HOW ARE YOU SPENDING NEW YEARS EVE 2018?

bradlake

Axe-Master
Anyone wanna share their exciting Plans/gigs for tonight? I, for one, having had more than my share of gigging this night, and dealing with the throngs of amateur Partiers paying top dollar for the worst F/B service of the year, I’m gonna stay home..and play some geetar...unless of course, I get my last minute invite to some celebrity-ridden mansion/yacht debauch across Biscayne bay here in the Magic City...:D

Last edited:
Doing some rehearsing, then mixing this afternoon, then dinner with band mates. I will be back home well before midnight and will
be snoozing away when the ball drops.

I have a few friends talking about doing something this evening, but I'll probably stick around home. Spend the day watching a little college football and recording, then if I know the way things are I'll be in bed early and wake to the sounds for fireworks around midnight... sigh...

Our whole family are going to another couple's house for food n drink.

I stopped playing NYE shows too. After years of playing all the major holidays, I started staying home.

ditto. Probably gigged every NYE for about 25-30 years. Not missing it and happy to stay local with family and friends. OTOH, I were offered a NYE gig with significant financial incentives, I'm sure I'd be out there doing it, counting the dollars with every minute.

It was less apparent to me at the time as an active, traveling, gigging musician/mixer because I was just doing what I enjoyed and making hay while the sun shined. In retrospect, though, I need to make up for a LOT of lost time from years past, unable to spend any time with family/friends on virtually every major holiday due to my gig schedule.

As a parent now, I can see how hard it must be - especially for your loved ones - to not hear from you or see you for months on end. I've made it a point to be more available for holidays, birthdays, and personal events, now that I've actively pulled myself from doing gigs as a full-time venture, and I'm much happier for it. There's more to life than doing YET ANOTHER gig for a bunch of people hell bent on getting drunk, even when the money's good. That said, I've also got some fond and fun memories of past NYE gigs I've done.

"Youth is wasted on the young."

ditto. Probably gigged every NYE for about 25-30 years. Not missing it and happy to stay local with family and friends. OTOH, I were offered a NYE gig with significant financial incentives, I'm sure I'd be out there doing it, counting the dollars with every minute.

It was less apparent to me at the time as an active, traveling, gigging musician/mixer because I was just doing what I enjoyed and making hay while the sun shined. In retrospect, though, I need to make up for a LOT of lost time from years past, unable to spend any time with family/friends on virtually every major holiday due to my gig schedule.

As a parent now, I can see how hard it must be - especially for your loved ones - to not hear from you or see you for months on end. I've made it a point to be more available for holidays, birthdays, and personal events, now that I've actively pulled myself from doing gigs as a full-time venture, and I'm much happier for it. There's more to life than doing YET ANOTHER gig for a bunch of people hell bent on getting drunk, even when the money's good. That said, I've also got some fond and fun memories of past NYE gigs I've done.

"Youth is wasted on the young."

Same sentiment here. Wouldn't give up the memories of all the shows over the years, but know I missed a lot of valuable family time in the process.

One of my bands is a David Bowie tribute, and we have two shows tonight at the Triple Door in Seattle. We're doing different sets for each show. In total it's about five hours of playing, with a break in the middle while they empty / reset the room for the late performance.
https://tickets.thetripledoor.net/eventperformances.asp?evt=1360

It'll be a fun way to ring in the year of the Diamond Dog :)
Damn, I almost made an impulse trip to Seattle for the weekend...had I known, That would have closed the deal..there ain’t Shite as far as good rock going on in south Florida tonight....I’ve wanted to check out BowieVision since you first posted a performance here, which was considerably before he passed..your shows must have an extra patina of bittersweet now....

Damn, I almost made an impulse trip to Seattle for the weekend...had I known, That would have closed the deal..there ain’t ****e as far as good rock going on in south Florida tonight....I’ve wanted to check out BowieVision since you first posted a performance here, which was considerably before he passed..your shows must have an extra patina of bittersweet now....
Thanks! Next time I'll give you more advance notice :) We added some material from "Blackstar", and it's especially challenging to recreate those stark soundscapes. It's still a blast to work with this band, and I keep learning new insight by decoding those great guitar parts.

I'll be drinking mimosas and playing garry's mod with some fine folks in my "mil-sim" gaming community (clan, guild, unit whatever). Fairly relaxed day I'd say. Just been teaching myself piano and working on some metal riffs in reaper *chugga chug chug*

My girlfriend is coming over and we are just going to stay in, drink some wine, eat and snack, watch a movie, and stay warm. It's -23C on the thermometer, -39C with the wind chill (-9F/-38.2F), and I'm in no mood to go anywhere else o_O With that wind chill it's nasty cold...

I don't mind not playing NYE either, I haven't for a couple of years. I'd rather eat myself into a food coma, stay warm, and veg.

Happy New Years everybody...!!

I'm another one who's played my share of NYE gigs, but happy to just be gelling at home tonight. The wife and I are headed out for an early dinner at a favorite restaurant, then back home to do nothing more significant than keeping the dog calm after all the fireworks (and gunfire, unfortunately) start going.

It's -23C on the thermometer, -39C with the wind chill (-9F/-38.2F), and I'm in no mood to go anywhere else o_O With that wind chill it's nasty cold...
Hahhhhaaaaa. Oh man, you know what I don't miss tonight? That! My parents were complaining they cancelled the parliament hill concert. They were still going to go those crazy nutters.

I had to convince the kids to wear pants, not shorts outside today for our walk because the breeze had it a little chilly at 14ºC here in Fremont. I'm good with this.

Back
Top Bottom