hours of usage a day?

sk8te4free7

Inspired
I'm the kind of person that cares about everything even when it comes to the littlest things and details. When I use my axe i always worry (for some odd reason) about the amount of hours its being used and so i only can play for about 2 1/2 hours straight then i "give the axe-fx a break". In the back of my mind i always wonder if my axe will fry on my like i've seen a few issues about that kinda situation on here before to some people.

I've never had any issues with mine since i've bought it back in late 2011 but just curious... how many hours a day do you guys typically use your axe for? and do you ever think the same as i do? lol

Electronics does not care much about time, as long as the temeperature is right. ;)
Well ofcourse the components have estimated life time, but most components will outlive you.

Which is worse; leaving the Axe on for 8 hours in a strech e.g. in a studio session, or turning it on and off 3-4 times during the same 8 hour stretch for the breaks?

Which is worse; leaving the Axe on for 8 hours in a strech e.g. in a studio session, or turning it on and off 3-4 times during the same 8 hour stretch for the breaks?

It sounds like a tube amp but does not care as much how many times it gets turned on/off.

It sounds like a tube amp but does not care as much how many times it gets turned on/off.

The only thing i can think of that could be bad is if you turn on a tube amp and let it get warm, turn it off and let it cool, and repeat this a LOT of times.
That might wear out the tubes faster. It might, but tubes are quite sturdy stuff, until they breake! :mrgreen

It's a tool, stop romancing it. Does a roofer go home after his 250th nail to spare his hammer?

If it wears out, you fix or replace it, just like you'd fix or repair an automobile.

If you would be in trouble when your unit is out for repair, get a spare, as several us have.

I'm the kind of person that cares about everything even when it comes to the littlest things and details. When I use my axe i always worry (for some odd reason) about the amount of hours its being used and so i only can play for about 2 1/2 hours straight then i "give the axe-fx a break". In the back of my mind i always wonder if my axe will fry on my like i've seen a few issues about that kinda situation on here before to some people.

I've never had any issues with mine since i've bought it back in late 2011 but just curious... how many hours a day do you guys typically use your axe for? and do you ever think the same as i do? lol

I am the opposite. Experience has taught me it is best to leave gear and computers on in the studio environment. My AXE is on 24/7 and has been off only twice for updates since I bought it (2 weeks). It is connected to clean power and a surge device. I expect it to last for years and years this way. It has space for air flow and will be kept free of dust. The AXE is essentially a computer in many ways. It is more damaging in the end to the components to receive a constant on-off voltage over and over. When electronic gear fries it happens during on/off cycles. The AXE is not 'electronic' gear per se, but I treat it as a processor, which it is. I suggest doing some research and then putting your mind to ease. Shutting off your gear after 2 hours is so limiting and un-needed. Cheers and good luck!

If it isn't too hot, too cold or wet... it doesn't matter. It'll work. It's a tool, not anything less or more.

Every one of the Axe FX I have owned I have always turned them on and off when I needed to, literally thousands of on/off cycles for me with out incident.

If I am programming, that can be up to 4 hours. When I play, I power up at 7am, and do not power down until 12:15pm. I turn my Axe on and off via a power strip in my rack, so I don't use the front panel power switch, unless I am following the onscreen instructions right after a firmware upgrade to turn it off for 5 seconds and back on again. I like the refrigerator analogy, but I tend to treat mine more like a television. If I need it on from 8am to midnight in one day - that's what will happen. But I will turn it off before I go to bed for the night. I don't stagger my tv watching for the day to give the tv a rest, so I don't wear it out too fast.

For what it's worth, the Axe is much more like a computer on the inside than standard/vintage audio gear. I'm not sure about leaving it on 24/7, but extended runtimes shouldn't be an issue as long as it's not too hot. I'd suggest treating it similar to how you would a laptop.

Back
Top Bottom