How does MIDI block library work?

I'm using my AXE FX III in conjunction with a Strymon Timeline and Strymon Big Sky. I have each on their own midi channels (1 and 2) and my axe fx III is communicating with them perfectly fine. My question is about being able to SAVE a set of midi commands and recall it for different scenes with AXE Edit.

I put 4 commands in my scene 1 midi block: PC Ch. 1 value 0, PC Ch. 2 value 0, CC102 Ch. 1 value 127, CC102 Ch. 2 value 127. This recalls a preset on both devices and engages them (testing these commands shows they work fine). Then I used the save function down at the "block library" tab. Titled this "Timeline/BigSky command 1". I thought that I would be able to select this same file for the rest of my scenes in this preset. However, when I select scene 2 and select the MIDI block and try to load up "Timeline/BigSky command 1", none of the commands paste into the block. I do get the initializing bar at the bottom very quickly but nothing loads.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong here? Creating those midi commands for every single scene will get old really fast.

the Block Library saves an entire block. i'm not too familiar with the Midi Block, but since it's loading the entire block when you load it, it doesn't matter what Scene you're in when loading it.

i don't remember if the Midi Block changes visual values when you change Scenes, but if it does, when you've saved Scene 1 settings, then go to Scene 2, perhaps it is loading the Scene 1 values, but you're on Scene 2 where nothing was saved yet.

you might have to do this Scene by Scene the first time. Block Library isn't a "copy paste per Scene" or Channel. it loads the entire block which includes all Channels (and potential Scene data if that's how the Midi block works).

also no need to post the same thing 3 times. this Axe-Edit forum is the most relevant since that's where the issue is.

The midi blocks are scene dependent. If you copy a midi block from a preset in scene #3 to an empty preset in scene #3 via axe edit (block copy) it will copy your midi block with all commands. If you copy the same scene #3 midi block to empty preset scene #1 it will be blank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom