Re: How can i use the editor and my controller at the same t

moltisanti said:
samhill said:
iaresee said:
I run a MIDI loop and it works fine:

UM-1G MIDI Out -> Rocktron All Access MIDI In
Rocktron All Access MIDI Out -> AxeFx MIDI In
AxeFx MIDI OUT -> UM-1G MIDI In

Just saying the merge box isn't always required. Depends on your pedal.

This scenario didn't work with the GCP, so I bought the Midi Merger, now it works fine :)

Mark

Mark does the merge box still allow you to send power to the GCP via the 7 pin cable (assuming you're doing this and not using a PSU) ?

Thanks

Rik

No, the Merge box is 5 pin. You have to use the wall wart and pulg it into the GCP for power. The power from the GCP will then provide power to the MIDI Merge box through the 5 pin cable.

so there's no way of running Axe Edit, and the GCP powered via MIDI at the same time ?

For 2 way communication (those of us with LF's and Gordiuses), a MOTU Micro Express is the only way to go :mrgreen:

moltisanti said:
so there's no way of running Axe Edit, and the GCP powered via MIDI at the same time ?

My understanding is no, there is no way to run them together and power the GCP via MIDI.

ok that's good news :D

I have a midisport 2x2 anniversary en route to me, i'll get that working then look into the midi merge.

So to clarify you use the 7 pin cable from the GCP into the merge and then a second 7 pin from the merge to the axe fx ?

or do i only need 1 7 pin cable ?

I don't really want to use the GCP and Axe Edit simultaneously, i just want to have it all cabled up ready so i don't have to mess about when I want to edit a patch.

wauwter said:
My understanding is yes! ;)

Check this topic: http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewt ... 23&t=14217

This works fine for me.

That is the tread where I found the diagram that helped me out. What it doesn't really show is where the power for the GCP is coming from. I have basically this same thing hooked up but had to use the wall wart to put power to the GCP which then supplies power to the MIDI Merge box.

Are you saying that you plugged the power supply from your GCP into the back of your Axe and then hooked this up the way you have it in your diagram and it powers the GCP and the MIDI Merge box?

moltisanti said:
ok that's good news :D

I have a midisport 2x2 anniversary en route to me, i'll get that working then look into the midi merge.

So to clarify you use the 7 pin cable from the GCP into the merge and then a second 7 pin from the merge to the axe fx ?

or do i only need 1 7 pin cable ?

I don't really want to use the GCP and Axe Edit simultaneously, i just want to have it all cabled up ready so i don't have to mess about when I want to edit a patch.

This sounds like the road I started down before I finally figured it all out. The problem is that the 2x2 and the MIDI Merge box are both 5 pin MIDI only. There really is no way to get the power to the GCP in this loop since the power is deliverd on pins 6 and 7.

I would love to be wrong on this and am hoping that wauwter has more information for us that proves me wrong. I went through quite the ordeal figuring this all out.

wauwter said:
My understanding is yes! ;)

Check this topic: http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewt ... 23&t=14217

This works fine for me.

Ok, I see what I missed in the diagram. You have a special cable to be able to run into the GCP with a 7 pin and then it has a 5 pin on the other end with the plug to go into the back of the Axe for phantom power. Now I see how that can work. I didn't even know that cable existed.

EDIT: Just looked at the cable again. Looks like you have to plug the power supply for the GCP into it since it doesn't have the correct gender to plug into the Axe. I wonder if they make a gender changer for these?

JasonE said:
EDIT: Just looked at the cable again. Looks like you have to plug the power supply for the GCP into it since it doesn't have the correct gender to plug into the Axe. I wonder if they make a gender changer for these?

JasonE said:

Well... the Axe fx does not generate power by itself. So you always need the power supply of the GCP for the power. Even if you should plug in a 7 pin midi cable into the Axe fx you also have to connect you GCP power supply to the Axe fx too.

In this case you'll have to do the following:

- Between the Axe fx (midi in) and the merger (midi out) you connect a normal 5 pin midi cable.

- To the inputs of the merger you connect your midi interface to one of the inputs and the Rocktron 5-7 pin to the other (5 pin side).

- On the 5 pin side of the Rocktron cable you'll find the gender to plug in the power supply of the GCP.

- Now connect the 7 pin side to the GCP and you're done!

iaresee said:
Yea, your pedal has to have MIDI Thru capabilities for this to work without the merge box. Not sure if the GCP has that.
GCP filters out sysex messages: CLICK HERE.

Back
Top Bottom