How are you using the AFX for recording?

ctyelvis

I'm currently using Pro Tools as my DAW and here's my little way of recording the AFX....

While I may record a guitar or bass part directly from the AFX into PT, what I usually do has been to record the initial guitar parts using a plug like Amp Farm, (or just plug in the Bass direct and record it that way). I then remove the plug-ins so I have my dry Guitar & Bass signal recorded. Then, with the Pro Tools delay compensation feature engaged, I feed those dry Guitar or Bass signals into the AFX mono, and bring the newly processed (Guitar or Bass) signal back out of the AFX (in stereo or sometimes mono), onto a brand new, (stereo or mono) audio track. It works great!!
It's sooo Cool to be able to go through any patch on the AFX and demo it in the actual track (just like using a plug-in). Then when I get the sound I want, arm the track and record it. I'll keep the original dry guitar and bass tracks , in case I have a change of heart about the patch that was used. It's very cool to say the least!!
:D
I was wondering how others are using the AFX in their recording setups?

-Chris

That's a good idea, I just split the signal so I always record a direct track parallel to whatever else I'm recording. I've never had to use the direct signal, but it's there anyway :)

I am not a big friend of re-amping. My Axe-Fx goes into my Soundtracs console and from there directly trough my Digi 002 into Pro Tools. I choose a sound first and settle with that. If I had to option to change the guitar tone later I would never been able to finish the mix ;-). I am trying to self-cure my "unability to commit"-syndrome by limiting the options I have...

RiF said:
I am not a big friend of re-amping. My Axe-Fx goes into my Soundtracs console and from there directly trough my Digi 002 into Pro Tools. I choose a sound first and settle with that. If I had to option to change the guitar tone later I would never been able to finish the mix ;-). I am trying to self-cure my "unability to commit"-syndrome by limiting the options I have...

yea i know exactly what you mean, having so many options is often paralyzing

RiF said:
Same here. Doing it the old school way :D

I'm doing it *really* old school--no PCs involved whatsoever until I convert to mp3 and upload.

This is as good a time as any to introduce my crazy signal path:

guitar --> Axe-FX input 1 to FX Loop out --> Power amp (Peavey 50/50 or Carvin DCM600) --> Grendel Dead Room iso cabinet w/Celestion V30 --> Audix i5 microphone --> ART Digital MPA II mic preamp --> Axe-FX FX Loop in to output 1 --> Korg D3200 tabletop recorder.

In this setup, I use the Axe-FX for everything but cabinet simulation. If I use the Peavey 50/50, I set the volume on it very low so that I'm not getting any tube saturation and get my power amp 'sound' from the Axe-FX.

I've also got some other rack gear that I can substitute for the amp sims in the Axe-FX, in which case I use the same basic signal chain but add in a preamp between the FX Loop output and the power amp. With my Peavey Rock Master, I'll typically choose the Peavey 50/50, but I have a Mesa 50/50 power amp that I can use if I want to use my Mesa Quad preamp. The Quad doesn't play well with the Peavey power amp, for some reason--gets very harsh. However, the Axe-FX does Mesa Mark-type sims so well, that I've haven't been using the Quad that much .

This is primarily for my lead guitar sounds, for which I've never gotten a satisfactory sound from cabinet sims, even though the cab sims in the Axe-FX are better than anything else out there. For heavy rhythm guitars, which I don't use very often, I'm more likely to use cabinet sims. The Grendel Dead Room has a bigger sound than a normal 1x12 cabinet would, but it certainly won't get you into oversized 4x12 territory.

I should probably also point out that my ideal lead tone is sort of a cross between Allan Holdsworth and Frank Zappa. Very fat and juicy. Not the sort of thing that you'd put on top of tons of distorted rhythm guitars, but that's not what I'm interested in anymore.

Back
Top Bottom