How do you feel about the looper? (Solved)

GuyJames

Inspired
I used the looper on a solo gig for first time the other day and noticed that when the loop comes around to restart it’s always rough on the synching. I’ve never had an issue with any other looper where my start and stop points sound so obvious or that there’s a rhythmic issue.

I’ve tried both settings of quantizing and cross fade in the FM3 Looper but it’s just not a smooth crossover.

Do you have a hold function on the Record or Play switches? If so, this can throw off the timing since the tap function triggers on the release of the switch, like any switch with a hold function. This happens on almost all brands of gear with a Tap and Hold so it can know if you’re tapping or holding.

It also depends what you’re looping and how accurate you are.

I use it in almost every song and have good loops.

It works ok as a simple looper, no issues with timing. I wish it had a loop indicator so you’d know when the end is coming up. I know it’s on the looper main screen but only if you call the layout.

For me, the Looper just works.

Timing is important. Sometimes people try to kick in the Record switch a bit early to “make sure” the Looper gets every note, and they stop recording a bit late for the same reason. That’s a recipe for lumpy loops.

I've never been able to get it right. I think I'm just uncoordinated. It boggles my mind to see people do it and make things land at the right time.

Do you have a hold function on the Record or Play switches? If so, this can throw off the timing since the tap function triggers on the release of the switch, like any switch with a hold function. This happens on almost all brands of gear with a Tap and Hold so it can know if you’re tapping or holding.

I do have a layout change assigned to the hold function where the record is assigned to the tap. I’ll experiment taking that away but that shouldn’t really affect it I’d think. Worth trying 🤷‍♂️

I do have a layout change assigned to the hold function where the record is assigned to the tap. I’ll experiment taking that away but that shouldn’t really affect it I’d think. Worth trying 🤷‍♂️
It greatly affects it, your brain presses the switch on the first beat. The release comes late. I tried to train myself to release on the down beat, but never could get it right.

Maybe the best option would be too use the threshold parameter to engage recording automatically when you start playing. This only works if you have a moment before where you're not playing.

If you don't have timing issues with other loopers, double-check that the physical switch you're using is working properly. I've had a problem with a switch on my FC12 that I had to fix. Try assigning that looper to another switch just to see if it's responding better.

Also, just in case, I'd backup presets and system settings then reset the unit to factory settings. I had very weird switch behavior that was solved by that on my Axe-FX III / FC12 rig.

Best of luck!

Hey this fixed it! I removed the hold function from both the record and the play switches. Side note, disabling crossfade and quantize in the looper config section yielded best results. Strange that the hold functions effect the looper but it’s all good I don’t need those two, the 3rd switch hold function gets me back to my “perform” layout where I can turn FX on/off.

Thanks for helping me get this sorted out. I was bumbed for a minute there feeling like the looper wasn’t going to be usable.

... Strange that the hold functions effect the looper...

A hold function on the same button as a tap function always affects tap function timing. This is because buttons with both tap and hold functions cause tap functions to trigger on release by necessity. Otherwise, every time you want to access the hold function, the tap function would first trigger instantaneously, then the hold function would kick in. Changing the tap function trigger to the release gives the unit time to determine if the user is actually initiating the hold function. So when starting your loop recording, you press down in time, but the recording starts milliseconds after upon release.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom