How does the Octave / PitchShifting compare to the EHX HOG2

Beardstorm

I will be purchasing the FX8 once my name is pulled but am curious how the Octaves/Synth/PitchShifting compares to the EHX HOG2 / POG2? I rely heavily on that pedal and plan to replace my entire board with the FX8. I've never used AxeFX before so am curious of your guys thoughts especially on Octaves.

Thanks

The EHX pedals in that family, are unique, and specialty products. I've owned the Axe II for 3 years, but I've decided my next purchase will be a HOG2 because I can rack mount it on a pedal shelf, and control it with Midi. If I didn't need midi control, I'd be able to get the job done with a POG2.

I guess it depends on what he plans to do with it. Thick, lush, ambient chords, or wanky solos. If you rely heavily on the HOG, I would probably hang on to it as you'll be quite limited with the FX8 comparatively.

It would be cool to fully mimic the HOG but I would mostly be using it for single notes rather than chords. I also use the freeze function which I hear you can emulate in the FX8.

In the words of 'Chris@AxeFxTutorials:'

"I'm sure FAS will dedicate time to the Pitch shifter when people stop asking for every single amp that exists."

I think people find Fractal pretty responsive to it's customer base. I'm hoping there is a groundswell of support for a rebuild of the pitch engine. I'd love a block that was every bit as good as the HOG2 or Whammy5 or the Pitchfork. Right now it's close but I think it'll take FAS hearing from people about it.

Also now that there will be a effect oriented customer base for the FX8 I think FAS will be hearing more about updating and expanding effects.

At the same time though, we shouldn't expect a device to do every single thing every other pedal does. The POG etc. pedals are very unique. As with any specific effect, if you need it, use the original pedal/unit along with your FAS gear. It's just unrealistic to sit and wait for it to appear one day, no matter how much it is requested ;)

The FX8 features a 2-voice polyphonic pitch shifter - the same pitch block that is in the Axe-Fx (but one instance instead of two.)
You'd need more voices than 2 to do the Hog, but the polyphonic tracking performance should be excellent.
You also have feedback, which can turn a one octave up or down shift into a multi octave shift. The overall effect would be quite similar.
And remember, you also have a PLEX SHIFTER in the FX8 which could provide another 2 voices -- of sorts.

Last edited:
The Plex Shift in the Multidelay gives me the "fade-in" shimmery thing I can get on the POG2. For basic +1/-1 octaves like the Pog the Pitch Shifter does great.

Back
Top Bottom