How do you manage output EQ versus amp EQ?

How important is it to adjust the output eq to get a good monitor tone from an FRFR? I assumed it was best to leave the output eq flat and sculpt the tone from the amp block and an eq in the chain, but I recently added some low end and high end to get some more presence and thought maybe the result was different than adding it elsewhere in the chain. Is that just my imagination? What are your approaches to managing the EQ and different stages of the signal chain?

I have an EQ right after my drives, then also use the output EQ in the amp block. The EQ after drives and before the amp is more of a general tone-shaping EQ for me with a little volume boost to hit the amp a little harder, while the output EQ in the amp block is pushing more mids and presence to help cut through the mix.

Cliff's recipe for Pre-EQ. It is like opening the lights in a room illuminated only with candles.

It also makes the change from bridge to neck pickup smoother, as it reduces the extreme hi and lo frequencies and emphasizes the juice, pushing the amp like k-y jelly.

1725953492680.png
1725953642249.png

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-power-of-pre-eq.80951/post-1277961

tip: using the Amp Input EQ saves one block. Useful for those who export the presets to the FM3

Last edited:
I use pre-EQ to adjust how an amp compresses & breaks up... getting the 'feel' right. Post-EQ is where the real tone-shaping happens IMO, how bright or dark, middy or scooped, and so on.

Does anyone find that the output EQ is essential to getting a better amp in the room sound?
"Amp in the room" is a misconception. But I find that the IR choice and the settings at the Room/Air section of the CAB block are more essential for getting a good feel.

I think each placement of EQ has a specific purpose.

Amp Input EQ to control how the amp behaves especially for break up. I use this most often to keep the low end from overwhelming an overdriven Amp.

Amp Output EQ to control amplified tone before cabinet. I almost never use this but it could be handy to tame certain frequencies before the speaker (IR).

Cabinet low/high cut to tame/accentuate characteristics of the speaker/mic. I sometimes use this.

EQ block placed after Cab block to shape tone to fit in a band mix. When playing on my own I leave this bypassed. Can be set to Ignore Scene and be controlled by Control Switch mapped to Perform Pages.

Output EQ used to adjust for specific monitoring situation (eg. Headphones vs. Studio monitors vs. PA).

Does anyone find that the output EQ is essential to getting a better amp in the room sound?
YMMV... I've completely ditched the cab block for AITR with FRFR. Instead I started using a filter block to give me the general filtering of a cab and a GEQ to fine-tune. The problem with IRs is they all have the mic baked in. This way eliminates that.

I only really touch eq in the amp block (and standard eq, maybe ideal) for any serious preset. I also dont dial in to fit in with bass or drums unless i plan to demo with it or potentially alter for use in a band setting. Ymmv.

YMMV... I've completely ditched the cab block for AITR with FRFR. Instead I started using a filter block to give me the general filtering of a cab and a GEQ to fine-tune. The problem with IRs is they all have the mic baked in. This way eliminates that.
I have not used anything buy headphones so far. Can you elaborate a little on how you set this up? Silly question? If so I acknowledge I just don’t know enough yet.

Same place you'd normally put a cab block, instead put a filter & EQ.

Here's a recent "kitchen sink" preset layout (uses both Fractal amp models and a tube amp) and the settings I like for the filter & EQ. I also use these settings for normal, end-to-end FRFR presets.

The trick is to use the EQ to make it brighter, darker, whatever you need.

Attachments

• received_785177407099291.png
    received_785177407099291.png
    349.8 KB · Views: 17
  • received_1230742144751892.png
    received_1230742144751892.png
    553 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom