How do you take care of your electric guitars?

Eat a salami sandwich before I play... no wait that's Neal Schon.

I wall hang all my stuff. I dust them off every now and then, I use elixirs so the strings are always pretty fresh. I use a humidifier in the winter time, same time the heat comes on (in Ohio). On string changes, if the frets are not stainless I polish them with steel wool, and lemon oil the neck. Dunlop 65 polish on the back of the neck and body. That's it.

Keep them clean and store at room temp/humidity. Regular maintenance and lubrication of metalwork. Also keep them in the case.

i thought being in a dry climate (phoenix) i would finally be rid of an issue that has always been a pain - my hands turn strings black very quick. If I don't wipe them down every time -strings are crap within a few days with even minimal playing so I use dunlop string cleaner pretty freq.

Every so often I use lemon oil to clean fretboards but it's pretty rare cause I don't eat chetos and play guitar (that's my secret).

lot of nitro guitars here and have found music nomad one to work good.

some nut sauce on guitars with no lock nut and a trem.

have a lot of rosewood fretboards (no particular reason) and as I understand rosewood is like cedar - somewhat weather resistant/naturally sealed, so no point in trying to condition.

have a couple maple necks but they are mostly sealed w exception of a tele that has literally no finish on it. I've had it since 98 and try not to clean it much... i don't have issues w fingernails digging in... have cleaned/condition it w lemon oil about once a year for 20+ years and doesn't appear to have yellowed... guess if I ever took the neck off i might see a shade dif. you'd think w no finish it'd be a wet noodle but even when I owned it in wisconsin it reacts very little to the yearly changes.

No special treatment, take them off the wall, dust them off, play them, change strings when they break, put back on wall. Oil fingerboards maybe once a year.

I keep them clean. I use blitz cloth or dunlop 65 on the strings - I'll run the blitz over & underneath the strings up and down the neck, then repeat with the dry cloth. I wipe down the guitar quick and use some polish, my right forearm sweats a lot all over that lower bout and leaves a big cloudy area, I clean and polish weekly, but I usually have 3 out at a time. If not playing for a few days, which suck, I put them in the case. The acoustic goes in the case when not playing and the case has the humidor with bluetooth (D'Addario). I only use oil on the fretboards probably 3-4 times a year, unless needed otherwise, and applied sparingly. I will clean, polish and wax my electrics every few months with gloss finishes. . I have all kinds of cleaning stuff, a real light sandpaper for frets. Check the intonation all the time, and neck relief. It changes here in Illinois. Midwest humidity, and usually at least a couple months of real cold weather, possibly brutal winters. Change strings as needed, usually every week when I'm playing everyday, which is what I like to do if my job allows it.

The Music Nomad stuff is really good. It was developed by a guy who's worked for decades as a guitar tech. I got a real complete set of feelers for more exact and the less relief the Suhr & Friedman do well with.

I wash my hands a lot anyway, but always before playing, and alcohol sanitizer, and put my left hand finger tips and right thumb and index in isopropyl alcohol - dry is good for the calluses. Screw skin care I'm not a hand model.

The larger screwdrivers from a good eyeglass kit, Nut Juice, Big Bends, tons of microfiber and flannel cloths, soft towels. I have experimented a lot with strings but I think I'm going back to D'Addario for electric and acoustic.

Attachments

• IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1808.JPG
    IMG_1808.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Keep them clean and store at room temp/humidity. Regular maintenance and lubrication of metalwork. Also keep them in the case.
1. What do you suggest for cleaning nitro finishes Andy?

2. I recently got a multi guitar stand so my 3 guitars and a bass would all be handy, straps on and ready to go, and I really like that. No children or pets in the studio to knock them over, and I've managed not to do that myself in the 30-something years we've lived here.
Given that, do you still think it's important to keep them in their cases? Why?

Last edited:
1. What do you suggest for cleaning nitro finishes Andy?

2. I recently got a multi guitar stand so my 3 guitars and a bass would all be handy, straps on and ready to go, and I really like that. No children or pets in the studio to knock them over, and I've managed not to do that myself in the 30-something years we've lived here.
Given that, do you still think it's important to keep them in their cases? Why?
If you look after your stuff you will not need anything more than a microfibre cloth, but if you want to use polish something designed to look after French Polish finish used vary sparingly . Keeping gear in the case saves it from dust and UV light . UV light can do a lot of harm over time. Faded dry flaking finish accelerated degradation of plastic parts. No truly mint vintage guitar lives out of it's case.

Back
Top Bottom