How boutique is boutique?

Yeah....

It's still annoying sometimes.
Oh I totally agree!
Which reminds me..., since so many words in English have different meanings than they used to, I try (when I think about it) to consider our non-English-as-a-first-language members here when posting, and avoid certain slang.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/boutique

It's a marketing trend that caused an association with quality that was never actually a part of that word before people tried to list it as a selling point.

Probably because it sounds fancy....which is also not originally a requirement for that word.
My point wasn't to debate the word boutique, it was more along the lines of paying $2,000 some odd dollars for a sketchy 12W combo. The marketing for this shite is insane. Buyer beware.

My point wasn't to debate the word boutique, it was more along the lines of paying $2,000 some odd dollars for a sketchy 12W combo. The marketing for this shite is insane. Buyer beware.
Yeah....that's basically what I meant. I just didn't make all the jumps.

When the first boutique amp builders (e.g., Jim Marshall) came about, it was because they were making amps in the back of their shop and selling them there, rather than having a distribution network and getting them other places. And they kind of took over the business. (Wasn't Jim Marshall a drummer?)

When some of these modern "boutique" guys started, the same basic thing was probably true....they happened to be interested in electronics and/or were repairing amps, decided to mod them, then decided to build them, and opened a shop to sell them. Or it took over their repair business. Or they outgrew the back room of the shop they worked in. Or they transitioned from assembling full rigs and perhaps building components to mostly building products on a still relatively small but bigger than custom scale. Most of them were one of those, unless I'm mistaken.

E.g., more or less they all opened a boutique for their products. The term very well may have meant that they were only sold in the maker's dedicated boutiques....the original definition.

IDK whether it was someone who knew something about marketing or people just inferring things from most boutiques being focused on the high-end of whatever market. Because...well, why would anyone want to open a Firefly or Vintage (the brand) boutique instead of selling a whole range of guitars? Especially after you had to compete with Amazon and Guitar Center. But, at some point that original definition (that fit, at least for a while) got conflated with high-end, despite not directly meaning it. And everyone started using it wrong.

In a very real way, Fractal is more "boutique" than Tone King. They both make great products, and they're both very much high end...but only one of them has a distribution network.

I remember back in the day when Mesa/Boogie was considered "boutique"...
Yeah.

They started exactly as I said and were the model for one of my stories....repairing then modifying out of the back of a shop, some people (notably Carlos Santana, who gave them their name) really loved them, so they opened a small shop and started growing. Literally boutique, then outgrew it.

Yeah.

They started exactly as I said and were the model for one of my stories....repairing then modifying out of the back of a shop, some people (notably Carlos Santana, who gave them their name) really loved them, so they opened a small shop and started growing. Literally boutique, then outgrew it.
A amp repairman I knew long ago swears that they were copies of the old Carvin combos with the built in GEQ

Last edited:
Yeah.

That's sort of the point when an amp ceases to be boutique. Once they get "discovered" and become the hot ticket item. It then becomes a matter of trying ramp up production. That is unless your name was Alexander Dumble.

Back
Top Bottom