How do I get the Axe-Fx II to work properly with Sonar X1?

Spoons

Inspired
I've been using Cakewalk/Sonar for years but I've never ever connected an external device like the Axe-Fx for recording or reamping; I am completely LOST!!! I have my Axe-Fx II connected to the computer via a standard USB device cable and it works just fine with Axe-Edit. I read through pages 1345 and 135 of the Axe-Fx manual and a felt a huge breeze blow over my head.

Here's the basics of what I've got.

Axe-Fx II - Connecting via USB - Windows 7 (64 bit) - Sonar X1 Producer (x64) - Creative SB X-Fi output to an 8 channel mixer and out to the power amp and speakers.

Can anyone help or send me to something that is written in the Axe-Fx/Sonar for dummies level, you know, step by step and written in simple English?

I'm running X3 but should be the same.
Go to Edit/Preferences/Audio/Devices. Uncheck your Creative SB device and check off Axe FX II Asio Driver for in/Out.
Playback and Recording Driver Mode may need to be selected as ASIO first
Then Apply/Ok
Insert a new track
At the bottom of the track bus change I (input) to ASIO Axe FXII Stereo ASIO Driver Input1
Click echo button on your track and play your guitar and you should see the meter go up. (you may get echo'd delay)
when you're ready to record just unclick echo, arm your track to record
hit record
play guitar
hit stop
hit rewind
hit play to listen

re-amping is simple: just create a second track as well and set its input to Axe FX Driver Input 3
arm both tracks to record
record some guitar.
Track 1 will be the effected WYHIWYG track
Track 2 will have dry guitar recorded.

no for the reamping piece.

mute track 1
press i/o on the front of your axe fx and under the audio page change input 1 left select to USB.
press exit

now, press play on sonar and it will playback out usb to the axe fx input. now you can change presets or amps etc while playback is looping.

if you're still stuck, here's a link to my re-amping sonar project you can open (if it will open in X1 for you..?)

Good luck
https://www.dropbox.com/s/18kdragqfpcldpw/re-amping.cwb

Last edited:
I got both the WYHIWYG and the dry guitar recorded. Here is where I got hung up on reamping...

press i/o on the front of your axe fx and under the audio page change input 1 left select to USB.

The only choices I had in the "INPUT 1 LEFT SELECT" were FRONT and REAR; however, when I changed MAIN INPUT SOURCE to USB I could reamp.

Thanks for all the help, you got me what I needed to get through it!!

Back
Top Bottom