How does the Fractal reverb algorithms stack up to dedicated rack mount reverb processors?

Well, I just compared the London and Sun "Plates" on my new FM9 Turbo (on Ultra-High Reverb resolution) with my Lexicon MPX1 and Roland SRV-330. Also, I fired up my Boss RV-500, in which I have programmed some special SRV-2000 settings.

I also compared some of the hall type reverbs.

Damn, the FM9 reverbs are every bit as good, and lush, and dense, with absolutely gorgeous tail(s).

Now, the absolutely KILLER aspect of the FM9 is the FM9-Edit, and the ability to graphically place reverb in parallel with delay. That, and the ease of programming the deeper reverb parameters, particularly EQs and diffusions.

I can easily say that the FM9 beats out my Lexicon MPX1, if for no other reason due to the low noise and converter quality. My MPX1 is rather noisy. The Roland SRV-330 is rather quiet, comparatively, and I actually prefer the reverbs on the SRV-330. So, I would put the FM9 easily on par with the SRV-330 in terms of core reverb audio quality (Plates, Halls, and Rooms -- I can't stand Spring reverb). The FM9, however, blows away the SRV-330 in terms of user interface, ease of tweakability, and deep diving and fine-tuning of reverb parameters.

What perhaps is the most surprising, is that the Boss RV-500 truly holds its own against the SRV-330 as well as the FM-9. What a fantastic reverb pedal, and I have to imagine is way more powerful than people realize or give it credit for. I have my suspicions that a lot of guitarists who buy a reverb pedal, have absolutely no experience with programming a hardware reverb unit, and simply want to turn a couple of knobs. The extensive digital menu and deep diving that the BOSS RV-500 provides is, I suspect, an immediate turn-off.
For me, anyway, the RV-500 is the absolute best dedicated reverb pedal on the market. I prefer it to the much lauded UA Golden Reverberator (which I also own).

I haven't had opportunity to compare the FM-9 reverbs with the Kurzweil Rumour. That will be another very close race, I suspect.

P.S. -- The Digitech GSP1101 reverbs are in last place, compared to the FM-9, the Roland SRV-330, the Lexicon MPX1, the Boss RV-500, and the Kurzweil Rumour. The GSP1101 is fine device, in its own right, but there is nothing particularly special about its Reverbs, which have always been (over)promoted as being "Licensed" by Lexicon. Being "Licensed" is a far cry from being a one-to-one digital copy of the Lexi's reverb algorithms, which were coded to the metal, on their proprietary LexiChip 2 DSP chips.

How would the Fractal compare to the MPX-1 if you use the Economy, Normal, or High Quality modes?

How would the Fractal compare to the MPX-1 if you use the Economy, Normal, or High Quality modes?

I would say that the MPX1 compares more favorably to the FM9, only if the FM9 is running Economy mode. And it still is much more noisy. The FM9 leaves it in the dust at the higher quality settings, IMHO.

Unfortunately for me, the MPX1 has been a bit of disappointment as dedicated hardware rack effects processor. I know it has rather mythic status...but I much MUCH prefer the reverbs and delays in my SRV-330; an effects processor of similar vintage provenance. Another reason I may not be able to give the MPX1 more credit is for the simple fact that I am NOT a modulation guy...whether it is modulations in the delays or reverbs (which I cordially dislike), or straight up chorus effects. Other people might score the MPX1 much higher, due to its modulation capabilities.

I would say that the MPX1 compares more favorably to the FM9, only if the FM9 is running Economy mode. And it still is much more noisy. The FM9 leaves it in the dust at the higher quality settings, IMHO.

