How do you choose an Amp?

There is something to be said for dialing up ANY preset with almost any guitar in your quiver and seeing what the scene's do. IMO sound inspires what to play, which includes levels of Fractal and guitar volume/tone and pickups. Any preset that delivers a cool vibe and memorable riff, especially if it's unique to your usual playing, is worth hitting record for a few minutes, and documenting setup.

The two approaches I use:

When I'm playing conventional amps, I tend to prefer Marshall-style amps (JMP, JCM, Jube), and those are my go-tos in the Fractal stuff too, either Marshalls or any of the various Marshall derivatives.

Sometimes I'll just create a bare preset with my favorite IR and maybe a drive pedal, and just start at the beginning of the amp list, and play with stuff I don't normally use.

Early on I bought the AustinBuddy Naked Amp pack, and spent time with that. For me, it was really insightful to start with presets that someone knowledgeable had dialed in, and then seeing how they'd put everything together.

Back
Top Bottom