How do I change the input levels when recording? (Reaper)

X14Halo

Inspired
In Reaper, I was told that it is best to have my signal tickling the reds. It is not quite there so I am trying to raise it but I cannot figure out how. I tried turning up the amp volume, as well as turning up the output levels on the front of the axefx but it is not changing the signal level at all in Reaper. How do I do this?

In Reaper, I was told that it is best to have my signal tickling the reds. It is not quite there so I am trying to raise it but I cannot figure out how. I tried turning up the amp volume, as well as turning up the output levels on the front of the axefx but it is not changing the signal level at all in Reaper. How do I do this?

If you turn up the level in the amp block (NOT master volume) it should increase the signal to Reaper. It does for me in Cubase anyway.

Personally, I don't see the point. I don't like recording too hot of a signal when tracking. I prefer leaving headroom in case I apply other inserts to the track later on. Worst case, you usually can add volume (gain) to an audio clip later in the DAW if you really need it.

Are you recording via USB? Is this with the processed or unprocessed (clean, direct from guitar) signal?

I am recording a DI via USB. I am just messing around with re-amping using EZMix2, and I feel like my guitar doesn't have very good quality sound when re-amping. Just wondering if it might have to do with the input level.

There's no way to change the level of the DI (USB 3/4) signal from the Axe-FX. It's meant to match the original guitar output level if you send it back to the Axe-FX unchanged digitally. The level probably isn't causing the sound quality issues you're noticing.

Actually there is a way, I did this in Pro Tools. Create a track and use it as a kind of "master input track", in this case the input would be input 3 from the Axe (to get the di signal), the output would be any bus, let's say bus 1. You don't use this track to record, you only use it to route the signal to other tracks. So the other tracks (the ones that you actually use for recording) would have their input set to bus 1. Now you can use the fader of the "master input track" to control the level of the di signal that is sent to the recorded track.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk 4

Back
Top Bottom