How can i use the editor and my controller at the same time

jeffdenny

i would love to be able to use my controller and the axe fx editor at the same time, is there a way to accomplish this
peace jeff

Re: How can i use the editor and my controller at the same t

Which controller are you using?

i am using either the rocktron axe exchange or the midimate

I don't know what the "rocktron axe exchange" is but for the MidiMate only has MIDI out on it so you can't (easily) make a MIDI loop with it. You'll need a MIDI merge box that merges the MIDI I/O from your computer running Axe-Edit with the MIDI from the MidiMate and funnels it in to the AxeFx. Something like this:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqmr.htm

Computer MIDI out -> Quadra IN1
MidiMate -> Quadra IN2
Quadra Out -> AxeFx MIDI In
AxeFx MIDI Out -> Computer MIDI in

The midi solutions box stopped working for me-I use a midi mate controller-I am using a midiman merge-I like it because it's powered(if you want to, and I do)
Either will work-my midisolutions merge was just old I think

i think i will go with the M Audio MIDISPORT 2x2 Anniversary USB Midi Interface
thanks for all your help guys
peace jeff

jeffdenny said:
peace jeff

I have the 2x2, and I still can't use the controller and editor "at the same time". I have to toggle the switch on the midisport: usb/merge for the editor and midi thru for the controller.

fuzznut said:
jeffdenny said:
peace jeff

I have the 2x2, and I still can't use the controller and editor "at the same time". I have to toggle the switch on the midisport: usb/merge for the editor and midi thru for the controller.
Is there software you could use to do the merge? So you'd have it take MIDI coming in from the pedal on the MIDISport and you'd connect the Axe-Fx to it instead of the MIDISport and it's merge their signals on to the MIDISport output?

fuzznut said:
jeffdenny said:
peace jeff

I have the Midisport 2x2 and the Midi mate. I dont mind not being able to do it at the same time. How do I connect? :cool:

i am just finding this out now
lol back to the guitar center

okay in order for that to work i pluged my (Controller) axe exchange into the midisport and the axe-fx midi in and midi out into the controller so when i hit the merge button the pedal works and when i take it off i can edit the axe fx .............................................................is there another way

okay folks i now have the quadra midimerge and the midimate and its not working is there something you have to do to the axe fx to get it to work

I just hooked up my Midi Solutions Midi Merger with my MacBook Pro, Edirol UM-1 and my GCP...everything works YEAH!!!!!

Mark

I had the same question as the OP. I did some searching on the forum and found that there is a post out there that has a picture diagram that someone put together that shows it perfectly. The piece I was missing was the MIDI Merge box. I bought one of those and it showed up yesterday. I am using that with the MIDISport UNO and it all works perfectly. It is very nice to be able to adjust the patch with my laptop and then immediately test the foot controller.

I don't have the link on hand to the post that is out there. Some searching should be albe to turn it up though. Just scroll through the posts and look for the picture.

I run a MIDI loop and it works fine:

UM-1G MIDI Out -> Rocktron All Access MIDI In
Rocktron All Access MIDI Out -> AxeFx MIDI In
AxeFx MIDI OUT -> UM-1G MIDI In

Just saying the merge box isn't always required. Depends on your pedal.

iaresee said:

This scenario didn't work with the GCP, so I bought the Midi Merger, now it works fine :)

Mark

iaresee said:

I also use the GCP and the MIDI loop didn't work for me either. The MIDI Merge box resolved the issue.

I have not played with MIDI much but from what I have experienced so far, it is hit or miss. It doesn't seem like the same hardware and connections work for everyone. I read a lot of negative posts on the MIDISport UNO and how it didn't work for anyone. I can't tell you how surprised I was when mine worked. I had gone out and bought a MIDISport 2x2 on the recommendation of someone else and it worked too but not to get both the PC and foot controller working at the same time. I had issues getting the 2x2 up and running and that was when I decided to try the UNO since I already had it. I was happily surprised when it worked better than the 2x2. I returned the 2x2 since it was not needed and ordered the MIDI Merge, which resolved the issue for me.

Yea, your pedal has to have MIDI Thru capabilities for this to work without the merge box. Not sure if the GCP has that.

samhill said:
iaresee said:

This scenario didn't work with the GCP, so I bought the Midi Merger, now it works fine :)

Mark

Mark does the merge box still allow you to send power to the GCP via the 7 pin cable (assuming you're doing this and not using a PSU) ?

Thanks

Rik

Back
Top Bottom