How do you navigate presets?

Right - I phrased that poorly.

What if a new preset was introduced, to showcase a new amp, or for any other reason, and from the factory was positioned where you have a preset that you've built (or otherwise put in that slot)?
The factory presets are assigned to Banks A-C and the "all-banks" file will automatically be placed into those slots overwriting anything already existing there. Existing presets will be overwritten after it asks if you're sure.

Instead of using the all-banks file, you can load factory presets by the individual banks, and will be given the choice of the destination bank in the modeler. Existing presets will still be overwritten after it asks if you're sure.

You can also open the Preset Manager and drop a bank file into the left-hand pane and the manager will scan and present the contained presets in the file, and you can select individual ones, or groups of them, and drag them to wherever you want in the right-hand pane. Again, existing presets will still be overwritten after it asks if you're sure.

You can leave the factory presets in banks A-C, or move them, or delete them, it's up to you. I leave them because I prowl through them looking for ideas or to grab something, and my personal presets start at bank D, slot 400, which is out of the range of the factory presets. YMMV, but then you assume more responsibility for the organization and increase your likelihood of overwriting presets you might want to keep.

In all cases, it's a really good idea to run a backup prior to beginning any changes to the presets, whether you're editing or organizing, because we all have "oh shit!, no wait!, dammit!" adventures and a selective restore of presets caught in the wreckage can make life less tense.

Reactions: rog
So what would happen if a new amp model was introduced, and from the factory was positioned where you have a preset that you've built (or otherwise put in that slot)?
I will say that the "Song" points to a specific preset number (or multiple numbers) and scene numbers. If the preset it points to is moved, then it is still going to call the preset # it originally referenced, so it's going to go to that preset # no matter what is stored there. I don't think it's likely that Fractal will replace or move existing "Factory" presets. If you do use setlists though, you should NOT move presets that are called by your defined "Songs" because of that. You can still move other presets around that aren't called by your songs. And you can redefine the songs to point to a new preset # if you do move a preset, you just have to be aware of that if you move them and keep the locations current.

The Firmware download is different than the Factory Preset download.

If the Firmware download includes new amp models it doesn't mean that they will change an amp model in your preset. You need edit your preset to select the new amp model that is made available by the new Firmware.

You load the Factory Presets to update and add them. Don't update a preset that you don't want to update. That is up to you to manage. I manage it by avoiding editing and use of the factory preset numbers that the factory uses. If I like a factory preset, I copy it to an empty number then edit the copy. Then I know that I can always refresh all factory presets without touching anything that I edited.

I use the BandHelper app on an iPad to arrange set lists. It is configured to use midi to change to the right preset for each song when changing to it in the set list. The reduces footswitch use to changing scenes within each song.

I have a preset for most songs my band plays…..that’s about 375 presets arranged in alphabetical order.
If we have a predetermined set list, I pull them out in another area And put in order.

Wait a sec, 375 presets/songs? Now that is a repertoire size to aspire to. Maybe you're in a Ramones style punk band where a song averages a minute and a half running time :grin: Even then, that is a healthy number of tunes for one band.

A good tip is to turn on Bank Limits and set them to wrap ... you can keep all the factory presets, but put your own in (say ) 400 - 412, then set the upper limit to 412 and the lower limit to 400.

You can navigate to any preset you like by turning the scroll wheel (I cant remember if you need to turn the Bank limit off first though) ... when you change via your feet, you can go 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 400, 401 - then back 400, 412, 411 ... in other words, the presets will wrap between the upper and lower limits.

Do this in conjuction with setting your Bank size. For example, on an FM9 you can set the upper right three foot switches to be Bank UP, Bank DOWN, View change, and then the lower six buttons can be Preset 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (well, technically the feature is Select in Bank, with the Bank size set to 6). This way you can get to any of 12 Presets within two short presses.

Another cool feature is Layout Links. For all of the Presets 1-6 on the lower row of switches, link these to your Scenes layout. That way, as soon as you select a Preset, the FM9 will automatically change to all the Scenes in that Preset.

:cool:

Another cool feature is Layout Links. For all of the Presets 1-6 on the lower row of switches, link these to your Scenes layout. That way, as soon as you select a Preset, the FM9 will automatically change to all the Scenes in that Preset.

:cool:
i do this. works great.

I started using Setlist/song mode a couple months ago. It really helped clean up my performances and cuts down on tap dancing…. I moved a bunch of presets I don’t use up to the higher Emory locations. I built a set of generic presets with tones I needed sorted by amp type. For songs that really required something special, I just created a special preset for that song.

I went into setlist/ song mode and created the song entries. Drag them into the set lists, on the bottom row of buttons, I have a max of 5 presets/scenes for the current song. The lower rightmost button is a null filter I use for a lead boost in all my presets.

the top 3 buttons are next/previous song, and the last button changes my layout back to effect mode.

The Firmware download is different than the Factory Preset download.

If the Firmware download includes new amp models it doesn't mean that they will change an amp model in your preset. You need edit your preset to select the new amp model that is made available by the new Firmware.

You load the Factory Presets to update and add them. Don't update a preset that you don't want to update. That is up to you to manage. I manage it by avoiding editing and use of the factory preset numbers that the factory uses. If I like a factory preset, I copy it to an empty number then edit the copy. Then I know that I can always refresh all factory presets without touching anything that I edited.

I use the BandHelper app on an iPad to arrange set lists. It is configured to use midi to change to the right preset for each song when changing to it in the set list. The reduces footswitch use to changing scenes within each song.
I just started doing this as well (once I got the midi inputs/mapping understood within the BandHelper app). It almost feels like magic 😆

I put the main amp model name used in from of the preset name so when I do A-Z they are all grouped together.

I use an FC6 to switch between 5 presets that I use a lot. I use the 6th switch on the FC6 for a boost toggle. I reserve 5 spots in the preset list for gig presets and the buttons map to those 5 spots. If I want different presets for a gig, I just need to copy them to those spots and I don't need to reprogram anything. If I need more than 5 presets I also have a four button bluetooth footswitch (Airturn BT-200/S-4) that I can program to select a preset (huge pain in the butt to program). But I only play in church so there just aren't that many sounds I need. I might feel different if I were in a cover band and was trying to sound like the guitar in a song, but I've never worried about that so much.

With the factory presets, I have methodically gone through the entire list, played each scene, and made notes in a spreadsheet of which scenes I like, or things I want to figure out about a preset. I construct my own presets using the scenes I like in the factory ones by bringing up the factory preset, going to the scene, and saving the blocks for the sounds I like. Then I apply those blocks to my own preset scenes. It's a bit of work but I end up with presets that each have 8 scenes that either use sounds I like from factory presets or sounds I've dialed in myself. With 5 presets reachable with my FC6 that's forty sounds which for me is more than plenty. So far I've auditioned all the factory presets with my Les Paul. Now I need to repeat the process with my Strat since everything sounds different with single coils. If you're considering deleting factory presets you don't care for, make sure you listen to them with every type of guitar you have before you make up your mind about deleting them. I figure eventually I may remove at least half of the factory presets, but I'm a long way away from that decision.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom