Hotel California

Jalevinemd

Inspired
So we just added this to the setlist. My co guitarist might not be able to make the next show, so there's a good chance I'm going to be handling all lead guitar duties. Does anyone know the interval for the harmonizing outro solo? I'd like to be able to do both guitar parts.

So we just added this to the setlist. My co guitarist might not be able to make the next show, so there's a good chance I'm going to be handling all lead guitar duties. Does anyone know the interval for the harmonizing outro solo? I'd like to be able to do both guitar parts.
Mark Day did a YouTube video on setting up harmonizer presets.

Search that.

Use custom shifter block type. Configure 4 global scales like this:

Code:
Scale 1:

A : -5
A#: -3
B : -5
C : -3
C#: -4
D : -3
D#: -3
E : -3
F : -3
F#: -4
G : -3
G#: -4

Scale 2:

A : -3
A#: -4
B : -3
C#: -3
D#: -4
F : -4
F#: -5

Scale 3:

B : -4
G : -5

Scale 4:

D : -5
E : -5
G#: -3

Ideally these should be adjacent scale numbers for easiest setup.

Set "Voice 2 Level" to 0%. Assign a scene controller as "Voice 1 Scale" modifier source. Set modifier MIN & MAX to span the range of scale numbers used earlier. Set the scene controller's values to 0% 33% 66% 100% in 4 adjacent scenes, and enable the pitch block in all these scenes.

Play the higher part and use the scenes/scales in this order, one measure per number:

1 2 1 2 3 4 4 2

You'll see "4" occurs twice in a row, meaning measure 7 is the only one with no scene switching required. If you had enough scenes available, maybe using a preset only for this section, you could set scene controller values to allow a more easily-memorized scene pattern like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 or 1 2 1 2 3 4 5 6.

--------

An alternative pattern of 1 1 2 2 3 4 4 3 is possible with different scale settings. This would require less switching if you only want to do the studio version line. The method detailed above gives correct harmonies for the live variation w/ bends on repeat.

Last edited:
Use custom shifter block type. Configure 4 global scales like this:

Code:
Scale 1:

A#: -3
B : -5
D#: -3

Scale 2:

B : -3
F : -4
F#: -5

Scale 3:

G : -5

Scale 4:

D : -5
E : -5
G#: -3

Ideally these should be adjacent scale numbers for easiest setup.

Set "Voice 2 Level" to 0%. Assign a scene controller as "Voice 1 Scale" modifier source. Set modifier MIN & MAX to span the range of scale numbers used earlier. Set the scene controller's values to 0% 33% 66% 100% in 4 adjacent scenes, and enable the pitch block in all these scenes.

Play the higher part and use the scenes/scales in this order, one measure per number:

1 2 1 2 3 4 4 2

You'll see "4" occurs twice in a row, meaning measure 7 is the only one with no scene switching required. If you had enough scenes available, maybe using a preset only for this section, you could set scene controller values to allow a more easily-memorized scene pattern like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 or 1 2 1 2 3 4 5 6.

--------

An alternative pattern of 1 1 2 2 3 4 4 3 is possible with different scale settings. This would require less switching if you only want to do the studio version line. The method detailed above gives correct harmonies for the live variation w/ bends on repeat.

This is such a wonderfully detailed explanation and yet I don't understand any of it. What the hell is wrong with me?

FX8 manual page 63 mentions global scales. This is the menu to locate for configuring the 4 scales.

Does anyone have the block already made and available to share?

The main issue with this is global scales aren't part of the block data. You'll have to configure those yourself, which might take 3-4 minutes. The pitch block setup probably requires less: from defaults, adjust block type, voice 2 level, mix & level if desired, assign voice 1 scale modifier.

Here's a block saved from the Axe-FX II (Q1.01 fw) but I'm not sure if opening these with FX8-Edit works yet. You'll also need to adjust scene controller 1 values in the Control menu as described earlier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyof3hnqk93egvp/Pitch-4Scene-Scaleselect_20151018_210733.blk

FX8 manual page 63 mentions global scales. This is the menu to locate for configuring the 4 scales.

The main issue with this is global scales aren't part of the block data. You'll have to configure those yourself, which might take 3-4 minutes. The pitch block setup probably requires less: from defaults, adjust block type, voice 2 level, mix & level if desired, assign voice 1 scale modifier.

Here's a block saved from the Axe-FX II (Q1.01 fw) but I'm not sure if opening these with FX8-Edit works yet. You'll also need to adjust scene controller 1 values in the Control menu as described earlier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyof3hnqk93egvp/Pitch-4Scene-Scaleselect_20151018_210733.blk

Thanks...completely missed that in the manual.

If I play the lower notes of the solo, do I just transpose the scale to + instead of - ??
Example:

Scale 1:

A : -5 (to 5 semi)
A#: -3 (to 3 semi)
B : -5 (to 5 semi)

If I play the lower notes of the solo, do I just transpose the scale to + instead of - ?

No, you have to think of what note the pitch block would have generated, and shift that note up to the original (higher) input note. The reason for an A -5 shift is to get E+A. If you play the E instead, you need E +5.

It may not always be possible to just reverse the mapping like that. Here if playing lower part, scale 2 couldn't be used for the 8th measure, but scale 3 has those notes available. So then you'd get this scale order:

1 2 1 2 3 4 4 3

Bakerman, thanks for the reply, I get the scale order but I sill confused with the set up. So I would have to look at the notes of the solos then count the steps between the lower note to the higher note and enter it in the custom scales, correct?

I mostly use the intelligent harmonizer but it didn't gel for Hotel California.
The easy solution is selecting Custom shift - set all the notes at plus 3 semitones except for A, D and G which are plus 4 semitones.
I use just 1 voice and play the lower notes in the phrases. This covers a lot of the twin guitar passages.
You will also need to set the key in the pitch block to A (don't ask me why A when the song is in Bm, but it works). We actually play the song a semitone lower (Eb tuning) so I set the key to Ab which works.
Good luck with this.

Back
Top Bottom