How do I make my DI Tracks have higher output?

RBM01991

Hey guys. I'm recording guitar and bass tracks with the Axe FX III, both wet and DI Tracks.

My wet tracks are coming through like normal, but my DI tracks are set to about -20 db, and they look like a limiter is being applied to them. My engineer says can't use them at that level. How do I turn up the output on the DI? He says he needs them at about -6DB

For reference, I've included a screenshot of what it looks like in my DAW.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 25
I've never heard of DI tracks being that hot, but you can just gain the clip up. Don't know your DAW but most all have either a gain plugin or a gain control for the track itself.

They are DI tracks. That is the same as plugging your guitar directly into the DAW - it is Instrument Level.

The Axe Fx passes the input signal unaltered to the output.

It is expected to be low and if you re-amp that back to the Axe Fx it will be exactly the same as if you plugged in your guitar.

This is not a problem ;)

Have your engineer re-amp them back through your AxeFX, you’ll see what they’re talkin’ about above.

Mine are always around there, zero issues re-amping them.

Really low gain guitar DI tracks are totally normal, in fact my DI's are almost inaudible the levels are so low but when they get reamped through analog gear everything sounds fine.

I'm also wondering why your engineer can't just gain up the clip/bring the fader up on the channel sending the DI?

Looks like your Input Level setting in the I/O menu is too high. Your input signal is being clipped, hence the limited look you mentioned. Turn it down until you no longer see flat clipped plateaus in the DI signal. The "tickle the red" method is pretty vague, so looking at the input waveform zoomed in is a more fool proof method to avoid clipping in the input signal.

Back
Top Bottom