How do YOU recall Presets?

How are your presets setup and sorted and what method do you use to recall a certain preset. Is Scenes, Songs or what how YOU work the Fractal? I am trying to figure out the easiest, most proficecnt way to set mine up. thanks ahead for any input and ideas. Is there any specific publications dealing with this???
ThanksUntitled.jpg

All I want is a bit of input on what setup works for you better live..... As far as what do you use to recall patches as needed live. Do You put your favorite patches in the first slots say 1- 50? Do You use Song Mode by listing for example Song 1 would be 15 Clean Preset's and Song 2 would be 15 preets of lead etc... Or do You use Song with all of your songs up to 100 listed and go by song names? Any input would be appreciated. How are your presets setup and sorted and what method do you use to recall a certain preset. Is Scenes, Songs or what how YOU work the Fractal? I am trying to figure out the easiest, most proficecnt way to set mine up. thanks ahead for any input and ideas. Is there any specific publications dealing with this???

do you have specific presets for individual songs, or general presets for all songs?

General presets I have about 50 I love . As soon as I figure out how I need to recall them then I will start tweaking the presets to my liking. Thanks for your input Chris. BTW the videos that you have on You Tube about mission pedals setup helped me immensly. Much thanks again..........
Love and Peace,
David Goldberg

IMG_1001.jpg

Axe Fx II
Matrix GT 1000 FX
MFC 101
Hard Trucker Cab with 2 Red Tone Tubby 12' speakers

I use Song mode, with a similar layout in each song for the first 3 presets, the last 2 are set for specialty ( harmonized, synths, or acoustic... )

Now that we have Scenes, though, there is not as much need for changing presets, or songs...

For the time being I'm using preset mode (bank size = 5). Each song within set therefore has 5 presets available which I'm using to represent the parts of each song, though naturally not all songs require that many. I also use scenes within each preset to switch on/off any individual effects. For solos, I use the alt preset for the preset I'm currently on and for boosting I just use a dedicated IA switch. Maybe simple, but it works for me!

I'm still pretty old school as far as I like to have ia switches for all my fx. I use the up down to go between presets and the rest are fx on/off switches and x/y switches.

Here's my plan for presets:

Leave presets 1-10 blank to start.

11 - 15: clean rhythm
16 - 20: clean lead

21 - 25: pushed / overdriven clean rhythm
26 - 30: pushed / overdriven clean lead

31 - 35: rock rhythm
36 - 40: rock lead

41 - 45: progressive rock / mid gain rhythm
46 - 50: progressive rock / mid gain lead

51 - 55: modern high gain rhythm
56 - 60: modern high gain lead

Each bank of 10 presets will be made of a group of 5 rhythm presets and 5 lead presets. With as much as the Axe can do, I figure 5 examples of each type of sound you want seems like a pretty good number to start with.

Now for the fun part. Back to the first bank of 10 patches. This bank will be my main, go-to bank of tones. These will basically be my current favorite examples of each of the above patch groups. Presets 1-5 will be for rhythm tones (clean, pushed, prog rock, rock, modern high gain), and 6-10 will be lead tones. For example, patch 004 will always be my current favorite prog rock rhythm tone, picked from patches 41-45. Patch 008 will always be my current favorite rock lead tone, picked from patches 36-40, etc.

This way, if I ever get bored with a particular tone and want a change of pace, I'll immediately have access to 4 other different sounds of a similar type I can just copy/paste into place in the first bank and be on my way.

It might be a pain to go through and build all these at first, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. So far, all I really do with patches is make two or three and just hover around those few until I'm bored, then I'll make another few and do the same thing. It's very disorganized. Hopefully this will bring some structure into things and help me better utilize more of this box's capabilities.

It's always fun to think about how you would organize gobs of amps and tones etc.. In my experience however, playing live is quite boring when it comes to patches etc. I play cover songs, mostly of the rock/country/blues variety and 90% of my songs are done on about 3 patches.... Each patch has x/y for amp settings. This is usually still just one amp, but the "Y" version is simply the boost engaged. I use an expression knob from mission to control the "drive" parameter. MFC is set up with 1-5 are presets, 6 is amp x/y, 7-9 is drive 1, drive 2, compression 1, 10 is volume decrease, 11-14 are more IA's chorus, flanger, phase, trem, 15 is volume increase, 16 is tuner (set to mute for guitar changes etc.), and 17 is Matt Man's boost trick (I think bypass is set to about 118, and on is full 127). I also have a Mission momentary switch for tap tempo.

