How do I get closer to my real SLO?

My SLO 100 has a significant mid boost on the crunch lead channel with the volume at 6 or above. Anyone else experience the same? The SLO sound to me is before this bump.

My advice? Don't bother trying to nail a real amp on the Axe III. Too many variables. You'll get close, but never 1:1 IMHO. Just accept the Axe III for the brilliant tones it gives you, and continue to love your real amp as well.

My advice? Don't bother trying to nail a real amp on the Axe III. Too many variables. You'll get close, but never 1:1 IMHO. Just accept the Axe III for the brilliant tones it gives you, and continue to love your real amp as well.
You know, my point exactly. This is what I tell everyone. And this doesn't make the Axe any worse.
However, to be completely fair, I think I've narrowed the variables down enough to be able to get to a 1:1 match just like I did with my JP2C. It's just that with the same process the difference is much larger this time.
Getting this match isn't a dealbreaker for me, I'm not going to like my Axe less or god forbid sell it or anything like that. I just want to do it if it's possible and I strongly believe it should be.

You know, my point exactly. This is what I tell everyone. And this doesn't make the Axe any worse.
However, to be completely fair, I think I've narrowed the variables down enough to be able to get to a 1:1 match just like I did with my JP2C. It's just that with the same process the difference is much larger this time.
Getting this match isn't a dealbreaker for me, I'm not going to like my Axe less or god forbid sell it or anything like that. I just want to do it if it's possible and I strongly believe it should be.
There is definitely a fun factor in trying to match amp models. Other than that? Even if the model was just 70 or 80% close, there really should be no difference in a users show or recording experience or whatever.

Have you tried messing with the sag parameter?
Thanks
Pauly

There is definitely a fun factor in trying to match amp models. Other than that? Even if the model was just 70 or 80% close, there really should be no difference in a users show or recording experience or whatever.
Unfortunately in my current case even if the difference in tone or distortion texture is minimal, the difference in "stiffness" or "explosiveness" is the missing 20-30% which totally changes the feel and ultimately also heavily affects the tone.
Have you tried messing with the sag parameter?
Thanks
Pauly
Yes, it unfortunately didn't really get me closer but thanks for the tip.
So far Transfomer Match is the only thing that really got me somewhat closer.

Last edited:
Unfortunately in my current case even if the difference in tone or distortion texture is minimal, the difference in "stiffness" or "explosiveness" is the missing 20-30% which totally changes the feel and ultimately also heavily affects the tone.

Heavily affects? A little different, ok. To me and IMO, it all depends on the mission. If your ultimate goal is to match amp tones to models, then this should really matter. I’d expect Cliff and his team to have this goal. I’d find it odd for anyone else to buy an amp modeler with the ultimate goal of seeing how close it can get to a given amp.
What’s the ultimate goal? Sitting at home and just jamming to YouTube? Surely in 200+ models one can find several great sounds. Gigging? If I bring up that SLO model, it is going to sound like a mic’d SLO. A minor difference changes nothing for the audience. Recording? Had George Lynch used the SLO model instead of an actual SLO on Dokken records, would it really have changed the record?
I’d wager to say amp modelers are for the less particular among us. If a player has to have THAT amp with THAT cab and THAT pedal, well…..they already have it. Play that. If you want at minimum a close approximation to a couple hundred amps, cabs and fx and are willing to make some form factor and a couple tonal compromises, you’re more of a Modeler customer.
I’m pretty sure if we put our SLOs in the same room, we can say which is brighter, which is more flubby and which we’d like better. Why should the model be a dead ringer to any amp other than the reference one?

Here is one thing you can try that worked for me on a Bogner
Output Compression
Select Feedback as the type and start turning it up you should notice it become a bit softer and bouncy for a lack of better word

Master around 4.5
Play with Negetive feedback and sag too once you get the output compression dialed in
The boost in preamp works really well too to give a bit more juice

