How do you use your MFC?

Bruce1448

I'm curious to see how you guys setup/ customize your MFC programming to control your AxeFx.

I've had the AxeFx since before scenes existed and still haven't made the switch over. I'm currently running 10 presets and 7 IA's:
Preset 1: Clean
Preset 2: Clean shimmer
Preset 3: Auto swell
Preset 4: Ambient
Preset 5: OD
Preset 6: OD w/ delay
Preset 7: Heavy
Preset 8: Solo
Preset 9: Nothing at the moment
Preset 10: Nothing at the moment

The other buttons control:
Ext 12 - Usually turns on and off delays, sometimes other mod effects
Filter1 - Used for a clean volume boost
GEQ - Generally used for solo boost, sometimes for an old radio type effect
Drive1 - Another flavor of boost
Kill - Mutes Output1 and 2
Tap tempo
Tuner

I also have one expression pedal which is typically controlling volume. On the solo preset it controls a wah. On the shimmer preset it's the shimmer mix.

So how do you have yours setup? Are you using one preset with lots of effect and scene controls? Multiple expression pedals?

Last edited:
5 presets on bottom, boost on 6, drive on 7, phase shifter on 8, flanger on 9, chorus on 10. Delay and Reverb are in the default locations, as are top row functions. I use 11-13 for whatever is needed in the preset. I have an SP-2 pedal connected to input Ext 1&2, normally for wah and volume.

Probably as close to the stock setup as you get, likely because I started there years ago and just got used to it!

Bank Size = 0, so I don't switch presets at all with my MFC, I use scenes. My bottom row is the first 5 scenes, which are usually the same type across all presets, Clean, Crunch, Rhythm, Lead, Lead 2 (with some special effects depending on the song).

The next row is Clean 2, Crunch 2, Rhythm 2. The next two buttons in my second row are for vocals, as I use Axe FX for vocal processing. One is an EQ for switching from lead to backing vocal, the last one is Pitch block X/Y.

The next row is for some extra effects, again depending on preset. They are linked to external controllers so I can switch different effects, but in order to not get confused, they are labeled Voicing (for EQ, filters, pitch etc), Drive (which could be a pedal or just a filter block in front of an amp), Mod (for modulation effects), Delay and Reverb. Frankly speaking, I've never used this row as 8 scenes have been more than enough.

The top row is for Tap/Tune and the next button launches scenes with backing/click tracks un Ableton.

Lately I'm only using MFC while we are working on songs, as long as the arrangements get fixed, I program preset and scene changes along with whatever individual effect changes I need, looper control, and basically have my MFC as backup and for wah or whatever non-automated controls I feel like having.

I'm still struggling with figuring out what to use that third row for. :) I hate having buttons that I don't use.

• Bank size = 5
  • Bottom row = scenes 1-5
  • Second row = presets 1-5
  • All other buttons are IAs
This setup has been great for touring and recording. It really puts the most needed functionality in the most easily accessed part of the board. I've gotten pretty familiar with the AxeFX at this point, and now that I have my presets and scenes really dialed in, I'm starting to think a smaller controller might be in my future.

• Bank size = 5
  • Bottom row = scenes 1-5
  • Second row = presets 1-5
  • All other buttons are IAs
This setup has been great for touring and recording. It really puts the most needed functionality in the most easily accessed part of the board. I've gotten pretty familiar with the AxeFX at this point, and now that I have my presets and scenes really dialed in, I'm starting to think a smaller controller might be in my future.

This is an interesting layout - thinking about trying it, but having trouble wrapping my head around how to set up Scenes in the bottom row, and presets in the second row.

I'm using MFC-Edit w/ MFC-101 Mk 1.

Base Config Pg:Axe-Fx Mode Axe-Fx II XL; Performance Mode- Preset; First Preset Switch 0; Bank Size 5; Bank Style Current
IA Switches Pg: IA #'s 1 through 5 are Scenes 1 through 5; What should I set IA #'s 6 through 10 to, to allow the 2nd row to be Presets?

In the Axe-Fx Function column for the IA's, it only lists "functions" that can change, but not "presets".
I'm hoping to have a setup like you list - The first row would be Scenes, within whatever preset is selected in the 2nd row;
the second row to be preset banks, and up/down switches to cycle between banks - all of the presets would be on the second row.
Third row would be IA functions (Rotary, Chorus, Flange, Phase, MltDly).
Volume- Exp Pdl 1;
Wah - Exp 2 sweep & Exp 3 toggle. If Rotary is switched on, this pedal controls rate; Wah is switched off, if Rotary is on via Exp 3 toggle.

Can you spot what I'm setting incorrectly? I can't seem to get Presets in second row, if I have Scenes in the first row.

This is an interesting layout - thinking about trying it, but having trouble wrapping my head around how to set up Scenes in the bottom row, and presets in the second row.

Can you spot what I'm setting incorrectly? I can't seem to get Presets in second row, if I have Scenes in the first row.
I do not think you can do that with the mk1 or mk2, only on mk 3 unless you take it apart and move the switches.

I really like song set mode with scenes on 1-5, most used effects on the rest of the IA switches with 2 exp pedals and 2 momentary switches.

I do not think you can do that with the mk1 or mk2, only on mk 3 unless you take it apart and move the switches.
Thanks, paranoid.

I currently have Bottom Row Presets
Middle Row Scenes 1-5. 1-Clean/lt delay; 2-OD; 3-Clean/stereo dotted 1/8, or shimmer type delay; 4-OD w/ same delay as Scene 3; 5-PEQ solo boost
3rd Row IA's. Rotary, Chorus, Flange, Phaser, MultiDly
16 - tap tempo
17 - tuner
Volume- Exp Pdl 1;
Wah - Exp 2 sweep & Exp 3 toggle. If Rotary is switched on, this pedal controls rate; Wah is switched off, if Rotary is on via Exp 3 toggle.

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I have an MFC-101 Mk III, which is the only model that can be reassigned this way via software. Earlier versions can be physically modified to do this, but it means opening up the pedal and moving the ribbon cables (and remembering that you've reassigned those buttons to other numbers!).

Having the scenes in the bottom row is ideal for me because I use multiple scenes in each preset. It's much easier to have the preset in the next row up. At some point in the next month or so, I'll probably switch to a smaller MIDI controller because I've figured out how to do this in a smaller footprint, and on tour, space and weight are always at a premium.

Back
Top Bottom