How can I change amp / cab channels at same time w/o using scenes?

LeonC

Inspired
I frequently use an "effects-oriented" preset (as opposed to a "scene-oriented" preset) in which I'd like to be able to change the amp and cab channels simultaneously on a footswitch. Why not use scenes? Well...I have been but the issue goes like this:

Let's say I'm using amp and cab channel A on a particular performance. I normally have the Delay block bypassed but I can turn it on/off on an ad hoc basis with one of my footswitches. So I've engaged the Delay block at a certain point and I want it to stay on when I switch to channel B (in the amp and cab blocks). If I use scenes to do this, I lose the Delay's engaged state--it will revert to its bypassed state--when I change scenes (which IS normally how I want scene-switching to work).

Scene Ignore? Never heard of this...can't find anything about it in FM9 Owners Manual...???

You can use a Control Switch assigned to Bypass of the Delay block and then set CS Per Scene to "LAST" for all scenes.

This is the best you can do until we get Scene Ignore.

Yep, that will do it. It's a kludge--but it would appear that's all we have at this point. The reality is that my example was dumbed down to make it easier to explain the issue with an example. The fact is I want my Reverb, Delay, GEQ, Drive, Comp and Trem to all work this way and I'm already using two control switches for other stuff, lol...but this is as good as it gets. Thanks for the suggestion, I was unaware of the "Last" option as I've only had the FM9 a couple weeks.

Oh...I forgot to add the related question: how do you change the channel of two blocks (amp and cab) at the same time w/o using a scene?

Oh...I forgot to add the related question: how do you change the channel of two blocks (amp and cab) at the same time w/o using a scene?
Might depend on your setup and use, but one trick I have used before is to have either Multiplex or Mixer early in my patch, then use its A/B/C/D channel to select which row (or for mixer/ mix of rows) I wanted - then have 2 amp/cab on sep rows tied back to my effects row. Can even use an exp pedal on mixer to morph between... creates some pretty cool sounds and transitions

Haven't done it, also but don't know why you couldn't just have a volume pedal block followed by two amps/cabs rows where the amps are set to LEFT in or RIGHT in depending on which one get the signal (amps are MONO anyway), then A/B channel on the PAN for the vol pedal.

There is always many options in the FAS world. Plus I use all 6 CS switches to send MIDI commands to my lights, so had to find other solutions anyway

Might depend on your setup and use, but one trick I have used before is to have either Multiplex or Mixer early in my patch, then use its A/B/C/D channel to select which row (or for mixer/ mix of rows) I wanted - then have 2 amp/cab on sep rows tied back to my effects row. Can even use an exp pedal on mixer to morph between... creates some pretty cool sounds and transitions

Haven't done it, also but don't know why you couldn't just have a volume pedal block followed by two amps/cabs rows where the amps are set to LEFT in or RIGHT in depending on which one get the signal (amps are MONO anyway), then A/B channel on the PAN for the vol pedal.

There is always many options in the FAS world. Plus I use all 6 CS switches to send MIDI commands to my lights, so had to find other solutions anyway
Not exactly what I was hoping for (being able to switch between amps/cabs on two channels, not two separate amp/cab blocks) but your first suggestion seems like it may accomplish the same thing, albeit using a bit more CPU/resources. I've not used either the mixer or multiplexer yet, but I'll give it a try. Thanks very much for the tip!

Say, is there a general area/thread here in Fractal Forum land for feature requests?
The Axe Fx III and FM3 have dedicated Wish List and Bug sub-forums. The FM9 still does not... I'm puzzled as to why not, but for now you can just post in the FM9 Discussion forum.

You might want to search the Axe Fx III and FM3 Wish List forums before posting as there have been numerous wishes and conversations about "channel linking" ideas.

Edit:

Here's a simple search that shows a few:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/search/1086159/?q=Channel+linking&c[title_only]=1&o=date

The Axe Fx III and FM3 have dedicated Wish List and Bug sub-forums. The FM9 still does not... I'm puzzled as to why not, but for now you can just post in the FM9 Discussion forum.

You might want to search the Axe Fx III and FM3 Wish List forums before posting as there have been numerous wishes and conversations about "channel linking" ideas.

Edit:

Here's a simple search that shows a few:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/search/1086159/?q=Channel+linking&c[title_only]=1&o=date
It’s good to read through the master wish list spreadsheet that Yek maintains too, as it aggregates the requests from the different forums. it contains links to the various threads; there are a lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom