How badass is this bass tone? (Karnivool - Simple Boy cover)

harsh

Inspired

This song has what has gotta be my favourite bass tone ever. My patch has a compressed low-passed clean, and distorted highs. Then, the DI was split into 3 frequencies and processed separately. So, about 5 different frequencies working together to get there. The guitars were via a mid gain 5150 patch...nothing special there.

so, what do u guys think?

Uh... yep. That bass tone is badass! And I'm in agreement here that just being able to take a look at your patch... would also be pretty badass! ;)

Thanks for all the comments, guys...really appreciate it. TBH, I'm not certain how much the patch would help, because the amount of processing that went into that tone on the DAW was pretty substantial. But I have an idea - how about I share the patch if hit a thousand plays? What do you think?

Well.. you could Tone Match it.. And share the preset. You know the bass presets for bass players in here (forum) is on the -side.

Or you can hope that 1000 Plays will come Your way,haha.

Have fun!

The original is also my favorite bass tone. That's pretty good but the original has more gain and less bass. It probably sounds that good because it's using guitar frequencies. ;)

The original is also my favorite bass tone. That's pretty good but the original has more gain and less bass.

I'm hearing that too... and the initial guitar isn't panned so hard either.

But excellent playing :)

I want to know how much of Jono's sound is his Warwick, his hands, or his amps/effects. I have a Musicman Sterling and nothing I ever do sounds even ballpark to that. And I've tried a bunch of times to pull those sorts of tones. So I've been considering for a long time swapping basses. But I need the better part of $1k to make that happen, and I'm still recovering from the Ultra->Axefx2 upgrade ;-)

Last edited:
I'm hearing that too... and the initial guitar isn't panned so hard either.

But excellent playing :)

I want to know how much of Jono's sound is his Warwick, his hands, or his amps/effects. I have a Musicman Sterling and nothing I ever do sounds even ballpark to that. And I've tried a bunch of times to pull those sorts of tones. So I've been considering for a long time swapping basses. But I need the better part of $1k to make that happen, and I'm still recovering from the Ultra->Axefx2 upgrade ;-)

Agreed, Clark. I could have distorted it further, but I was pretty happy with how it sounded. The original is also automated so that the gain and level reduce as the song goes into the first verse, but I didnt bother with that.

Fret - Karnivool use a lot of effects on their guitars. The original has this reverb/delay layer under the guitars that fills out the spectrum nicely even with just one guitar playing. I struggled with replicating that, so I went with just my usual guitar mix technique.

IMHO, I don't think you need a VERY expensive bass to get a good tone. I'm not even a bassist, and I used a £200 Vintage bass with 6 month old strings (granted I got very lucky with this bass - I think it actually sounds better than my mate's Warwick which is about 10 times more expensive). The "tone is in the fingers" phrase is thrown about a lot, but it is true to some extent. You could get a great tone with your existing gear by analysing how your frequencies work together.

After listening to this mix a few times..can someone give me some advice on snare reverb? I just cant seem to get it right - its either too roomy, or too dry. Mine seems to be taking the impact away from the snare. I'm running a parallel reverb with an EQ hi-passed at 160 hz on the chain before that, and then a compressor with a 4:1 ratio. I hear some mixes where theres a large amount of reverb on the snare, which somehow gets sucked down before the next snare hit, making the snare sound huge. How do you go about that?

After listening to this mix a few times..can someone give me some advice on snare reverb? I just cant seem to get it right - its either too roomy, or too dry. Mine seems to be taking the impact away from the snare. I'm running a parallel reverb with an EQ hi-passed at 160 hz on the chain before that, and then a compressor with a 4:1 ratio. I hear some mixes where theres a large amount of reverb on the snare, which somehow gets sucked down before the next snare hit, making the snare sound huge. How do you go about that?

If you like my post a 1000 times, I'll tell you how. ;-)

Not sure, but this may help you with your snare reverb, attached is a section of a post from BigD1997 in :

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...improve-mixing-skills-tone-criticism-etc.html

"Drums: The samples sound a little 'roomy' (especially at the breakdown after the first heavy bit), so try to reduce the room mic spill a little bit. Use sends to bring a seperate drum mix out to a stereo bus and compress the hell out of it. A good comp to use is an 1176 (or an emulation) and make sure to push all the ration buttons together (this is what the 1176 is famous for and any emulation should have an 'all' switch for this). This results in a pumping drum sound. Increase the input to taste, then mix this sound in with the dry drums. Send the snare to a reverb separately, and chain the effects this way - Reverb (Mix at 100%) to compressor (sidechain input should be set to the snare dry channel) to gate (sidechain set to snare dry channel). The reverb is the effect, the compressor should be set to make it duck when the snare is hit, and the gate should be set with a long release to tame the end of the reverb so it doesn't ring on forever. Then mix all three stems to a stereo send, and use a compressor on this to make the drums pump a little more for power. You can also use a multiband compressor for this. Then, apply a stereo widener or some form of M-S processor to widen the stereo field on the drums."

Thanks, Duke. I did read that post..I was missing the gate + sidechain trick. I'll try that out tonight.

Back
Top Bottom