Hooking up Ultra to JVM

Got my ultra going out to the power amp in on my marshall JVM. However, this only allows me to use input and output 1 on the front of the axe. In some diagrams for connecting to guitar amp/cab, it shows 2 cables going out of the axe and into the amp when using it as a preamp. Do I need to plug another cable in somewhere?

Also, in the global settings, what actually controls the overall output? The gain is set to 0.0 but it seems like a 100 tube amp should be alot louder. I have the volume on the amp at noon and the axe's input and output at noon and it's not really that loud. If I were to just run my amp at that volume, my house would fall down.

joviguitarist said:
Got my ultra going out to the power amp in on my marshall JVM. However, this only allows me to use input and output 1 on the front of the axe. In some diagrams for connecting to guitar amp/cab, it shows 2 cables going out of the axe and into the amp when using it as a preamp. Do I need to plug another cable in somewhere?

Also, in the global settings, what actually controls the overall output? The gain is set to 0.0 but it seems like a 100 tube amp should be alot louder. I have the volume on the amp at noon and the axe's input and output at noon and it's not really that loud. If I were to just run my amp at that volume, my house would fall down.

guitar-axe-fx input 1-axe-fx output2 L- jvm input - jvm fx loop out - axe-fx input 2 - axe-fx output 1 - jvm fx loop return.

When you engage the fx loop block on the axe-fx in this senario it will route the signal to output 2, to the front of the JVM.

If the fxloop block is bypassed, it will work like you currently have ot connected.

Volume is set by the front output knob and the global eq has a level as well. Each patch has a mixer setting (last menu in the layout tab). You can only go so high w/ volume software settings before things start to clip.

I understand what you're saying...4cm? But not understanding how you laid it out...everything seems jumbled. So I'm not to use the JVM power amp in at all?? not understanding that.

joviguitarist said:
I understand what you're saying...4cm? But not understanding how you laid it out...everything seems jumbled. So I'm not to use the JVM power amp in at all?? not understanding that.

Fx loop return on amp = poweramp in.

javajunkie said:
joviguitarist said:

really? Then what is the power amp in for? Can you spread that out a little? i can't tell what is what. Much appreciated.

joviguitarist said:
javajunkie said:
joviguitarist said:

really? Then what is the power amp in for? Can you spread that out a little? i can't tell what is what. Much appreciated.

The power amp in is a an fx loop return. That is what it is for. The Preamp out is the fx loop send. I looked at the owners manual of the jvm and it appears to be an additional series fx loop. The other loop is parallel until you set the mix at full.

the cable of your guitar plugs into input 1 of the axefx
the axefx output 2 mono plugs into the main input of your jvm
the jvm fx loop out plugs into the axefx input 2 mono
(you have 2 fx loops on that it seems - use either as long as it is serial - on the parallel/series loop that would be mix at 100%)
the axefx output 1 plugs into the JVM fx loop return (use the same loop as you sent from).

Here is the difference between the 2 loops (from the jvm manual):

SERIAL / PARALLEL FX LOOP (12)
The JVM is equipped with a series / parallel FX
loop. Connect your external FX equipment input
to the JVM SEND jack, and the FX output to the
JVM RETURN jack. As described previously,
this effects loop can be bypassed from the front
panel and the amount of effect can be dialed in
with the MIX control.
The +4dBu/-10dBV switch allows you to
configure the loop for its use with either
professional equipment (+4dBu setting) or with
guitar level effects like effects pedals (-10dBV
setting).
When MIX is set to WET all the signal goes
through the external loop, adding more direct
(unprocessed) signal as you turn it towards
DRY. This allows you to mix any amount of the
external effect without loosing or degrading the
direct signal quality.
When mixing the WET and DRY signals the
external effects processor’s output should be
configured to remove the direct (unprocessed)
signal or unpleasant phasing effects may occur
when mixing it again in the amplifier. If the
amplifier sounds thin after connecting an
external effect check that no direct signal is
being returned from the processor’s output.
Note that if the FX loop is ON and the MIX
control is set to WET without an external
processor connected, the amplifier will be
muted.

POWER AMP INSERT / SERIAL LOOP (13)
This is a passive loop connected right before the
master controls. It is a line level loop so it is
recommended to only use high headroom
devices to avoid signal degradation. Plugging
only into the return jack allows the use of the
JVM’s power section overriding the preamp.
Master controls and the emulated line out are
located after the serial loop so it is still possible
to take advantage of those features when using
an external preamplifier. The loop can be taken
off the circuit by pressing the BYPASS switch,
but as opposed to the Series / Parallel loop this
switch cannot be programmed.

I'm just running through the presets (A,B & C) and also the axechange patches. i just got the Ultra yesterday. Planning on sitting down with it this weekend and doing some tweaking.

joviguitarist said:
I'm just running through the presets (A,B & C) and also the axechange patches. i just got the Ultra yesterday. Planning on sitting down with it this weekend and doing some tweaking.

I assume you have cab and power amp sims set to off?

Depending on your presence setting on your amp the amp sims might be bright. When then power amp sim is off, the presence control on the amps sim can still add brightness.

javajunkie said:
joviguitarist said:

Depending on your presence setting on your amp the amp sims might be bright. When then power amp sim is off, the presence control on the amps sim can still add brightness.

yes, checked to make sure those are off and they are. i'll mess with the amp's controls. I appreciate the help. I'll get the hang of this...I'm an old vetta user so it's not completely chinese to me.

joviguitarist said:
javajunkie said:
joviguitarist said:

yes, checked to make sure those are off and they are. i'll mess with the amp's controls. I appreciate the help. I'll get the hang of this...I'm an old vetta user so it's not completely chinese to me.

Another thing, a lot of the preset are designed w/ a lot of power amp push. That and the warmth parameter tends to temper the highend. You are bypassing that so you may have to compensate.

Back
Top Bottom