How can I make my spillover smoother (video)?

JazzMac251

Inspired
Last weekend I had a recording session with an original artist I play with. We were recording a series of live videos that will be released soon. Her stuff requires a lot of ambient guitar sounds, so there's quite a bit of delay and reverb going on.

Up to now, I've used a different preset in the Axe for each unique sound in a tune. Sometimes for each section (into, verse, chorus etc). This allows me to stay very organized as far as grouping all my presets together and keeping organized both in the Axe and on my for controller (Liquid Foot 12+).

However, as you can hear in a couple places in the video, sometimes i work my way into a corner and my spillover ends up not happening. This is because I was using the Multi-delay block, which doesn't support spillover across presets.

I know people are using scenes to make that happen, but I'm worried and integrating that into my setup. That will essentially add another layer of complexity onto the act of switching and managing presets. Does the verse going into the chorus require a preset change or simply a scene change? If it's a scene change, how do I make sure that I trigger that scene change on, say, the verse going into the chorus and NOT the bridge going into the last chorus and how do I prevent myself from changing scenes on the wrong preset if I'm trying to correct a mistake mid-song?

It would be ideal if each song could work off of a single corresponding preset, but that just doesn't work. First, that's extremely limiting in terms of the signal routing and processing capabilities for one song. Second, switching long delays from X to Y on the same block still produces screeches and warbles if the delay time is altered. Not good.

I'm open to suggestions since people don't seem to have as many issues with this as I do.

Music Meets Video

Also, shameless plug alert, this particular video is a cover of a Lucius song and it was created for the purposes of submitting to this competition. If you like what you hear, please vote for us! You do have to register to vote, but they won't send you any email or anything (especially if you uncheck the newsletter option). You can also register with Facebook, which takes literally 1 click. You can vote for us up to 22 times a day. Show a little love to a fellow fractalite :)

You need to take some screenshots in AxeEdit that show us how you have your blocks laid out on the routing grid for the various presets you're using. Then we can see what you're doing and suggest some options. Beyond Scenes, and X/Y, there is also assignment of parameters to IA switches and expression pedals. This is real nuts and bolts stuff, but without seeing your layouts, and knowing what you need to do to get from point A to point B to point C in terms of tone changes and effects used, it's hard to say.

I'll answer one of your questions. I'm running a liquid foot Jr+. I have the bottom row for presets and 3 of the top switches for scene 1, 2 & 3. This gives me the option of switching presets like you currently do or switching scenes within which ever preset is currently active....does this make sense? BTW, I'm running the LF in set list mode.

Planning. What you need is planning.

hahaha you ain't lyin'...

You need to take some screenshots in AxeEdit that show us how you have your blocks laid out on the routing grid for the various presets you're using. Then we can see what you're doing and suggest some options. Beyond Scenes, and X/Y, there is also assignment of parameters to IA switches and expression pedals. This is real nuts and bolts stuff, but without seeing your layouts, and knowing what you need to do to get from point A to point B to point C in terms of tone changes and effects used, it's hard to say.

Thanks for coming over from the FX8 thread! :) I was going to mention this post over there too, but you beat me to it.

As far as screenshots of my presets, I'll have to upload those in a bit. I'm at my teaching gig now and I don't have my Axe with me. I think I may just be screwed, though. I already do an extensive amount of programming with external controllers assigned to IAs and expression pedals etc. I'm just trying to keep my system as intuitive and simple as possible.

I think if I start mixing buttons for scene swap commands with buttons that are for preset commands things are gonna get nuts. I'm going to be locked down to a specific button sequence (or the button will change scenes on the wrong preset with potentially disastrous consequences), and the that's not even taking into account the fact that the delay blocks will freak out when changing from X to Y. I was really hoping there was a nut or bolt that I had overlooked :(

I'll answer one of your questions. I'm running a liquid foot Jr+. I have the bottom row for presets and 3 of the top switches for scene 1, 2 & 3. This gives me the option of switching presets like you currently do or switching scenes within which ever preset is currently active....does this make sense? BTW, I'm running the LF in set list mode.

That does make sense, but I'm worried about the potential for error when spread across 30 some-odd presets. Some of them I may be able to pair down into a simpler signal chain that can encompass the entire song (in which case it would make sense to use scene changes), but I know I can't do that for all of them. Having some songs that change presets from left to right as the song progresses and some songs that require scene changes instead (and must be triggered in the proper order) is a recipe for disaster, I think. Through some tricky LF 12+ programming, I've at least programmed my presets such that they can be triggered out of order and nothing too terrible happens.

On top of that, I'm going to be using the new Revebs extensively, so I can see running out of CPU processing power pretty quickly.

ahhh. I understand now. Considering how deep you're into your programming your setup, yeah, sounds like a tough row to hoe no matter what you do. I agree, preset spillover is a real pain in the butt, and I've avoided it like the plague. Would still like to see what you're up to with your presets and routings if you get the chance.

Complex patches and spillover unfortunately are at opposite ends of the spectrum. You've usually got to give up one to get the other, unless you are willing to invest in a second Axe unit.

Jazz,
I understand your concerns, but I don't think it will be that bad. I'm currently running 5 setlists w/ 15 songs per setlist. I use several of the same Axe presets in several different songs. When I need a tweaked version of that preset, I can use scenes OR make a copy of that preset and rename it. The LF+ gives you sooooooooo many programing possibilities (so does the axe for that matter) that it's easy to get overwhelmed. The best advice I received when I first bought my LF+ was to write down what I wanted the pedal to do on PAPER first. This saved my a TON of problems as I realized that what I wanted to do could actually be programed much simpler than I first thought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom