How do I reamp using Apollo Twin Duo?

J.B.

Hi guys
icon_smile.gif

I need help on reamping with an Apollo Twin Thunderbolt Duo, an Axe FXII, my Macbook Pro, and LPX.

I'm using the Apollo Twin as the main Interface.

Here's what I do know
icon_smile.gif

1) How to set up the separate guitar track on LPX to record the original Axe f/x laden track (on input 1 and 2).
2) How to set up the separate guitar track on LPX to record the clean Axe signal (on input 3).
3) How to set up the separate guitar track on LPX to re-record the alternate sound Axe f/x track (on input 4) from the clean Axe signal.
4) How to go into the Axe's settings and change it to analog/usb/SPDIF/etc.
5) How to go into LPX's Audio Preferences and change it to the Apollo Twin/Axe FX/etc.

Here's what I don't know how to do
icon_smile.gif

How to hook it all up, what cable to use (not a usb, as I can't make it work with a usb cable), and how to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

First problem: why is USB not working? Axe-Edit is a massively powerful tool that uses USB to talk to the Axe. We've got to get this sorted (you did download the Fractal USB driver, right?)

BTW - I use an all analog path to reamp. Great option, but it'll set you back $700+. I have also done comparisons against the USB reamping scheme - no real difference! Others can tell you how to use S/PDIF digitally as well, but a properly working USB interface is truly your friend here. What OS and other hardware are you running?

Agreed with @plyall ... usb and/ or SPDIF is crucial to smooth reamping and integration with Logic and Mac OS. Especially with Twin duo that only has 3 analog Ins..(And only two at a time can be used....
Steps to make sure. USB works correctly...
Is Axe-Edit working on your Mac? If so, next go into the Audio Midi utility on Mac.and create an Aggregate Device that includes both AxeFX and Apollo as input/output..make sure the sampling rate is 48 across all devices. Select
Aggregate Device as your input / output in Logic preferences. Then you should be able to select any of the AXEs USB ins to record wet or dry channels...the AXFX manual and Wiki has all the info you need from there........

Last edited:
Also highly recommend getting your Spdif set up as well,...for that you will need a cheap Coax to Optical converter and a coax and optical cable.

First problem: why is USB not working? Axe-Edit is a massively powerful tool that uses USB to talk to the Axe. We've got to get this sorted (you did download the Fractal USB driver, right?)

BTW - I use an all analog path to reamp. Great option, but it'll set you back $700+. I have also done comparisons against the USB reamping scheme - no real difference! Others can tell you how to use S/PDIF digitally as well, but a properly working USB interface is truly your friend here. What OS and other hardware are you running?

Hi plyall :)

1) Yes, I downloaded the USB Driver.
2) My Mac OS is 10.8.5, and it works fine with LPX and all my plugins.
3) My main Interface is the UAD Apollo Twin Duo (Thunderbolt version).

I plug the guitar into the Axe FX input, and go out the Axe analog outs to the Apollo Twin analog inputs.

As I said, I'm using the Apollo as the interface, not the Axe.

Thanks,
Jerry

Agreed with @plyall ... usb and/ or SPDIF is crucial to smooth reamping and integration with Logic and Mac OS. Especially with Twin duo that only has 3 analog Ins..(And only two at a time can be used....
Is Axe-Edit working on your Mac? If so, next go into the Audio Midi utility on Mac.and create an Aggregate Device that includes both AxeFX and Apollo as input/output..make sure the sampling rate is 48 across all devices. Select
Aggregate Device as your input / output in Logic preferences. Then you should be able to select any of the AXEs USB ins to record wet or dry channels...the AXFX manual and Wiki has all the info you need from there........

Hi bradlake :)

Now we're getting somewhere! In all my Google/YouTube searches, creating an Aggregate Device was never mentioned.

As far as Axe Edit working, yes, it works perfectly.

When you say "Then you should be able to select any of the AXEs USB ins to record wet or dry channels", what does that mean?

To reiterate my goal, I want to record a guitar track that has the original Axe selected sound (I select input 1 and 2), and I want to simultaneously record another track with the dry Axe sound (I select input 3).

Once I have accomplished the above, I want to record a third track (I will select input 4) that will take the dry Axe track and record an alternate Axe sound on the third track.

Will the Wiki link explain exactly how to do so?

Thanks!
Jerry

If it were me, I'd consider ditching the Apollo. Unless you find great value in its on board plug ins I can't see what value it is adding in your set up?

If you were to use the Axe as your audio interface you would: a) remove one d/a and a/d conversion from the recording process (so however great the Apollo is, it is only taking away from your recording (in my non-expert opinion)) and b) be able to re-amp really easily. The only downside is that to use the axe as an audio interface consumes 4-5% CPU so if your presets are very cpu hungry this could be an issue?

If it were me, I'd consider ditching the Apollo. Unless you find great value in its on board plug ins I can't see what value it is adding in your set up?

If you were to use the Axe as your audio interface you would: a) remove one d/a and a/d conversion from the recording process (so however great the Apollo is, it is only taking away from your recording (in my non-expert opinion)) and b) be able to re-amp really easily. The only downside is that to use the axe as an audio interface consumes 4-5% CPU so if your presets are very cpu hungry this could be an issue?

How would I plug two microphones into the Axe, and what will I use for a Mic Preamp?

I'm starting to find out that more guitar players than I thought use the Axe as their only Inteface :)

I have to record more than a guitar (Drums/Bass Guitar/Keyboards/Vocals/etc.), and IMHO, the AXE is not truly designed for that.

Good point.

So reamping with the Apollo sounds like its a pain in the a** due to limited i/o. If you want to record the guitar and vocal simultaneously through the Apollo then my plan isn't a great one :)

One possibility (and what I do at the moment) is to use a cheap preamp (I have a ART StudioV3) feed this into the axe (using the rear right input) you could then route both your guitar and mic through the axe to your DAW (albeit to record both together they would need to be two mono l/r panned signals?)

The other thing you might try is to aggregate the two devices such that you have both the axe and the Apollo available via usb in the DAW

I've:
1) Created an Aggregate Device called Axe/Apollo.
2) I set my Console to 48Hz.
3) I selected Axe/Apollo as the input and output in LPX's Audio Preferences.
4) As soon as I change the Axe I/O settings to Main Input USB, I get no sound.

What am I doing wrong?

I have also been contemplating doing something similar, since I also own a Apollo Twin Quad Thunderbolt.

One of the few plugins I selected when I first got it was a Tape emulation, I reckon that using it as an insert while tracking would be a good use for the double A/D/D/A conversion. Which leads to your next point...

Most of the Unison channel strip plugins also add some tube or solid state character and thus I can imagine that whatever is lost is the double conversion, you could make up for it. Convoluted, yes, and difficult to recreate live, but I believe that in theory it would be possible, am I right?

To reiterate my goal, I want to record a guitar track that has the original Axe selected sound (I select input 1 and 2), and I want to simultaneously record another track with the dry Axe sound (I select input 3).

Once I have accomplished the above, I want to record a third track (I will select input 4) that will take the dry Axe track and record an alternate Axe sound on the third track.

On your first goal, you should note that you can only use Analog Inputs 1&2 on the Apollo at the same time. When you connect something to the third input, the one in the front, one of the analogs in the back shuts down as bradlake mentioned. Also, I'm not sure which 4th input you refer to?

Could you elaborate on this a bit further? Have never used SPDIF... thanks

I have also been contemplating doing something similar, since I also own a Apollo Twin Quad Thunderbolt.

One of the few plugins I selected when I first got it was a Tape emulation, I reckon that using it as an insert while tracking would be a good use for the double A/D/D/A conversion. Which leads to your next point...

Most of the Unison channel strip plugins also add some tube or solid state character and thus I can imagine that whatever is lost is the double conversion, you could make up for it. Convoluted, yes, and difficult to recreate live, but I believe that in theory it would be possible, am I right?

On your first goal, you should note that you can only use Analog Inputs 1&2 on the Apollo at the same time. When you connect something to the third input, the one in the front, one of the analogs in the back shuts down as bradlake mentioned. Also, I'm not sure which 4th input you refer to?

Could you elaborate on this a bit further? Have never used SPDIF... thanks

I got the terms Input 1/2/etc. from the youtube video of the German guy recording the original Axe sound on a track and setting the input on that track as 1 and 2.

He set up a second track (to record the clean signal) and set the input on that track as Input 3.

He then set up a third track that took the clean track and recorded a totally different Axe sound by setting that tracks input as 4.

Regardless, as plyall mentioned, does he mean you have to use usb and SPIDIF at the same time to reamp correctly, or does he mean you can use either usb or SPDIF?

Could you post the link? I assume you are talking about eytschpi42, but couldn't find it, thanks

I'm new, so the Forum won't let me post a link yet.

The youtube video was found with these search terms: Axe FX II Tutorial

The man's name is Bernd Kiltz

Jerry

I have no experience of using aggregated audio devices but this is worth exploring perhaps. If you want to do it by usb AND keep the Apollo this will be the only way I think? what you need to try and achieve is some way of outputting the dry track in your daw to the usb input of the axe which will then go via analogue back into the daw via the Apollo. Honestly I have no idea if this can be done :(

If you can compromise on the USB, could you not use the outputs 3&4 of the Apollo and feed these into input 2 of the axe (assuming you don't need the effects loop) and reamp that way?

EduFiend, I take your point about the value of the Apollo plugins, for sure they have a great reputation. As for the 'colouring of the sound' you get by using the Apollo preamps (or plugins) I'm not sure how the Apollo handles line level signals, does it pass it through a preamp or is that just for mic inputs? Either way its down to personal choice, if you like the sound it creates then great. I've not really though about this topic much, but my gut reaction is I want the axe doing all the work and then to record that. Maybe that's the wrong approach I don't know :)

But how does a dry track get recorded at the same time as the original heavy f/x sound?

The two inputs of the Apollo are already being used to record the heavy f/x sound.

With only two inputs you would need to record a wet/dry mono pair of tracks I think.

Did you try aggregating the two soundcard?

Back
Top Bottom