All presets have a parallel delay and reverb, delay is always on, with exp pedal controlling "mix" parameter (0% - 100%).

Presets are like this:
1 - Fender Twin X/Y for more grit - and of course the expression knob to control gain, two drive blocks, vol +/-, boost, etc. and all IA's
2 - Fender Deluxe X/Y - same as above
3 - Badger 15/30 on X/Y, same as above
4 - Badger 15/Fender SuperTweed X/Y - this time the exp knob controls the gain param of the drive blocks as this preset is for switching between clean/dirty for ZZ Top type stuff...
5 - Mark Day's HBE with Yek's Phaser settings for vintage EVH. This is for all heavy rock/solo tones etc.

Like I said, this covers about 90% of what I need. When I do SRV, I use an SRV specific preset. I have maybe 1 or 2 other presets I use and that's about all I need.

When I was in a band, I grouped my presets so the presets for a set were clumped together. They weren't necessarily my first 5/10/15/etc presets, they were just grouped together so once I got to the "neighborhood" I didn't have to go far for the next song. I try to keep it to one preset per song, using scenes and IAs to manage my tones within a preset.

I set the MFC to bank 10 and use the top row for IA's. I place similar presets in the same location in each bank so I always know where my clean amp, clean chorus, clean dry, rhythm, lead, lead+ delay are. I presently use 4 banks with my band and have two banks set for worship service at church. Works fine for my needs. I also set a boost in each patch so I can increase the sound level without changing the patch sound. I assigned the boost to a separate Boss dual footswitch and put it in front of my MFC-101 on my pedalboard. I step on the boost switch probably more than any other switch, so it is right at my feet and easy to turn on and off.

I was like you in that setting this thing up is so time consuming that sometimes you almost want to go back to an amp just so that you can turn two knobs and you are forced to live with it.
ALMOST. But cooler heads prevail as once it is setup and find you like it, it is indispensable.

Comically, for me, I at first tried to do WAY too much tweaking. I fucked with everything that you could. In the end, it was too complicated and sounded like shit.

I had to learn to simplify the approach. So I turned to using as few presets as possible, and making what is in front of me in a single preset quickly and highly customizable.

Unless a song needs a very specific sound, I therefore use only a few presets and use scenes 1-4 and combinations of X/Y of two amps to vary the scenes.
Basically, I'll setup a patch for a sound/song type, like blues rock, metal, folk, etc.
For each patch, I'll set up my "goto" sound for scene 1 (MFC button 1). In scenes 2 and 3, I'll have a clean(er) tone and a more saturated tone.
For scene 4, it is the "lead tone" for that preset, which has a boost and in some cases a more driven sound/set of effects.
Where scene 5 would be on the bottom (button 5) of the MFC, I put a boost (I use PEQ2 to do it) that can be hit for any tone I'm in at the time to solo.
So, the character of the drive and sound is on the bottom five buttons with the exception of the drive "pedal", which I can use to further change the sound.
I also have a PEQ I use to change the tonal character of each scene if it just isn't fitting right, which is generally a mid-range tweak depending on the preset.
I will use two amps and X/Y both of those as necessary to get the variance and sound for each tone in each scene, but I don't mess with this stuff live...that is the scene's job!
The MFC is setup to do all IA. About the only tweak I need to perfect the approach is external control of the drive level, although I fear I may be tweaking it too much again.

I find that I can get nearly anything I need pretty close for a live situation quickly without having to page through a ton of presets.
I do not like when the presets stomp's on/off stay "modded", so I turn that off. I if want something's on/off state to stick, I'll save it that way on the fly.

All of this stuff is highly personal preferences for sure. For me, I'd rather tweak what I can see and get comfortable with a few patches and how they can sound vs.
trying to remember fifty patches. Even when they are setup for a certain song, which button is that funky tone with the tremolo? I used to get pretty confused.
Keep everything the same across patches if at all possible. i.e. most folks need an X/Y on the delay, so make your longer delay Y always, and your shorter delay X always.

I say make a few patches and make them versatile and get really comfortable with those unless a song needs something truly unique. Even then, make that song a variation
of a patch you are comfortable with so that your world doesn't change dramatically on stage. With scenes and X/Y and multiple amps/cabs/delays/effects, you do A TON of
variation within a single preset.

