How do I get a little more “Thump” from the OwnHammer IR’s … ?

R.D.

Power User
I’m currently doing a variation of Yek’s OwnHammer mix ….

SM7 # 2 ( or e906 #2 )
FatHead # 4

I like the SM7 much better than the SM-57 ( less fizz ), and I am matching it with the FatHead because it has the strongest bass ….

As I understand OwnHammer’s IR’s …, # 1 would be the brightest and # 5 the darkest ….

This combination still isn’t getting me quite enough Cab Thump for my liking ….

Any thoughts … ?

Last edited:
Yeah ..., I tried that .... It just seems to muddy it up a bit ....

I'm looking for more of the Cabinet "knock" ..., rather than the Amp tone ....

But THANKS anyway.

What happens if you boost 80-100Hz with an EQ? You may have to use another cabinet that doesn't have all the lows carved out. You could run it in parallel with a low pass filter after it. Adjust the output of the second cab to taste.

Did you try raising the resonant frequency in the advanced amp block page to around 110 or so?

@ jakel …,

I definitely get more “lows”, but everything loosens up too ( not in a good way ) !

@ RDH …,

Yup …, already did that !

@ DieSchmalle …,

I just tried that …, same as above – I get more lows, but it gets real muddy and loose ….

THANKS for all the suggestions though, I do appreciate it !

Sounds like you don't necessarily want more bass content, but want the bass region to 'pump-and-breathe', which would be a result of compression not necessarily the IR choice or over doing the EQ. The FatHead mixed with another mic would definitely give you plenty. I'd say mess around with the multiband compressor to see if you can get it to pump on the low frequencies. May help with what you're after?

You could try a PEQ with blocking filter around 120hz and then boost around 100hz with a high Q + 2-3dbs.

Spence

You could try a PEQ with blocking filter around 120hz and then boost around 100hz with a high Q + 2-3dbs.

Xpen ...,

THANKS for the suggestion ! I settled on using a Filter as a LowShelf ....

Gain -12.0
Freq 100
Q 1.20

It seems to cut out all the low end rumble, but tighting up the "Q" does give a slight lift to the bass right before the roll-off ....

It's not perfect, but it's better ....

BTW - What the H3!! does the Roffs control do ? I tweaked it to the min and max, but evidently I'm so deaf I can't hear any difference ... ?

Roffs=right channel offset.in other words,you can make the right channel dry w/out the filter effect,while the left side still gets effected.if that makes sense:)it's cool if you run stereo w 2 cabs and only one of the cabs needs a filter type but the other doesn't.i generaly don't mess with it.

ROFFS changes the right channel filter freq. From manual:

ROFFS - Sets the right channel frequency offset as a multiple of the left channel. A setting of 0.5, for example, would set the right channel frequency to half the left.

yes,that's it.what Bakerman said.

the forum has improved dramaticaly.on the older forum,a question like that would of set off a chorus of "RTFM!!!"

Back
Top Bottom