How do you get a good Jazz tone??

I have no problem making slightly broken up tones, and crystal clean tones are easy, but how do you get that nice warm jazzy tone?? Any time I dial in a clean tone it feels "weak", like it's sterile and has no sustain no substance. So how do YOU go about dialing in a good jazz tone??

I’m not a jazz player, but if I happen to mess around with some jazz, I roll down my tone control a bit on the guitar with one of my clean presets.

I have no problem making slightly broken up tones, and crystal clean tones are easy, but how do you get that nice warm jazzy tone?? Any time I dial in a clean tone it feels "weak", like it's sterile and has no sustain no substance. So how do YOU go about dialing in a good jazz tone??
I'm not looking to argue about guitars, but what type of guitar are you using? For the tone you describe (IMHO) you really need at least a semi-hollow and humbuckers. Playing my 335, it's extremely easy to get that tone. Not saying it can't be done with others, but the guitar definitely helps.

Last edited:
I'm not looking to argue about guitars, but what type of guitar are you using? For the tone you describe (IMHO) you really need at least a semi-hollow and humbuckers. Playing my 335, its' extremely easy to get that tone. Not saying it can't be done with others, but the guitar definitely helps.
I'm using my one and only (currently), Gibson LP Trad w/ Seth Lovers. I can get close using the neck pickup and the "Boutique 1" model, but it's still slightly breaking up when it gets to the point where I'm getting enough sustain

I'm not looking to argue about guitars, but what type of guitar are you using? For the tone you describe (IMHO) you really need at least a semi-hollow and humbuckers. Playing my 335, its' extremely easy to get that tone. Not saying it can't be done with others, but the guitar definitely helps.
I've got a 339 with P90s, and it does the trick just right. I'm not normally a fan of P90s due to the noise, but they do have a good sound, especially for clean to slightly dirty. But I agree that hollow or semi-hollow is pretty important for the genre.

I'm using my one and only (currently), Gibson LP Trad w/ Seth Lovers. I can get close using the neck pickup and the "Boutique 1" model, but it's still slightly breaking up when it gets to the point where I'm getting enough sustain
I've got a 339 with P90s, and it does the trick just right. I'm not normally a fan of P90s due to the noise, but they do have a good sound, especially for clean to slightly dirty. But I agree that hollow or semi-hollow is pretty important for the genre.
Yeah, I think the semi-hollow piece is that last little bit you need.

I always forget about P90s, but yes, I can see how they would work.

I forgot to add that the good news for you is that there's never been a better time to find good quality, inexpensive instruments. You can easily enter the semi-hollow world for less than $200 for a good 335 clone. If it winds up not being to your taste, then you could probably resale it and recoup almost all of your investment.

Back
Top Bottom