How can I program the Phaser block to sound like this?

Bring the Bulb bias down a bit. It’s on the second page of the Vibe.. I think it’s default is at 4.. bring it down to around 3 maybe 2.5. You can also up the depth if you want and mess around with your frequency spreads, (Start & Span) . *Thats over to the right hand side/bottom, on the first tab on vibe page in AxeEdit.*
For the most part the whoosh is in the Bulb setting. Try 2.5 on the bulb and 10 on the depth.

Last edited:
Yes, I bring down the Bulb Bias. That helps to get closer to this. I usually run it at 2.3. I increase the Depth to 7 and the Frequency Span to 3. Yo may like more extreme settings. Experiment!

I would love to see @FractalAudio turn his attention to the UniVibe and develop a proper UniVibe block. The Vibe mode in the phaser block isn't bad, but something is definitely missing... hard to describe what, but it just doesn't have the same thick, chewy, creamy, throb that you get with a great vibe pedal. But what we've got is good and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining!

That 69 Vibe sounds really good!

Yes, I bring down the Bulb Bias. That helps to get closer to this. I usually run it at 2.3. I increase the Depth to 7 and the Frequency Span to 3. Yo may like more extreme settings. Experiment!

I would love to see @FractalAudio turn his attention to the UniVibe and develop a proper UniVibe block. The Vibe mode in the phaser block isn't bad, but something is definitely missing... hard to describe what, but it just doesn't have the same thick, chewy, creamy, throb that you get with a great vibe pedal. But what we've got is good and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining!

That 69 Vibe sounds really good!
Yeah, I can’t say I don’t disagree, my more extreme settings are most likely born out of feeling like it’s missing that little bit of magic moreso than actually wanting than deep of an effect. I was just messing around with it, & I’m no expert on how all the inner workings work & what exactly is being manipulated to the signal but I started experimenting with the Order & found the switching from the default 4 to 8 also seemed to help. Give that a shot & let me know what ya think? FWIW I also bring down the Freq start to 260Hz just to get a tad more body to it. That doesn’t really make a huge difference though.

Lower the input impedance and make sure you don’t have anything between your guitar and the front input except for a cable. Helps give that classic vibe pedal sound, a lot warmer and lusher

Search for a preset I shared based on the RM Axis fuzz, one of the scenes has a nice (imo) vibe sound

Good enough, again IMO, that I sold my Jam Retrovibe and Drybell vibes

Lower the input impedance and make sure you don’t have anything between your guitar and the front input except for a cable. Helps give that classic vibe pedal sound, a lot warmer and lusher

So, you put the Vibe before the Drive block? I have it after the drive in my presets. Guess I'll try switching it to see which I like better. Seems to me that I had it before the drive on the AX8, but I have it after on the AxeIII.

Lowering the input impedance does help too. But the throb seems to even and predictable in the AxeIII vibe. It's missing some of the randomness character that I associate with a really great Vibe unit.

So, you put the Vibe before the Drive block? I have it after the drive in my presets. Guess I'll try switching it to see which I like better. Seems to me that I had it before the drive on the AX8, but I have it after on the AxeIII.

Lowering the input impedance does help too. But the throb seems to even and predictable in the AxeIII vibe. It's missing some of the randomness character that I associate with a really great Vibe unit.
Yeah, I always have the vibe before drive.

You can change the waveform for the LFO, I forget as I’m not at my unit, but I think I change mine to log. I think it defaults to a sine wave which is by nature rather symmetrical. I

"You need it before the amp if you want the bump." source

That also applies to the position of the vibe with a Drive block.

"You need it before the amp if you want the bump." source

That also applies to the position of the vibe with a Drive block.

Honestly, listening with headphones before the drive or after the drive is not radically different. Both sound good. A little more pronounced before the drive. I would never put it after the amp.

The effect was classically used before the amp because that was really the only spot to put on amps that didn’t have effects loops.

What was variable was the vibe before or after a drive and/wah. It was a non true bypass effect and even when off it really colored the tone. Likewise, fuzz pedals sounded different before or after it, as did the vibe effect. Also throw in the effect of a wah pedal whose placement also varied; lots of different possible tones.

Hendrix often changed his pedal order around, fuzz first, whammy first, vibe before or after fuzz.

Have to just experiment a bit and see what gives the tone your after. Really easy with multiple blocks and scenes, you can swap order with press of a switch which sure beats plugging and unplugging hardware.

I move it around per preset, sometimes first, sometimes after other effects, just wherever it sounds “right”

Wow cool vid, I haven't listened to any Hendrix songs in a long time, covers or authentic. Bring back the 13 minute songs! lol.

Here is how a Univibe should sound.

This is subjective of course. I've always loved Robin Trower's vibe sound, somewhat more pronounced than Hendrix but similar in style.

I haven't yet been able to dial in a Trower vibe in my AxeIII yet that I like. so for now I'm sticking to this. If Cliff ever decides (or gets time hehe) I'd love to see this vibe modeled. Phil Taylor (founder of Effectrode) has the same type of mindset as Cliff in the pursuit of no compromise excellence.

Last edited:
Maybe it's my imagination but after the modulation improvements that came with fw 3.0, I do like the sound of the phaser block better but I can't get it to sound as intense as it previously was. Like the wet mix was higher before?

Trower I feel like I could have a pint with and nice conversation. Dont know if I could keep up with Jimi....

That said, it’s Jimi and whatever happened would probably make for some great stories so would jump at the chance.

Musically really like them both, but there is only one Hendrix.

As said, I have a real one I bought in 1969 when they first appeared on the market. I compared it directly with my vintage Univibe in the Axe FXIII and it is almost identical. The only difference is that my real Univibe has a slight midrange bump, and slight volume bump. Randy Hansen's Univibe sound in the video I posted earlier sounds just like my vintage Univibe. Robin Trower uses a Fulltone now. I also have the same model Fulltone Robin uses. The Fulltone sounds great and real close to the original Univibe, but not exact. It also lacks the slight midrange bump and volume boost.

Here is how a Univibe should sound. I have a real one I bought in 1969. The Univibe in the Axe FXIII sounds good. I put it before the amp.

Lmao, that could be one of the most accurate covers I’ve ever seen of any song ever. BoG none the less. Fantastically fantastic.

So, you CAN say that you do disagree?

Which means you don't agree?

That was a circuitous exercise in grammar that I think meant to say "I agree", but seems to say the opposite ;)
I should have been more clear:
100% of the time, I agree with that statement 0% of the time. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom