How about an Axe-Fx for Dummies In depth DVD?

Would you like to see a DVD tutorial?

• Total voters
Gainzilla said:
Seriously, Some of(read practically all) of you guys absolutely boggle me with the stuff that you talk about because its so over my head. It kills me because Im a pretty smart guy( BS Biochemistry, MS Biochem/Molecular Bio and an MD, all from an Ivy league school) but Im so Tech Challenged when it comes to this stuff. So far, Im dealing with a big intimidation factor...
Ive been told that the unit is fairly intuitive but not enough for me. I dont own it yet but I want to and Im a bit afraid that my lack of savvy will cause me to give up short of realizing the beauty and wonder that lies within...
Thanks
Kage
Just a quick note to reassure you. Even though the AxeFX can allow advanced users to delve deep into esoteric parameters, the Axe can also be used straight out of the box. The factory presets may not be perfect for everyone (though they have recently imrpoved dramatically), but you are sure to find at least one or a few factory presets that you can use as a building block to create your own patches. Initially, you can limit your editing to simple "macro" level changes - a different amp model, a different cab model, adding or removing some effects blocks - as well as simple edits that come naturally - adjusting the tone controls or the gain level on the amp block (all things that you already know how to do if you ever used a guitar amp).

Leave the deep editing for when (if ever) you have already increased your level of comfort with the unit.

This is not a vote against your suggestion (videos would be great), just a suggestion to keep the initial usage simple.

The Axe can be a frighteningly complex and powerful beast, but it can also operate like a simple "virtual" guitar rack (or amp and pedalboard). Don't be afraid to use it in its "simple" mode. Its "complex" mode is not necessarily for everybody (and certainly not for initial first-time-ever usage).

Daniel

Equally helpful would be for all parameters to be defined in layman's terms in the manual. This is where I find the manual to be inconsistent. Parameters are described very well in some instances, but in others we're expected to know the difference between things like "Feedback L" and "Feedback L->R" The multi-delay is especially puzzling. Describing sound is pretty subjective, but there are probably some more places in the manual where a blurb like "this parameter does ___________ to the sound of the effect" would be feasible and most welcome.

It would also be excellent to have some of the description for the parameters lifted from the manual and incorporated into the editor. Tooltips would be too intrusive due to the amount of text, but some kind of Help side panel would be cool. It's hard to tweak, hold a guitar, and flip pages in a manual at the same time! Right now, to test some of the more cryptic parameters I find myself putting the looper in front of the effect, setting my guitar down, and twisting knobs (pain in the butt). Some basic description to spark the user's memory regarding what the parameter does would be immensely helpful in creating patches in the editor.

TeeJay did a brilliant DVD for the Boss GT-8 and had since picked up an Axe-Fx. The smaller Axe-Fx market and/or his current Axe-Fx experience may influence whether he would do an Axe-Fx DVD. Personally, I'm not in the market for an Axe-Fx DVD as I am getting the sounds I like out of it. However, if TeeJay did one, I'd buy it.

That being said, YouTube vids are the next best thing.

Necropost . . .

I'd like to see a video that does something like some web programming examples do, a sample patch from Axechange and the video saying "twiddle this dealie does this. twaddle this dangle, does this. hear it? You can do get a smooth/crunch/gritty/mellow/etc/etc sound by modifying them."

Because there's so many parameters I'll never understand, I wouldn't know where to begin to help or hurt my tone . .

Dpoirier said:
Gainzilla said:
Seriously, Some of(read practically all) of you guys absolutely boggle me with the stuff that you talk about because its so over my head. It kills me because Im a pretty smart guy( BS Biochemistry, MS Biochem/Molecular Bio and an MD, all from an Ivy league school) but Im so Tech Challenged when it comes to this stuff. So far, Im dealing with a big intimidation factor...
Ive been told that the unit is fairly intuitive but not enough for me. I dont own it yet but I want to and Im a bit afraid that my lack of savvy will cause me to give up short of realizing the beauty and wonder that lies within...
Thanks
Kage
Just a quick note to reassure you. Even though the AxeFX can allow advanced users to delve deep into esoteric parameters, the Axe can also be used straight out of the box. The factory presets may not be perfect for everyone (though they have recently imrpoved dramatically), but you are sure to find at least one or a few factory presets that you can use as a building block to create your own patches. Initially, you can limit your editing to simple "macro" level changes - a different amp model, a different cab model, adding or removing some effects blocks - as well as simple edits that come naturally - adjusting the tone controls or the gain level on the amp block (all things that you already know how to do if you ever used a guitar amp).

Leave the deep editing for when (if ever) you have already increased your level of comfort with the unit.

This is not a vote against your suggestion (videos would be great), just a suggestion to keep the initial usage simple.

The Axe can be a frighteningly complex and powerful beast, but it can also operate like a simple "virtual" guitar rack (or amp and pedalboard). Don't be afraid to use it in its "simple" mode. Its "complex" mode is not necessarily for everybody (and certainly not for initial first-time-ever usage).

Daniel

+1

I'm a tweaker by nature. However, I've had my Axe for maybe 3 weeks now, and so far I've mainly limited myself to the more basic things, as I'm aware of how easily you can get completely lost if you jump straight into all the advanced stuff.

Most of the patches I've got dialed in so far are basic amp->cab type things (maybe a drive block too, some basic delay, ec.), which really is no more complex than tweaking a basic real amp set up. If you view the Axe as a rig in itself and take each component for what it is (and have some kind of goal in your tweaking), it's a lot easier to stay focused. You don't fire up a 14U rack full of preamps and FX 'n' whatnot, turn everything on at once and then stare at all the controls in confusion. You start with the basic tones, and then build it up from there. Same goes with the Axe (and any other all-in-one kind of unit really). And then once you start getting into it and have a feel for how the basics work, you can begin looking at more advanced parameters (of which I myself am only just starting with some of).

I think the Youtube idea would be good, if people would contribute, especially for the more advanced functions in some of the effects and whatnot. There are some people here with some great ideas on how to use this thing; stuff I'd probably never think of on my own! ;)

Back
Top Bottom