How do I connect to just the power section of my amp?

jerjabs

Hi, I have a 100w head that I'd like to use to power an old 1974 4x12. Because I want to bypass the amps preamp section and just use the power tubes, do I connect this way:

Guitar into AX8 1/4" input . Then, 1/4" AX8 send into amps effects loop return?

Just two cables needed or do I need to employ the AX8's entire effects loop with both send and returns?

Thanks!

^^^
Beat me to it.

Yes, page 16, 17, 79, 85 to get a better understanding of this option and the overall functions of the I/O.

So using the OP's scenario, you would create the FX effects loop block and then plug in from Output 2. You wouldn't just remove the cab block?

So using the OP's scenario, you would create the FX effects loop block and then plug in from Output 2. You wouldn't just remove the cab block?

You can do that. You can also turn off the power amp modeling from the I/O. A couple different scenarios to experiment with to find the best option for the end user.

At practice I just plug into the FX loop of a JCM 800. It sounds good so I don't turn anything off (amp or cab model). But of course there can be big difference in sound/tone depending on the amp power section and most important, the user.

For a gig, I normally just go to FOH with a monitor feed.

I'm not 100% sure. It "seems" simple in context to some here.... but I'm still a bit baffled. At first it seemed like I was on point... but then things got convoluted with "echo outputs" etc. At this point I'm still trying to figure out what output I use on the AX8 to send the signal to my head's effects return. Confused if I use Main FX Send or Main Output L. The fact that I'm mildly dyslexic makes reading tech manuals all the more..... interesting.

You can use Output 1 or Output 2. Having to two outputs gives the option to send to one to FOH and one to a FRFR or amp/cab and have separate volume controls.

If you are not worried about pre / post effects, go from output 1 or 2 into the FX return of the amp. Or use the four cable method for pre / post effects.

upload_2018-8-13_16-8-16-png.49016

are you connecting Out 1 to a mixer or PA? those directions come from the page titled "Direct + Real amp & cabs." is that what you're doing?

if you aren't, then the page titled "Setup: Power Amp & Guitar Speakers" is what to follow to connect your AX8 to a power amp and guitar speakers.

follow the instructions on the page that describes what you're doing. if you aren't doing Direct + Real Amp, then don't follow those instructions.

Ok.... it appears that my time in college wasn't enough for me to get what seems to be a simple issue for others. Let me start over.

I want to plug my guitar into the instrument input of my AX8.

I want to have one mono 1/4" guitar cable exiting the AX8 and go into the effects loop of my Marshall return Jack.

I want to then play something on my guitar and hear something out of the amp.

Thus far I've been unable to do so. I have read the manual and I'm still unable to generate any sound from the AX8 into my Marshall. The Marshall's effects loop works with any pedal I've tried so I know it's not at fault.

Can someone literally hold my hand thru this process using the most dumbed down academic language possible. I have tried exiting the AX8 via the two outputs seen in the image. Do I need to have a FXLOOP block in my preset?

Sorry.... have mercy and me and lend a hand if you can.
20180818_211610_resized.jpg

Connect the OUT 1 [MAIN] to the Effects return of your amp. Make sure the effects loop of the amp is turned on. No need to use OUT 2 [FX SEND] if OUT 1 is not being used. Seems like this is where the confusion began.

Last edited:
If you still have a problem getting any sound, plug the AX8 OUT 1 [MAIN] into the instrument input of the amp and see if that works.

Ok.... it appears that my time in college wasn't enough for me to get what seems to be a simple issue for others. Let me start over.

I want to plug my guitar into the instrument input of my AX8.

I want to have one mono 1/4" guitar cable exiting the AX8 and go into the effects loop of my Marshall return Jack.

I want to then play something on my guitar and hear something out of the amp.

Thus far I've been unable to do so. I have read the manual and I'm still unable to generate any sound from the AX8 into my Marshall. The Marshall's effects loop works with any pedal I've tried so I know it's not at fault.

Can someone literally hold my hand thru this process using the most dumbed down academic language possible. I have tried exiting the AX8 via the two outputs seen in the image. Do I need to have a FXLOOP block in my preset?

Sorry.... have mercy and me and lend a hand if you can.
View attachment 49109

To get sound you just need to connect out 1 Left (as per the arrow on your photo), into the Amps FX return using a guitar cable. If you have no sound I suspect the reason is this; some FX loops do not work with nothing plugged into the send jack. This is because it has a switching socket that activates the loop only when something is plugged in. If this is the case than you need to put a dummy plug into the Amps FX send socket to activate the loop. To try this is as simple as plugging one end of a patch lead into the send socket. Don't plug the other end into anything. Now do you have sound when plugging Out 1 from the AX8 into the Amps FX return?

Oh, and not relevant to this discussion, but looking at your photo, you seem to have something stuck inside your Out 1 right XLR socket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom