How do you guys handle balancing Daw/Computer/AxeFX levels?

MackieFX

Experienced
Right now using Axe3 as an audio interface and central hub. I have my Axe3 set at +4dB, OUT1 knob about 30% connected to A7X monitors at +/-0dB

In order to be able to jam with tracks on spotify/YouTube I have the volume of google chrome/spotify at about 20% on my PC. (coming through axe via usb)

Anyone got any other ways they go about this?

On the odd chance Im playing along to something, I adjust the output knob until the blend works for me.

When recording, I only monitor via Logic.

Separate outputs into a line mixer. That way you can mix them with physical knobs, either on the AxeFX or the mixer.

Right now using Axe3 as an audio interface and central hub. I have my Axe3 set at +4dB, OUT1 knob about 30% connected to A7X monitors at +/-0dB

In order to be able to jam with tracks on spotify/YouTube I have the volume of google chrome/spotify at about 20% on my PC. (coming through axe via usb)

Anyone got any other ways they go about this?
That's the same way as me.
There is also a setting for USB input levels in the III, which you could mess with a little also so you don't have to so drastically adjust the spotify level as much in the app.

Sounds like you may be on a Windows machine - but there's a cool app called SoundSource for Mac that allows all input and output levels to be adjusted and routed...

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 2.11.59 PM.png

There are USB Input levels in the Axe III.
I/O menu > USB/AES Page.
They default to 0 dB (unity gain). Turn them down a little if you want your live guitar tone louder relative to your USB monitoring feed.

This can also be an indication that your presets are leveled a bit too low as well. Use the level meter in the Out 1 block and try to keep your average output roughly around the 0 dB mark on the meter. Red on that meter does not mean it's clipping. That 0 dB line equates to roughly -14 dBFS in your DAW and leaves a good amount of headroom for peaks.

Last edited:
Commenting to follow this one. I have the exact same problem. Set up the same way, using the Axe FX as a USB interface. Presets all have an output that hovers around the 0db line. Playing along to anything for practice though, other sound sources have to be at somewhere between 20-40% so as to not be deafeningly loud compared to my guitar sound.

I usually have to turn down audio to 30-40% so I can play along with my Axe Fx 3. My presets are leveled properly ie. Hitting around 0 on the output block meter.

That's exactly why though. 0 on the meter is like -12dB or so and you are playing along with a song thats been compressed and limited to hit a certain loudness for listening.

Sounds like you may be on a Windows machine - but there's a cool app called SoundSource for Mac that allows all input and output levels to be adjusted and routed...

View attachment 88013
Getting inspired by this thread, I saw this program for Windows, though I haven’t tried it yet.

https://www.midi-mixer.com/

in my setup, I’m using Axe FX for direct monitoring and my main interface. I also have a Novation Launchkey hooked up to Reaper for soft synth stuff. I may try seeing if I can get a slider or knob on my keyboard to control the system audio. Currently I have the ability to adjust keyboard volume to match iTunes or YouTube by adjusting volume of my synth track in Reaper using a midi slider. I would like to do something similar with my guitar.

Currently, I’m using my mouse in individual apps to control volume compared to axe fx

I quit trying to juggle levels and starting running my Axe, via S/PDIF, into an Apollo Quad and using Console for monitoring. Absolute heaven. I have my computer coming in on Virtual 3/4 for YouTube and jam track playback, Logic coming in on Virtual 1/2 and blend the Axe level as needed all without impacting the record level. I love the Fractal quality as an audio interface. I wish someday a piece of monitoring software would accompany it but I feel it's too much to ask for considering all FAS does for us.

What are your USB input levels set to in the I/O menu > USB/AES page? You can lower the level of the USB Input (from the computer) there as much as -40 dB. You can do the same in Axe Edit as well by hitting the Setup button and going to the Input Levels tab. You can drag the control to your global performance page for quick access on the front panel too.

Back
Top Bottom