How do you switch things on and off via Expression Pedal ?

Japster

Inspired
Right I'm trying to do something a bit specific here.

Got 4 Custom Harmony Scales Setup
2 Pitch Blocks
Pitch Block 1 to use Cust Harmony 1 and Cust Harmony 2
Pitch Block 2 to use Cust Harmony 3 and Cust Harmony 4

I want to basically set each Harmony Output level to be either 100% or 0% depending on the position of my expression pedal
No 2 harmonies would be on at the same.

I'm guessing I have to split the Expression sweep range into 4, allocate an "On or 100%" range for each Harmony with anything outside this range giving 0%

Is this possible ? What settings would I give each modifier on the Level 1 & Level 2 for each Pitch Block if using External1 as my expression input

Any help appreciated :)

Assign the controller to the bypass mode in the effect that you want to turn off. Use thru mode for serial effects and mute for parallel effects. Use axe-edit to do this.

After looking at your question a little more, are you wanting to use all 4 harmonies (at different times) using the same patch and scene and use the position of the expression pedal to switch between them? i.e. 0-25% for Cust Harmony 1, 25-50% for Cust Harmony 2, etc. Not sure if that can be done. I would use scenes for each of the harmonies and the expression pedal to bypass both harmony blocks as I stated above.

Ah,

Maybe my thread title was a bit misleading, I actually don't want to switch the effect block off. Here's how I want it to go

Both Pitch Blocks in On State :
Start : Voice 1 Pitch Block 1 at 100% Level, Voice 2 Pitch Block 1, Voice 1 Pitch Block 2, Voice 2 Pitch Block 2 all at 0% level
Step 2: Voice 1 Pitch Block 1 at 0%, Voice 2 Pitch Block 1 at 100%, Voice 1 Pitch Block 2 and Voice 2 Pitch Block 2 at 0%
Step 3: Voice 1 Pitch Block 1 at 0%, Voice 2 Pitch Block 1 at 0%, Voice 1 Pitch Block 2 at 100% and Voice 2 Pitch Block 2 at 0%
Finally: Voice 1 Pitch Block 1 at 0%, Voice 2 Pitch Block 2 at 0%, Voice 1 Pitch Block 2 at 0% and Voice 2 Pitch Block 2 at 100%

Cheers

After looking at your question a little more, are you wanting to use all 4 harmonies (at different times) using the same patch and scene and use the position of the expression pedal to switch between them? i.e. 0-25% for Cust Harmony 1, 25-50% for Cust Harmony 2, etc. Not sure if that can be done. I would use scenes for each of the harmonies and the expression pedal to bypass both harmony blocks as I stated above.

Unfortunately the Lead Passage I want to put this against only lasts about 6 seconds :-( so wanted to avoid scene changing mid way

You want to use your set up your expression pedal to sweep (suddenly) between four different harmony scales? It's possible, but a bit complicated. You'll need to use the X/Y states of the blocks to allow four possible scales, but this means you can't use the first pitch block for the first two scales in the sweep and the second pitch block for the second two, because you'd have to set up really weird modifier shapes.

I've attached a preset that will do half of what you want - you will ALSO need to set (on your axe) the X/Y switching to occur on whatever MIDI input is set to external 1.

View attachment Pitches.syx

What this will do is set your expression pedal to sweep between:
first quarter: Pitch 1, X state
second quarter: Pitch 2, X state
third quarter: Pitch 1, Y state
fourth quarter: Pitch 2, Y state.

Adjust the X/Y parameters to suit, the bit that's controlling your ordering is the bypass modifier so leave that where it is. Also note I haven't tested this, so might have gotten my X/Y states in the above example muddled up, however the principle is the same :)

Routing these in will be simple - just route as normal, but make sure to take into account the bypass MODE so that you still get signal passing through properly.

Hope this helps!

*Edit* I'll just clarify that the reason for using X/Y and bypass modifiers is that they are instantaneous and don't fade in our out, which is what you'd get with controlling any other parameters, no matter how "steep" you made your modifier curve

Last edited:
so your setup would look something like

Pitch block1 X state - Custom Harmony 1
Pitch block1 Y state - Custom Harmony 2
Pitch block2 X state - Custom Harmony 3
Pitch block2 Y state - Custom Harmony 4

By default, if you are using the X state on the harmony block the Y state will be off (0%) and vice-versa. There is nothing you need to do for that. So you just need to switch between X and Y on each block and then control the level between the 2 blocks using the expression pedal. Not sure what the best method is for that is.

Hadn't considered using X/Y states, as Grit says above I would have to tell the AXE that my Expression pedal would control X/Y states, wouldn't this effect everything that has a X/Y state not just the pitch blocks ?

Also use this expression pedal as my Volume Pedal in other presets

It won't affect other blocks that have X/Y states (amps etc), but it *will* affect all other pitch blocks in all other presets, there's no way to assign x/y modifiers on a per-preset basis, annoyingly

Last edited:
I might have some ideas? But need more info. on you setup.

Do you currently use scenes? If so, how many? Do you use an MFC-101? Only 1 expression pedal?

Hi there Moke,

Yes I do use scenes a max of 4 normally. Yes I use the MFC-101 with 2 Expression pedals.

Cheers

Away from my Axe-FX ll till tomorrow. but I will work on it, if someone doesn't beet me to it...;)

1 more question.....Axe-FX ll or Axe-FX ll XL ?

Couldn't wait till tomorrow..........:eagerness:

OK, this solution is really out there so bear with me.

.....Use a "scene controller" to turn up the "input gain" of "Pitch" block 1 for the first custom scale and also to start a "Sequence" controller that will inversely turn up and down the volumes of "Voice 1" and "Voice 2" levels in "Pitch" block 1, then bypass "Pitch" block 1, un-bypass "Pitch" block 2 and inversely turn up and down the volumes of "Voice 1" and "Voice 2" levels in "Pitch" block 2.

This would require knowing and playing near the tempo of the song. But for a short duration that shouldn't be too tough? If the scale changes do not occur at even intervals, the "Sequence" controller can be set so that the control levels can stay at specific levels for longer or shorter durations by setting more steps at one particular level (which controls which scale is being heard), changing the number of steps used, and changing the time signature and/or the tampo to achieve the desired resolution............I told you to bear with me.

Enclosed is a sample (non XL) preset to give you an idea of what I mean. Scene #1 - Rhythm,........ Scene #2 - Lead with no harmonys,.......Scene #3 - starts the sequence, custom scale #1,#2,#3,#4 at 80 BPM, whole notes, 2 steps per scale, 8 steps total.

I have never used the "Sequence" controller before so I thought would try to get to know it, I already see some uses automating some stuff in my presets.

View attachment 23477

Moke,

I think you've nearly cracked it, not sound tested it yet but watching the sequence on the screen for scene 3 it seems to almost be doing what I want.
The only thing I can see is that the Custom Scale 3 never gets turned on, the steps that control Custom Scale 3 & 4 don't flip from 3 to 4 , but always stay in the Scale 4 State. Kinda misses out 3 if you know what I mean.

Opens up a whole new function that I never knew existed though :lol

Just loaded it up from from post #14. Works good here?

Scales #1 and #2 are in pitch block #1, then pitch block #1 is bypassed and then pitch block #2 is un-bypassed with scale #3 level at 100%, then goes to 0% as scale #4 goes to 100%......

Hi Moke,

Looking good here now, how would I go about slowing down the overall sequence or maybe making some sections of the sequence longer than others? Or even link the overall sequence to a tap tempo.
Also really pushing the boat out here :lol ....... What if I wanted to trigger the Sequence start from an Envelope, so it starts when I play the first note of the riff?

Last edited:
Well, lots of options. That's why I love this machine!

The test patch was set at 80 BPM, whole notes, 2 steps per scale, 8 steps total. = 2 whole notes per scale. Yes you can link the overall sequence to a tap tempo. To change the duration of individual scales, Change the time signature to the shortest one needed, use more steps for the longer scales, then change the total number of steps.

Example,

Scale #1 is 2 beats long, #2 is 4 beats long, #3 is 1 beat long,#4 is 5 beats long. 12 beats total. The shortest scale time needed is 1/4 notes. Set the time signature in the "Sequence" controller to 1/4

Scale #1 will use 2 steps, #2 will use 4 steps, #3 will use 1 step, #4 will use 5 steps. 12 steps total. Set the "Sequence" controller to 12 stages.

Last edited:
Yes you can link the overall sequence to a tap tempo.

Well, maybe not...............Can't get that to work?

The "Sequence" controller speed changes when you change the time signatures, but changing the preset tempo has no effect? Using tap tempo or changing it manually? So what tempo are the time signatures based on in the "Sequence" controller??

Back
Top Bottom