Hope I made the right decision...HUM

I have a evh 5150 iii 2 x 12 combo I LOVE!!!!! gig regularly with it.. Ive been using my hd500 4cm for effects only. The effects were pretty good, but not awesome. And I always had some hum on my dirt (red) channel using this method. Enough that it couldnt be taken out with an ns2 without choking tone. I Couldnt even leave it on in between songs. Some songs, Id switch back and forth between clean and dirt, just to sound quiet during pauses.. Fed up with this, I had my mind made up I was going to buy all new pedals and never do 4cm again. My amp is quiet without 4cm and hd500. I can put any pedals in effects loop with no noise.
After adding up the cost, 1600.00, I decided to research a little more. Seems Fractal had this fx8 figured out for 4cm. I pulled the trigger. Effects are AWESOME!!!!!!! Love the flexibility. No, I didnt buy humbuster cables right away. Was hoping I wouldnt have to. But, on my dirt channel HUUUUUUUUUUUUUM. Way louder and worse then the hd 500. Unusable . Cant even set up patches because I cant stand the noise. I am using pedalsnake.
Awesome product. Ive spent a good amount of money on pedal snake. Want to use it. Ive ordered what I need from them, to humbust, if you will. I dont know if their trs is wired per fractal specs or not, but they claim it will work as I intend when I talked to them. I also read another fx8 user said their trs pigtails did the trick. I will find out saturday. I really do not want to go back to running all those cables back to my amp, and have pedalsnake sitting in the corner for no reason.

I really just hope this all works in the end. Other wise....
pedals?
new amp?

frustrated!

If the TRS cable is not wired as specified in the manual, it will not have the desired effect.

Dumb question. Have you tried the unit without the USB connected to your computer? Mine only hums a little with the USB connected...

SO, got my trs pigtails from pedalsnake today.

big improvement, but still noisy. at least compared to having nothing in my loop. 10db of noise as measured w a sound meter app.

perhaps i am missing out on some other important level settings? general in\out level settings, or gate settings?
If anyone has any tips, ill take them. want this to work.

SO, got my trs pigtails from pedalsnake today.

big improvement, but still noisy. at least compared to having nothing in my loop. 10db of noise as measured w a sound meter app.

perhaps i am missing out on some other important level settings? general in\out level settings, or gate settings?
If anyone has any tips, ill take them. want this to work.

Don't forget that plugging into the FX return on your amp pretty much leaves the power amp wide open...

I don't use 4CM - I'm an FRFR user. I have found the intelligent gate built into the input block to be very useful, and if the patch is extremely high gain, I may use a second gate further down the chain.

Back
Top Bottom