How do you connect 2 expression pedals + midi controller at the same time

bobmeredith

I have a perfectly servicable midi controller that suits my needs (old ADA MC-1). It has no added expression jacks etc. I'm currently using 2 mission pedals and the MC-1 with my ultra and would like to do the same with the AXEII when I buy one.

I don't want to use the Fractal midi unit or anything else if I can help it. The MC-1 is small, 10 buttons per bank and is not a "mini computer" requiring software up dates. It's been rock solid for years with a fair amount of abuse.

Unfortunately I have the suspicion that any other solution would be messy, potentially buggy, and a PITA.

Any suggestions

Last edited:
it looks like the Axe 2 don't have the 2 'pedal' inputs that the Ultra had...
having owned neither unit I can't say I'm an authority on this...
that said, I can't see how you'd connect external EXP pedals to the Axe2 without a controller that either has them built in or that can host external ones..

I've got an ADA MC1.. got it decades ago to drive my Roland GP-16 [which I also got decades ago]
and even back then I realised it's limitations and swapped it out for an Art X-15 Ultra Foot...
and yup.. there was some... erm.. config 'fun' to get the Art to control the GP-16 but I got there in the end..

the controller that comes with the 2120 is really nice [my personal fave] but that only works with the 2120..

I also have a Roland FC-300 [which is excellent] but that's working with the VG-99
[which it does seemlessly and with no need for config beyond telling it "you're connected to a VG-99"]..
I think this combination is by far the most capable I've come across as yet...
I've heard though that the Axe2 didn't work well / easily with the FC-300 [which is a huge shame - unless of course all the bugs have been ironed out]..

personally, I like the 'extras' that MIDI SysEx brings in terms of integration, so when I get my Axe2 I'll be ordering the MFC and a pair of Roland EXP pedals..
right now though I'm not sure if I'll add a pair of Boss FS-6 switches or if I'll try to handle that side of things all on the MFC [courtesy of some slick suggestions by Matt]....

Last edited:
I'm probably looking at one of these
MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller; Continuous MIDI Data Generator

Plus one of these
MIDI Solutions Merger; Two Input MIDI Merger

As I said, a potential PITA but at least I could gaffer them in the back of my rack and forget about them. If they worked!!.Looks like powering them may be a problem.

It's a real disappointment to me that Fractal only decided to offer 1 expression pedal port on the Axe II. I understand that they have a "grand vision" for the AXe and their foot controller, but not all of us require all that functionality.

Worst comes to worst I'll change my Volume pedal from global to a parameter for each patch (pita) and buy a wha pedal.

You need only the first one with midi echo on.

Hoped that might be the case. I would have to run the MC-1 into the midi data generator and the ex pedal into the same box,
then both into the midi in of the axe, then assign one channel for program change and a CC for the ex pedal?

what a great lil' box.....

however..... have fun setting it up...
from the manual...

To program the device parameters, send the unit the following
System Exclusive message:
F0 00 00 50 16 00 aa bb cc dd ee F7 (all values in Hex)
aa = Echo ON/OFF (aa = 00: Echo OFF, aa = 01: Echo ON)
bb = Curvature Amount (bb = 00: no curvature, bb = 7F:
maximum curvature)
cc = Curvature Direction (cc = 00: downward, cc = 01:
aaaaaa upward)
dd = Neutral Range Bottom (dd = 00: Automatic)
ee = Neutral Range Top (ee = 00: Automatic)

Rear.jpg

Only one pedal jack on the Axe II

If you want a cheaper solution than the MFC you will need another midi pedal that has two CC inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoped that might be the case. I would have to run the MC-1 into the midi data generator and the ex pedal into the same box,
then both into the midi in of the axe, then assign one channel for program change and a CC for the ex pedal?

thinking about it....
if you want to run 2 EXP pedals and wanted to avoid having to config the pedal controller via SysEx
maybe you can do something like this...

EXP 1 straight into the Axe2
EXP2 via the pedal controller using it's default settings [channel 1 / CC 7] and if you can [not looked it up in the Axe manual] use channel 1 / CC 7 to do something other than master volume by reassigning what it controls in the Axe.

EDIT: and use the MC-1 in it's default state and be mindful that channel 1 / CC 7 is being used by you in your own way and that the factory default presets will react to master volume when you wiggle the pedal...
so if you want it to do something else you'll need to remember to unassign that before setting up whatever it is you're trying to control...

Last edited:
I'd say yes, but I only read the website, so some futher reading on the manual is necessary.

iI also have a Roland FC-300 [which is excellent] but that's working with the VG-99
[which it does seemlessly and with no need for config beyond telling it "you're connected to a VG-99"]..
I think this combination is by far the most capable I've come across as yet...
I've heard though that the Axe2 didn't work well / easily with the FC-300 [which is a huge shame - unless of course all the bugs have been ironed out]..

You do not want to get into a world of MFC-101 vs Roland gear . I'm not saying that to can't be done, but it is long winded compared to some systems.

You do not want to get into a world of MFC-101 vs Roland gear . I'm not saying that to can't be done, but it is long winded compared to some systems.

yeah I took a look at another thread and getting the FC to work with the Axe looked like a bit of a mare....

the controller that comes with the 2120 is really nice [my personal fave] but that only works with the 2120..

I always liked how my Control One worked with my 2120. It seemed like it was designed by guitar players not techno guys. Didn't do it all (I do have MFC-101 now) but what it did, it did very well.

I always liked how my Control One worked with my 2120. It seemed like it was designed by guitar players not techno guys. Didn't do it all (I do have MFC-101 now) but what it did, it did very well.

totally...
it's great to use live... the unit is very low, the switches are big and have a lot of space between them.. it's display is easy to read in low light..
and the 2nd row is really easy to get at.. that said I prefer to be 'heel down' if I need to make changes mid song..
and there was nothing to configure... you just plug it in and it's done..

funny thing though is that the 2120 was so good that even Digitech's latest kit don't touch it.. lol..

The new Liquid Foot+ series all have 4 CC inputs. I have a LF Jr & it only has 2 CC inputs. When the price is announced for the Jr+, I might be selling my Jr! ;)

Back
Top Bottom