How do you define and set up "modern clean"

Ab
not a modern guy by any standard... personally live on the fenderish "dirty cleans"... but I'm a child of the Eighties and I think that is where what I think of as the modern clean was borne: what I'd call the crystal clean. the jc120 imo gets you most of the way there... and ss clean really was the clean sound of the 80s... but that sound has evolved to something "more clean(er)"... and I can't seem to get that w/o using the thing that I think I first saw either @yek or @fremen (sorry I don't remember which) do... which was taking some highs and bypassing the amp/cab and sending them to an eq. that to me is the "ultra clean clean" or perhaps "just so fresh so clean... clean... clean...". Again, not a modern guy and no golden ears... but when I hear the super clean in a lot of modern metal that is what I would guess I'm hearing. Perhaps a lot of metal bands mixing in di with their signal? i dunno.
Absolutely. You see the amp/cab bypass (DI) channel on the Alex Lifeson presets if I recall. I’ve tried the same with an EQ Lon the split and then a mixer block after the cab to bring them back together. Very similar to the blend knob on some NDSP plug-in clean amps.

Not a problem, I was hoping for conversation as part of my question was how do “you” define modern clean. Mainly checking to see if my definition aligns. I do have tones that I am happy with, generally based on a Twin amp with mild clean boost and a basket weave 4x12. With so much energy in the amp business in modern high gain, I’ve been surprised that clean typically reverts back to 50s and 60s standards.
Based on your op, I interpreted modern clean to be super clean, no breakup. The example @Chromatizm posted is more (to me) a classic rock tone.

For the first scenario, my thought was the Solo 100 clean as it has a pretty good amount of headroom. You could put KT88 in there to add even more headroom.

The second scenario... a lot of that tone has to do with the guitar/pickups and the touch.... but I got pretty close using a vibroluxe, blues od, and the york audio 2x12 M65.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I'm lost what else I need to do to get close to this tone by @Marco Sfogli

I think I've tried every amp in the unit, uncountable number of IRs, boost/drive pedals, etc... Each time I think I'm close I'm nothing but miles away from it. I just don't know what else to do! Help!

That's the only tone I've not been able to replicate 1:1 on the Fractal. It is originally a Suhr Badger profile with the gain cranked a little bit. I got close using a Badger 18 amp model turning the Dynamics around 5-6, it was close but still lacking the attack and clarity

That's the only tone I've not been able to replicate 1:1 on the Fractal. It is originally a Suhr Badger profile with the gain cranked a little bit. I got close using a Badger 18 amp model turning the Dynamics around 5-6, it was close but still lacking the attack and clarity
Can't thank you enough for getting back to me, Marco!
This tone haunts me in my dreams - literally the best tone I've ever heard, and the only one I want so badly I can't stop trying to get it - I don't lie - for more than 6 months now! Every day! :)

If I may - which IR or type of cabinet/mic combination would you recommend to get as close as possible?
I'm sorry, I can't stop! :D

Thanks a lot for the info!
And even if it sounds like... like a diehard 13 year old fan... I admire so much your work as a guitarist! you're a truly inspiration!

Can't thank you enough for getting back to me, Marco!
This tone haunts me in my dreams - literally the best tone I've ever heard, and the only one I want so badly I can't stop trying to get it - I don't lie - for more than 6 months now! Every day! :)

If I may - which IR or type of cabinet/mic combination would you recommend to get as close as possible?
I'm sorry, I can't stop! :D
Sorry my bad, it was a Suhr Badger 30 amp. I used Factory 2 #761 4x12 MAR-CB PR-H55 57 OH cabinet. Amp Definition parameter around 7.5

Back
Top Bottom