (I just turned 40 recently myself) there really isn't a whole lot in the 15kHz range and beyond that's pleasant to hear. There just isn't. I think that having a really good hi frequency sensitivity is more for being able to detect when it's too high and not for real pleasure or anything. You get beyond that point and it just hurts most of the time.

Reactions: jon
The human ear is non-linear, so your hearing is nowhere near "FRFR." The human ear is "tuned" to hear the human voice, so you will hear mid-range better than lows or highs.

And yes, I realize that my response is more to the title than the actual post from the OP...

Back
Top Bottom