How did FAS Intend us to hear the models?

damcka

Extremely Stupid Question Time.

I was driving home thinking about how great I can get my Axe FX 2 to sound through headphones with minimal tweaking and how much of a struggle I have to get it to sound as good in a live FRFR situation (either going direct to FOH, or using my matrix and FR212).

..now the stupid question.

Has anyone actually ever asked the manufacturers of guitar modelling equipment how the sounds they have modelled are intended to be heard in order to "faithfully recreate" the actual amp?
For example, i understand that the models are supposed to simulate the behaviour of the hardware within the actual amp under different conditions (e.g. volume, gain, extreme EQ and so on).

However, if I want to hear exactly what the guys at FAS intended me to hear from a particular amp model under specific conditions, then under what Axe FX volume conditions should I be listening? (e.g. What should output 1 knob be set to, and what should the "output" of the amp block be set to in order - should it be monitored at gig volume, or through headphones).

I ask the question, because there is the obvious Fletcher Munson effect to consider at different volumes. I know this is why patches that sound great in headphones, sound horrible at gig volume through a PA. But what is the more "true" situation? For arguments sake, if headphone volume is accurate to the real amp tone then presumably some fairly wild EQ will need to be applied to the model when played at gig volume to replicate the sound of the amp played at the same volume loud volume.

So.. at what volume does the Axe FX 2 faithfully recreate the sound of the simulated amp with the knobs on the amp at the same settings?

......or do i just have a long drive home from work with too much time to think! :)

So.. at what volume does the Axe FX 2 faithfully recreate the sound of the simulated amp with the knobs on the amp at the same settings?

At all volumes. It's the accurate representation of an amp into a cab, when the cab has been isolated, mic'd, and then is heard back through monitors. Fletcher and Munson don't play favorites - dialing in a real amp through headphones would give you just as much grief.

It's like plugging into a recording studio that has the amp and cab miced up. If you play that sound through crappy speakers it will sound like the real amp in a studio through crappy speakers.

Back
Top Bottom