How do I get digital output of FX3 into Apollo X4?

There's no need for step 1
This is the reason of my first question: there is any audible/massive improvement with digital outputs (Spdif or USB) over the Analog ones (NOT only within Logic)?

If Digital is far better (NOT only for recording), then for my purposes I can:
  1. Use the Axe-Fx as an audio interface (but I need to plug the studio monitors into the Axe)
  2. Use digital out to digital in on the audio interface (adding extra cables)
If Digital is slightly better or equal (NOT only for recording), then for my purposes I can:
  1. Use analog out (Axe-Fx) to analog in (Apollo) and go for configuration #4 for recording.
When I record within Logic I have no problem and I'm ok with configuration #4.

I think you're maybe misunderstanding configuration #4? Configuration #4 includes Axe-FX analog out to audio interface in. That is for monitoring. That's what you would use in your situation when you're playing along with youtube. It's not an either/or of digital vs analog. Configuration #4 includes both digital and analog. See the "Direct Monitoring" section in the recording guide for details.

That's why there is no need for your step 1. In fact, you don't want to do that because of the latency you'll incur. Comparing the quality of digital vs analog is irrelevant for what you're trying to do.

I think you're maybe misunderstanding configuration #4? Configuration #4 includes Axe-FX analog out to audio interface in. That is for monitoring. That's what you would use in your situation when you're playing along with youtube. It's not an either/or of digital vs analog. Configuration #4 includes both digital and analog. See the "Direct Monitoring" section in the recording guide for details.

That's why there is no need for your step 1. In fact, you don't want to do that because of the latency you'll incur. Comparing the quality of digital vs analog is irrelevant for what you're trying to do.
OK, I see what you mean.
Thank you so much for your patience. I really appreciated.

That's what I was beginning to fear. It's the definite weak link in the chain. Is there a pro grade version of this anywhere? I can't imagine this thing is what is being used by anyone in serious applications of any kind?
This is the same thing I experienced, Its not junk, Its just tricky to get right, Im paying very close attention to this thread so please continue😕

2. Change clock every time you don’t need the axe, but use the Apollo
I run SPDIF from the FX3 to my Apollo Quad. In Console I tell it to convert SR, and I don't have to change any other settings. My Apollo and system are always at 44.1.

I run SPDIF from the FX3 to my Apollo Quad. In Console I tell it to convert SR, and I don't have to change any other settings. My Apollo and system are always at 44.1.
Yes, I found out, but honestly I don’t see any benefits of this routing. I prefer configuration #4 for digital. Less cables, more accurate, more reliable in terms of cable used and I get the full potential of the Apollo when I need it. I see no reason of buying an interface with top level preamp and converters and then…bypass them.

I took GI4th's comment to mean changing the clock source, not the clock rate.

Yes, I found out, but honestly I don’t see any benefits of this routing. I prefer configuration #4 for digital. Less cables, more accurate, more reliable in terms of cable used and I get the full potential of the Apollo when I need it. I see no reason of buying an interface with top level preamp and converters and then…bypass them.
Bypassing them means no coloration. What you put in is what you get out. Also, it keeps my mic pres free for…. mics. And it’s only 1 cable. Couldn’t be easier to use.

Bypassing them means no coloration. What you put in is what you get out. Also, it keeps my mic pres free for…. mics. And it’s only 1 cable. Couldn’t be easier to use.
I recorded analog and digital via UAD and I heard no coloration. I can send you the two files to see if you can guess in a blind test.

3 cables: Spdif, Toslink, converter, power cable of the converter.

I only see convenience if you need to free the mic ins.

I only see convenience if you need to free the mic ins.
This, and I don’t have to dial in any pre amps for my FX3. Just bring up CH 16-17 in Logic and it’s set perfectly. But to each their own.

My 8-yr-old Apollo is dying and I’ve had to look for a replacement. To get what I use (2 mic pres plus SPDIF in/out) I’d have to spend well over $2K on another Apollo. I rarely (if ever) use UA plugs because of the SHARC limitations, so I ordered an Antelope Zen Go. Hopefully it’ll be a good replacement.

Back
Top Bottom