How do I adjust the SPDIF output level?

Jason Scott

Fractal Fanatic
I'm connecting via SPDIF, and the volume is notably lower compared to the Axe FX II. Is there a way to control it / turn it up globally?

No adjusting spdif directly possible, you'll have to adjust the level in your preset. I always have to turn up the output volume to have some good level in my DAW.

No adjusting spdif directly possible, you'll have to adjust the level in your preset. I always have to turn up the output volume to have some good level in my DAW.

Cant this be done by setting a certain output for S/Pdif under I/O Settings tab?

I am far far away from my Axe, so not able to check.

I use the software mixer on my audio interface to mix the SPDIF signal from the AxFX and any other sound source from my PC (DAW, YouTube, Media player , iTunes etc). I first set the output level on my powered monitors to be a little too loud and use the software mixer to get a good mix. Then I use the software mixers master out as an over all master volume control.

It doesn’t make sense to have a level adjustment on digital output. One of the advantages of digital is that the level is absolute. You design your preset to have an appropriate output level and it will henceforth be good regardless of context. After you record it of course you can adjust the level in the mix, but you don’t want to muck with the recorded level.

Yes easy to do if your running a DAW
or have a dedicated software mixer controling you interface
Apollo twin offers console 2
in the I/O I just added a new path (like in protools) choose 2 virtual ins and renamed the spdif L-R
so in stand alone mode using fractal edit I adjust the console 2 spdif fader to “tickle the red”
and in any of my DAWs PTs, Studio One or Ableton I just choose that path as my input for recording
and it frees up both rear combo inputs as well as my 1/4 balanced instrument hi Z input

Back
Top Bottom