That is my vote.

In the banks I use I have no 1 as clean. This way I can easily change to rythm. In everybank I have a overdriven sound and a lead sound.

I use Scenes extensively. example:
Scene 1 - Clean rythm
Scene 2 - Clean with slight boost/ delay for solo
Scene 3 - Overdrive Lead
Scene 4 - Dist lead
Scene 5
Scene 6
Scene 7
Scene 8 - Clean with Bias tremolo

In all scenes I can switch in/out Comp, Chorus, Drive, Flange,rotary, wah, Delay.

I have my sequenser change the FIRST preset of a given song. That way I press play, an PLAY :)

AAEN

I'm using MFC presets (which is how you did Scenes before scenes were Scenes). It takes up more banks on the MFC, but gives me the advantage of being able to name them individually on the MFC display. And that way I don't risk forgetting how many scenes I have programmed for each preset... I've made the mistake of stepping on Scene 4 when I wasn't using it, and having every effect turn on... oops ;-) Note to self: when using Scenes in the future, turn OFF all fx on Scenes I'm not using.

Some day I'll switch to fully using Scenes, but in the meantime, I'm used to it this way and it works!

Most of my presets are at the end of Bank C on the Axe, but since it's easy to point any MFC preset to any Axe preset, a few are elsewhere. I use Bank C because when FAS releases updated banks w/ FW updates, most of their new presets are in Bank A. This way I can just load A, check out the new amps, and leave my own presets safely in C.

I got around 35 presets for the gig and all of the presets are arranged from ultra clean to ultra mean (ultra clean, fat/brake clean, crunch, fat rythem, lead), left to right, 5 preset a bank and according to the set list.
For example: Deep Purple, when a blind man cries: starting with a nice clean preset (switch #1) than a little breakup tone (switch #2) and for the last solo I hit switch #5.

You arrange your presets according to the set list and that’s it.
I got a few songs where the clean for example is shared but not the lead so I just copy paste the clean to the next bank.
There is more than enough space for saving presets in the Axe.
Easy.

I just set my MFC up - I picked the presets I like, set up scene 2 as a lead channel for each by adding a filter block for boost and then activating the fx I want such as drive, delay etc then I created a set for each music genre: metal, rock, blues, clean (I can have 5 presets then for each genre since bank size is set to 5) and assigned the presets to those, and then I set up so the 1-5 buttons in reveal mode select scenes for the preset. So, based on the song I'm playing I can select from my favorite presets in the genre, then when select the one I want I can hit reveal and I am ready to go for lead channel and any other variants I want based on additional scenes I create. It's probably a pretty basic set up but I'm a new user and was pretty intimidated by the whole thing and this seems to work well.

For my band at the moment, I'm just using two presets. Although I've got lots in this same configuration when playing around with different amps.

For the main preset, I use scenes, so hit REVEAL when the patch is active.

Scene 1 - Clean (Shiva)
Scene 2 - Carol-Ann Triptik - Crunch
Scene 3 - Crunchy Lead
Scene 4 - Rhythm (Rock!)
Scene 5 - Rock Lead

Simple. Two amp blocks in there (Shiva, Carol-Ann), with X/Y switching for the Triptik as appropriate. Boosts for solos done with null Filter blocks - I LOVE filter blocks!

The other patch for live work is song-specific (She Sells Sanctuary) due to the various delay and flanger effects required:

Scene 1 - Clean Intro
Scene 2 - Rhythm
Scene 3 - Dirty / Lead Riff thing.

I have a Dumble patch kicking around, just not required for my band, but it does sound great...

11 - 15: clean rhythm
16 - 20: clean lead

21 - 25: pushed / overdriven clean rhythm
26 - 30: pushed / overdriven clean lead

31 - 35: rock rhythm
36 - 40: rock lead

41 - 45: progressive rock / mid gain rhythm
46 - 50: progressive rock / mid gain lead

51 - 55: modern high gain rhythm
56 - 60: modern high gain lead

Used to have a similar approach. Two guitarists, 45 presets each... however, since upgrading to the II and everything that now comes with FW changes etc, I've trimmed things back to less than a third of that. Just too much ball-ache when amending things

All are controlled from sequencer though and that can of course contain individual volume commands too if necessary - although they've actually all remained at my 'default 100' level in practice anyway

Back
Top Bottom