How do you boost? (Humorous comments are encouraged!)

ByTheHandOf

Inspired
I am trying to figure out the best way to set-up a boost in my set-up.

So far I have been addin a filter or dist block before the amp, but when using High-gain amps, the effect is rather limited, even if boost is set to about 6-8 dbs.

I am therefor thinking about lowering the general volume of my presets (by lowering master on either amp or cab blocks), and putting a clean boost (filter) at the very end of the chain to take advance of the headroom created.

Before playing around though, I would love to hear what you guys do??

High gain amps' preamp sections are already too compressed so that they cannot increase the volume output when driven harder.

I think that you mean solo boost.

I do not use drive pedals, I simply don't like them. Instead, for a solo boost, I use a delay (mixed 10%-15%) with a mid bump. This helps.

PS: my tones really suck big time... Please ignore my comment...

I use scenes to adjust the output up a few dB in the output block for my solo boosts. I usually also kick in a subtle ducked delay at the same time to add some "size".

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but...

I use a drive block as needed in front of the amp, to change the tone for the lead. But then I set it such that the overall volume does not change, especially in the area of the fretboard where I am likely to be soloing. Then, after the amp block, I put a global volume pedal. That let's me adjust the boost volume across all presets at once. I'm strangely finding that a boost there of about 2.3-2.5 is enough in most situations, I think because the drive blocks typically are a mid boost as well.

I'm interested in seeing how others do it, too. My favorite amp is an ODS clone I built, where the lead boost bypasses the tone stack. I ended up building in a MV control for that alone, and it proved very useful.

As someone else indicated, many amps have so much preamp compression that attempting to boost volume in front of the amp will only generate more saturation, not more volume.

I use the GEQ block At the end of my chain. Inside the GEQ block I bump about 3db in overall output and I also have the 500k and 1000k frequencies boosted a bit for a mid range bump. I'm not sure if these are the right frequencies to boost but they sounded right to my ears. I also have one dedicated IA switch that will increase my gain a bit for solos, turn on the GEQ block and also change my delay from Y To X which is a bit of a heavier delay with slightly less ducking so the solo stands out more than my rhythm tone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's all about the "Scenes"- I use a Drive block in front of the amp, mostly to add a little "texture" and then boost the solo Scene's output the appropriate amount.

I use a GEQ block at the end of the preset with the level controlled by Extern 1; a pedal. I've got it set to 0db heel down and +6db toe down. I like having the control when I'm playing so it's not a fixed db.

I dial in my presets with the pedal toe down to make sure I'm not going to clip.

I ask for +8db headroom at soundcheck to avoid clipping the desk. I find it hard to soundcheck with all my boosts on as inevitably the mix isn't proper when I deactivate the boosts. Even if I communicate the different between boost and non. I've had better luck just asking for headroom and soundchecking with boosts off.

I used to use a null Filter block but I found I sometimes like to make some frequency tweaks at the end of the chain now n then and I find the GEQ more my style.

do_you_even_boost_bro__24439.1391782643.1280.1280.png

I use a compressor/drive or combination of both before the amp.....the compressor gives me some 'clean' attack into the amp, the drive pedal colors and adds some compression to the amp.....I also add a null filter block at the end of my chain to give it a 3-4db boost. Works well for me, just have to balance the comp/drive settings so your not killing the signal before the amp and ruining the core rhythm tone.

It depends on the sound I want. I keep my volume pedal (towards the end of the chain) between 50% and 70% with guitar volume at 100% -or- keep the volume pedal at 100% and the guitar volume at 50%ish. When a lead comes up I raise the volume on the knob or pedal. This gives me a lot of flexibility to adjust the level from either end of the chain as needed at that moment.

The other alternative that I have used is to raise the level of the delay pedal at the end of my fx chain. I generally play rhythm without delay and leads with it so that's a good place to raise the volume while keeping the same tone.

Pre AXE FX days, I would only boost when I couldnt reach the table at restaurants....they had to damn uncomfortable one size fits all plastic molded butt helmets.....geesh...makes my ass hurt just thinking about them.

I like the FET boost if I'm going to use an effect. I think that it's pretty clean, but has some warmness to it and usually if I am boosting a signal I am looking for more juice to it. But one thing that I've tried to do is to make my presets a bit brighter and louder than I would usually use and just use the volume and tone on the guitar to reign it in. That way I always have a little bit on tap to roll in right there. But then again I like the way that rolling the volume off the guitar effects my signal a lot of times; I know that many people just dime their vol and tone and go from there. If that was the case for me I'd just do the foot controller with the 0 - 6dB thing as barhrecords suggested.

Back
Top Bottom