IRs see important the old SLO I would be going matching cab or GB

Heavily affects? A little different, ok. To me and IMO, it all depends on the mission. If your ultimate goal is to match amp tones to models, then this should really matter. I’d expect Cliff and his team to have this goal. I’d find it odd for anyone else to buy an amp modeler with the ultimate goal of seeing how close it can get to a given amp.
What’s the ultimate goal? Sitting at home and just jamming to YouTube? Surely in 200+ models one can find several great sounds. Gigging? If I bring up that SLO model, it is going to sound like a mic’d SLO. A minor difference changes nothing for the audience. Recording? Had George Lynch used the SLO model instead of an actual SLO on Dokken records, would it really have changed the record?
I’d wager to say amp modelers are for the less particular among us. If a player has to have THAT amp with THAT cab and THAT pedal, well…..they already have it. Play that. If you want at minimum a close approximation to a couple hundred amps, cabs and fx and are willing to make some form factor and a couple tonal compromises, you’re more of a Modeler customer.
I’m pretty sure if we put our SLOs in the same room, we can say which is brighter, which is more flubby and which we’d like better. Why should the model be a dead ringer to any amp other than the reference one?
Let me put it simply.
No matter how much I tweak the SLO in the Axe there's something about the real deal that works better for me. It's not necessarily a tonal difference in the straight sense that it has more highs or less lows or more gain. It's more of a dynamics and openness thing - I can't really put it into words well but the amp feels and sounds more reactive, explosive, less rounded,and definitely much more aggressive.
Of course I'm playing the crap out of it because I'm enjoying it very much. However, since the Axe is pretty much a do-it-all device, I'd be really happy to be able to reproduce that inside the box. Apart from the obvious advantages of not consuming tubes and running a less complicated signal path there's also the fact that I'd much rather turn the Axe on for a 30 minute practice than the head. I'd certainly play the Axe more if could get 90-99% of the way there. But unfortunately I haven't found the setting or cominbation of settings that get me there, yet.
Here is one thing you can try that worked for me on a Bogner
Output Compression
Select Feedback as the type and start turning it up you should notice it become a bit softer and bouncy for a lack of better word

Master around 4.5
Play with Negetive feedback and sag too once you get the output compression dialed in
The boost in preamp works really well too to give a bit more juice

IRs see important the old SLO I would be going matching cab or GB
Thanks, I'll check these ideas out. Like I explained in my original post, I'm running into the same IRs with both the head and the Axe model and I also took care with choosing the same impedance curve (the LB-2s curve) to make sure I'm simulating the real life circumstances as closely as possible.

Let me put it simply.
No matter how much I tweak the SLO in the Axe there's something about the real deal that works better for me. It's not necessarily a tonal difference in the straight sense that it has more highs or less lows or more gain. It's more of a dynamics and openness thing - I can't really put it into words well but the amp feels and sounds more reactive, explosive, less rounded,and definitely much more aggressive.
Of course I'm playing the crap out of it because I'm enjoying it very much. However, since the Axe is pretty much a do-it-all device, I'd be really happy to be able to reproduce that inside the box. Apart from the obvious advantages of not consuming tubes and running a less complicated signal path there's also the fact that I'd much rather turn the Axe on for a 30 minute practice than the head. I'd certainly play the Axe more if could get 90-99% of the way there. But unfortunately I haven't found the setting or cominbation of settings that get me there, yet.

Thanks, I'll check these ideas out. Like I explained in my original post, I'm running into the same IRs with both the head and the Axe model and I also took care with choosing the same impedance curve (the LB-2s curve) to make sure I'm simulating the real life circumstances as closely as possible.
Can you post a clip of the Axe and the SLO through the LB2 I know Justin uses that model a lot and gets some great tones he may have some tips
@York Audio

Transformer match and MV location (post vs pre pi) can give more nastiness/rawness. I also turn up the grid bias significantly on a lot of amps as this gives a hotter more alive distortion and increase bias excursion to change distortion texture. As also said, tone matching can really help with the fine grain eq texture that accentuated specific frequencies that can make an amp seem rougher/rawer or nastier, really hard to isolate those specific frequencies by ear without using tone match or ozone, etc to see the eq differences (peaks/nulls). Using these tricks I'll be very surprised if you can nail it.

look around and spot where your SLO is in the room, take couple of steps towards it…now you are closer to your SLO

(🤢🫣i swear my playing, and tone is better than my jokes….thx to axe fx)

look around and spot where your SLO is in the room, take couple of steps towards it…now you are closer to your SLO

(🤢🫣i swear my playing, and tone is better than my jokes….thx to axe fx)
What is the longest delay time in the AxeFX? Because on this forum, it is close to 24 hours long.

I am convinced when I simply have my Engl Ironball SE on my desk, not even on, if guitar minded viewers of my social media see a guitar video, they like those videos the most, even though I am using the Axe FX actually.

"dang that tone was great man, that was the Ironball right?"

Oh no that was the Skullcrusher model in the Axe.

"oh..... why don't you do more videos with the Ironball?"

Back
Top Bottom