Unfortunately for me, the MPX1 has been a bit of disappointment as dedicated hardware rack effects processor. I know it has rather mythic status...but I much MUCH prefer the reverbs and delays in my SRV-330; an effects processor of similar vintage provenance. Another reason I may not be able to give the MPX1 more credit is for the simple fact that I am NOT a modulation guy...whether it is modulations in the delays or reverbs (which I cordially dislike), or straight up chorus effects. Other people might score the MPX1 much higher, due to its modulation capabilities.
Cool. I have a MPX-1, and always thought the Reverb sounded great, but it is kind of a pain to use since you really need a parallel mixer to use it. I do think it has a great Detune and Chorus, but one major limitation is you can't use them together. I recently got a FM3, but I haven't got to compare Reverb yet, but I do know it is common to run it in Economy or Normal because of the processor limitations,

Well, I just compared the London and Sun "Plates" on my new FM9 Turbo (on Ultra-High Reverb resolution) with my Lexicon MPX1 and Roland SRV-330.

I also fired up my Boss RV-500, in which I have programmed some special SRV-2000 Plate and Hall settings.

Damn, the FM9 reverbs are every bit as good, and lush, and dense, with absolutely gorgeous tail(s).

Now, the absolutely KILLER aspect of the FM9 is the FM9-Edit, and the ability to graphically place reverb in parallel with delay. That, and the ease of programming the deeper reverb parameters, particularly EQs and diffusions.

I can easily say that the FM9 beats out my Lexicon MPX1, if for no other reason due to the low noise and converter quality. My MPX1 is rather noisy. The Roland SRV-330 is rather quiet, comparatively, and I actually prefer the reverbs on the SRV-330. So, I would put the FM9 easily on par with the SRV-330 in terms of core reverb audio quality (Plates, Halls, and Rooms -- I can't stand Spring reverb). The FM9, however, blows away the SRV-330 in terms of user interface, ease of tweakability, and deep diving and fine-tuning of reverb parameters.

What perhaps is the most surprising, is that the Boss RV-500 truly holds its own against the SRV-330 as well as the FM-9. What a fantastic reverb pedal, and I have to imagine is way more powerful than people realize or give it credit for. I have my suspicions that a lot of guitarists who buy a reverb pedal, have absolutely no experience with programming a hardware reverb unit, and simply want to turn a couple of knobs. The extensive digital menu and deep diving that the BOSS RV-500 provides is, I suspect, an immediate turn-off.
For me, anyway, the RV-500 is the absolute best dedicated reverb pedal on the market. I prefer it to the much lauded UA Golden Reverberator (which I also own).

I haven't had opportunity to compare the FM-9 reverbs with the Kurzweil Rumour. That will be another very close race, I suspect.

P.S. -- The Digitech GSP1101 reverbs are in last place, compared to the FM-9, the Roland SRV-330, the Lexicon MPX1, the Boss RV-500, and the Kurzweil Rumour. The GSP1101 is fine device, in its own right, but there is nothing particularly special about its Reverbs, which have always been (over)promoted as being "Licensed" by Lexicon. Being "Licensed" is a far cry from being a one-to-one digital copy of the Lexi's reverb algorithms, which were coded to the metal, on their proprietary LexiChip 2 DSP chips.
You’re comparing units that are 9000 years old. While they may have been passable for their day, of course the fractal should kill them.

I have a Roland RV800 studio spring, an AKG BX20 and a Micmix Master Room spring (my favourite) and while the Fractal's take on 80's and onward digital studio units are stellar, it still falls way short getting the 'vibe' of studio spring reverbs. They're good but impulse response models of vintage units like TL Space in Protools are closer. I've no doubt they will improve in time.

Cool. I have a MPX-1, and always thought the Reverb sounded great, but it is kind of a pain to use since you really need a parallel mixer to use it. I do think it has a great Detune and Chorus, but one major limitation is you can't use them together. I recently got a FM3, but I haven't got to compare Reverb yet, but I do know it is common to run it in Economy or Normal because of the processor limitations,
You could always grab the somewhat forgotten Lexicon LXP-1 which is a compact half rack unit from the 80's. Small enough to fit on a pedal board considering some of the monster pedals out there. It has a front mounted Mix control.
My studio ran 2 in the early 90's and I've still got one of them and remote. Fabulous verbs and the SFX are very usable.

Back
Top Bottom