How do you know if a monitor is flat response?

shinodax

Hey guys,

I've been wondering how to check if different monitors are flat response. Full range doesn't really matter because I know not all monitors are full range. I'm planning to get a FRFR monitor for myself soon and I am not looking for a higher end set like what normal axe fxers would recommend (e.g QSC K12, Verve 12ma etc).

I've checked out some of the budget monitors like kustom, studiomaster, laney etc but I am not sure if they are flat response. And there is a sale this weekend and here are some of the monitors that I am planning to buy for the time being. I've been using headphone all along. Godammn headphones! arghh!

1. Laney CK30 - Keyboard amp
2. Studiomaster PX10 - passive 10" monitor
3. Studiomaster VPX-12 - Active 12" monitor
4. SAVE UP AND BUY A BETTER FRFR.

Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

There is no defining line, I think, for flat response. Even those nicer speakers you mentioned are not going to have an exactly straight line across the frequency spectrum. Also, this isn't always the best thing to judge off of. You'd think the flatter the better, but sometimes a slightly "less" flat response can sound better to you and others than one that looks flatter on paper.

True "flat response" is, well, flat response. A totally flat response means that there is no increase or decrease in volume level across the entire audible frequency range. This means +/- 0 dB, all the way from 20Hz up to 20,000Hz.

This is, of course, not achievable in the real world, where frequency response does vary from being a perfectly flat line. Frequency response is normally quoted as being within some range, described in decibels. For example, it's not uncommon to see a system described as "flat response" when its actual response is 20Hz - 20KHz at +/- 3 dB.

It may also come as no surprise that the "frequency response" numbers quoted by some manufacturers are significantly inaccurate. In other words, don't believe the hype, unless the data are certified by a reputable testing firm such as ETC. www.etcinc.us

Yeah. A true flat response is indeed not achievable with our technology currently. Maybe there is some out there but it might be too expensive to be mass produced. I research for quite a while and also notice that all the so-called flat response monitors are actually not really true flat response (almost close to flat frequency spectrum).

I think I should just get the monitor from the sale and try it out with the axe fx. I realise that there are a lot of monitors out there that it's not tested with the axe fx rig. Most of them I've seen are like FBT verve 12ma, atomic reactor, QSC K12, JBL EON, and some high end near-field monitors (adam a7, Mackie HDs, Genelec etc ). Axe fxers really have the money to fork out for a great sound system. hahah! I believe most of us trust the quality of the product with the price tag and brand. And of cos the price should means that the product itself is confident enough of selling that price (after the R&D , QC , construction etc).

If cheap monitors work for me then good for me. If not, I will just have to explore the higher end stuff next time. =)

Before getting the Axe-FX involved a reasonable first pass test is to play some music over them. The more familiar you are with the material the better. Make sure they don't do anthing that sounds odd. Also make sure they don't boost the bass; it's not uncommon for bass arounds 100Hz to be emphasised with a steep drop off as you go lower which is not what you want. Keep in mind that if you are comparing several speakers it helps to match the volume as best as you can since psychoacoustically speaking louder will almost alwasy sound better.

shinodax said:
Hey guys,

I've been wondering how to check if different monitors are flat response. Full range doesn't really matter because I know not all monitors are full range. I'm planning to get a FRFR monitor for myself soon and I am not looking for a higher end set like what normal axe fxers would recommend (e.g QSC K12, Verve 12ma etc).

I've checked out some of the budget monitors like kustom, studiomaster, laney etc but I am not sure if they are flat response. And there is a sale this weekend and here are some of the monitors that I am planning to buy for the time being. I've been using headphone all along. Godammn headphones! arghh!

1. Laney CK30 - Keyboard amp
2. Studiomaster PX10 - passive 10" monitor
3. Studiomaster VPX-12 - Active 12" monitor
4. SAVE UP AND BUY A BETTER FRFR.

Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

I understand if you don't have the budget to buy the kind of monitor most are using but based on the price tag of some of the monitors you have selected I would recommend you save just a little more cash and step to the monitor that most are using. I'm guessing your in Europe and would think a Verve would be fairly easy to pick up. Another good recommendation would be the dB technologies M12-4 plus and would be a good alternative to the Verve and maybe a littler easer to find. I know this means you have to wait but in the long run I think you will be a lot happier. Not saying the less expensive monitors won't work but they might be quite a bit harder to get your presets to translate well without a lot of EQ'ing which can leave you guessing.

HAMERMAN409 said:
Before getting the Axe-FX involved a reasonable first pass test is to play some music over them. The more familiar you are with the material the better. Make sure they don't do anthing that sounds odd. Also make sure they don't boost the bass; it's not uncommon for bass arounds 100Hz to be emphasised with a steep drop off as you go lower which is not what you want. Keep in mind that if you are comparing several speakers it helps to match the volume as best as you can since psychoacoustically speaking louder will almost alwasy sound better.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't actually think of that way to test the monitors. If tts the case, I can forget about bringing my axe fx down to give a test run. (sorry I do not have private transport and rack case is f**king heavy)

I understand if you don't have the budget to buy the kind of monitor most are using but based on the price tag of some of the monitors you have selected I would recommend you save just a little more cash and step to the monitor that most are using. I'm guessing your in Europe and would think a Verve would be fairly easy to pick up. Another good recommendation would be the dB technologies M12-4 plus and would be a good alternative to the Verve and maybe a littler easer to find. I know this means you have to wait but in the long run I think you will be a lot happier. Not saying the less expensive monitors won't work but they might be quite a bit harder to get your presets to translate well without a lot of EQ'ing which can leave you guessing.

Sorry Im located in Asia (Singapore). High end stuff are kind of hard to get here. Guitars are easy but not things like amp heads, rack efxs, etc. Coming to monitors, the range is very limited whereby things goes from low end and jump straight up to high end. Even finding rack accessories are hard here. Takes quite an effort to research on the things and even if I found it, it will always be overpriced. damn. But I think that there is a fbt verve over here and I need to look harder for it.

I will try and find the dB technologies M12-4 plus. If it's as good as the verve, I will give it a shot. =) But I will have to use headphones for the time being. :( :( :( :(

Another important factor about FRFR is the volume where you'll use your system : what will sound quite flat at low volume will sound terribly unflat at high volume, or the opposite.
A good FRFR system will sound nearly the same way at any volume, except extremes of course.
:twisted:

Prior to getting a couple Atomic Wedges, I plugged into the PA that I was going to use and dialed in my tones that way. Eventually, I got the Atomics and then compared them to the PA. What I get out of the atomics is extremely close to the $45,000 PA we use, so I'm assuming they're pretty flat. It has been my experience that even through static FoH systems (e.g. bar PA) that I still get a great sound without any tweaking from me. I guess my answer to your question then is "If I dial in a tone on a speaker and the sound is pretty consistent on different PA's, it's probably pretty flat". I don't know if that means it's truly flat, but it certainly fulfills the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom