How best to recover from this strange problem?

Eric T Amble

Inspired
Hi everybody,
So in my cover band I have about 40 presets, one per song, that tries to cop the original setup and tone.
I play a gig last weekend, and some of them are silent! At home, looking at it with Axe-Edit, I find:
On seemingly random presets, one or more random blocks simply don't work, like they're corrupt. Deleting and re-adding the block makes it work fine again.
So it looks like my Axe-Fx II's memory got swiss-cheesed somehow.
But how? What would cause something as weird as that? And it is something I should worry about? And, most important, should I re-install firmware and all presets and cabs to make sure there's no other corruption?

Thanks!
Eric

That's odd. Are you possibly assigning an expression pedal to the patch that's not present when you were playing live?

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at all of my (non-gig) presets tonight--maybe one or more of them still has the "swiss-cheese" problem. We _did_ trip the breaker once at the gig that night; but it wasn't on the circuit feeding my Axe (and I have a power conditioner to boot). Nevertheless, could there be a relationship? Sorry, I get a little OCD over my Fractal stuff... ;)

Two things generally cause a 'silent patch' - No proper speaker IR loaded for the patch (check!), and having an external controller tied to a volume/level/mix control.

Hi everybody,
So in my cover band I have about 40 presets, one per song, that tries to cop the original setup and tone.
I play a gig last weekend, and some of them are silent! At home, looking at it with Axe-Edit, I find:
On seemingly random presets, one or more random blocks simply don't work, like they're corrupt. Deleting and re-adding the block makes it work fine again.
So it looks like my Axe-Fx II's memory got swiss-cheesed somehow.
But how? What would cause something as weird as that? And it is something I should worry about? And, most important, should I re-install firmware and all presets and cabs to make sure there's no other corruption?

Thanks!
Eric

I've had similar problems with blocks randomly changing bypass and or x/y status after being saved in AxeEdit when I come back and play the unit. Still haven't figured out why. I hope I get it sorted out before my first live show with it next month. I've already had to stop a couple of times in rehearsal to fix a scene within a preset that wasn't how I saved it...I won't be able to do that live.

I've had similar problems with blocks randomly changing bypass and or x/y status after being saved in AxeEdit when I come back and play the unit. Still haven't figured out why. I hope I get it sorted out before my first live show with it next month. I've already had to stop a couple of times in rehearsal to fix a scene within a preset that wasn't how I saved it...I won't be able to do that live.
if it happens again, please let us know and upload the preset so we can help.

if it happens again, please let us know and upload the preset so we can help.

Thanks...I'll do that...but it's happened on random presets that I've saved (9 presets in total...I haven't made more than that yet) and not always the same presets and not always the same effects blocks. Oddly enough it's never happened on an amp block (I don't use speaker blocks in my current presets). I've tried looking for some rhyme or reason to it and I'm just not finding it...but next time it happens I'll upload it for you to check out. Thanks for your help. :)

Hi everybody,

Well, there's good news and bad news.
Bad news first: all of my presets are OK now, so I can't replicate the problem or give an example :rolleyes:
Good news: we'll give Murphy's Law another chance to act on my Axe-Fx II this weekend!

Just in case, have your backup rig (pedals/preamp, etc.) in-line and ready to go. I'll bet you've already thought of that, though, right? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom