AFIII House of Pain clip - for Phil X

Marantz

Inspired
Phil X, who I love! ... said a while back that the Axe FX 3 lacked "Violence", huh??. Listen to this admittedly sonically imperfect clip of Van Halens House of Pain, it doesn't lack "violence" to my ears, maybe you want less 500 or 5000 hertz, ok, just EQ to taste, maybe widen the tone etc, etc, etc ... but aggression? It's there Phil, and I dig you man. This is pure Axe Fx 3, no post processing at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind of words guys, I'll try finding the preset on Saturday. One question though, I'm pretty sure I was using third party IRs, if I save the preset with those third-party IRS, what happens on your end when you import the preset?

Very nice sound and playing!

If you share the preset with third party IRs, those will not be shared (correct me if I’m wrong on this someone).

I used two Cabs, one cab going into another, this gives the tone 'girth', I used to do this when I used Amp Sims, in other words, anything modelling based I found I'd have to follow one cabinet with another to gain girth, and reduce the brittleness.

The 3rd party IRs were an ML-MS-OS-Rugged followed by an ML-MEGA-MIX-TEETH.

I like these cabs a lot, I always find myself ending up with them after a ton of experimentation.

Last edited:
all terms used to describe whatever the AxeFx "lacks" usually just boil down to how and how loudly the person is monitoring....

Sounds great! Can't wait to sample the patch (thanks for sharing)! I do think I like the 3rd party IR clip a bit more. Curious to see what may need to be tweaked (or not!) to sit with drums, bass, etc.

Sounds great! Can't wait to sample the patch (thanks for sharing)! I do think I like the 3rd party IR clip a bit more. Curious to see what may need to be tweaked (or not!) to sit with drums, bass, etc.

The EQs in the Axe 3 are really powerful, the first take can be imitated pretty closely ( I think ) by taking the patch and notching up somewhere around the 500 to 1k region and reducing around 100.

I used two Cabs, one cab going into another, this gives the tone 'girth', I used to do this when I used Amp Sims, in other words, anything modelling based I found I'd have to follow one cabinet with another to gain girth, and reduce the brittleness.

The 3rd party IRs were an ML-MS-OS-Rugged followed by an ML-MEGA-MIX-TEETH.

I like these cabs a lot, I always find myself ending up with them after a ton of experimentation.
Dude your preset sounds amazing!! Everything I’ve been looking for in a Van Halen tone! Could you send me a link to the IR pack you purchased? I’m searching on Google to buy them, but can’t seem to find where they are. I’d like to throw those in there, as I’m totally digging the sound of the first clip.

Back
Top Bottom